Tea Service - How Formal?

WestchesterCruiseFan

While there is also tea in the King's Court, "White Glove" tea service is held in the Queens Room. There is no enforced dress code. Nevertheless, you are right, most man dress up a little more than shorts.

Some passengers dress up like the would for a formal tea in a London hotel, many choose just something nice they are wearing anyway when the spend the day attending lectures or with other inside activities.

On a transatlantic I took last May, passengers wore whatever they happened to be wearing during the day to the teas. This included jeans, and probably would have included shorts if the weather had been warmer.

I've been on the QM2 four times. Especially during the day, the vast majority of people have always dressed MUCH MORE CASUALLY than is represented by contributors to these boards.

At least in regards to the QM2, I found afternoon tea to be a casual affair compared to evening dinner. Yes, its classy and the service is impeccable but the crowd shows up in whatever they wore during the day and I can't recall any notices of an afternoon tea dress code.

I'm afraid a dresssy afternoon tea is reserved for the finer hotels in London.

Am I complaining? Sounds like it but I'm not. I actually enjoyed tea and hope I can do it again on the QE2.

David

I actually enjoyed tea and hope I can do it again on the QE2.

David - if you want tea in the Queens Room just make sure you get there in plenty of time to snag a table. Although if the weather is good tea on the open decks is much less formal but can be nice as well (one deck pool and the Funnel Bar). The Funnel Bar only has about 8 tables - you need to be lucky to get a table there.

I'm afraid a dresssy afternoon tea is reserved for the finer hotels in London.

The Savoy has dropped the requirement for a tie for tea. It has lost the elegance that it used to have.

And yes, I am complaining!

Matthew

Archived