Punta Gorda member.

wv4891

Here's hoping that our Celebrity cruise critic friend from Punta Gorda, Bananavan, is ok. I have just finished reading about how hard Charley hit that area.
They have no power down there,,,alot of devastation as I'm sure you know,,we here in the Tampa Bay area lucked out this time and our prayers are with the folks south of us:) ..

I knew there was someone from on here - just couldn't remember who. Sure hope they weathered the storm.

I was just listening to some of these young reporters. One said, 'why do you think these people live in these mobile homes when they aren't safe?'. I'm thinking open your mouth and let the silver spoon fall out, duh, because they can afford it! when he came up with this gem, 'and they have everything that's important to them there!'. Well, duh! they LIVE there! Where DO they find these people? :rolleyes:

I'm just up I-75 from Punta Gorda in Venice. One of the TV stations has been showing the destruction in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Arcadia, and several other towns. It looks like the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew.

Hopefully the poster who lives in Punta Gorda is all right, but there may not be electrical power in that area for days. There is also no phone service and only very limited cell-phone service.

I knew there was someone from on here - just couldn't remember who. Sure hope they weathered the storm.

I was just listening to some of these young reporters. One said, 'why do you think these people live in these mobile homes when they aren't safe?'. I'm thinking open your mouth and let the silver spoon fall out, duh, because they can afford it! when he came up with this gem, 'and they have everything that's important to them there!'. Well, duh! they LIVE there! Where DO they find these people? :rolleyes:

makes you wonder:mad: ..we live in Tampa Bay area and our hearts go out to all those who have lost so much, mobile homes are affordable for the many retirees that come down here to live,,some areas are very nice, but unfortunately not too safe in a storm...hopefully all will get help soon.

We live in Naples, just south of Punta Gorda. Friday was not a good day for any of us on SW Florida coast. It really made the saying, "Friday the 13th" a true statement.

However, we were so very, very fortunate! Yes, we had battering winds and rains and we saw the fury out our windows and sliding doors. But we had no destruction at all. Our condo was built after the more strict "Andrew" codes were law, and you could see the advantage of those codes.

We were without power for 20 hours and still only have some phone service -- can make but not receive calls. That is better than it was 24 hours ago.

But I will not complain about the food that was thrown out or anything else when you look at what happened up the road.

It looks like a match-stick village. Keep them all in your hearts and prayers. I was so thankful to see the sun rise yesterday even if it was a cloud-filled ominous looking sky.

Bananavan is on our roll call thread, she is cruising with us in Oct. She wrote us to say she was going to go "north" for the storm. I am assuming that pmvogelalex is a relative?

If it is, I am so sorry about her house, but so happy to hear she and her family are well. It was smart of her to "get out of dodge" while she could. I would just like to know if pmvogelalex was writing about Evana (Bananavan).

My prayers are with you all

Linda

We live in Naples, just south of Punta Gorda. Friday was not a good day for any of us on SW Florida coast. It really made the saying, "Friday the 13th" a true statement.

However, we were so very, very fortunate! Yes, we had battering winds and rains and we saw the fury out our windows and sliding doors. But we had no destruction at all. Our condo was built after the more strict "Andrew" codes were law, and you could see the advantage of those codes.

We were without power for 20 hours and still only have some phone service -- can make but not receive calls. That is better than it was 24 hours ago.

But I will not complain about the food that was thrown out or anything else when you look at what happened up the road.

It looks like a match-stick village. Keep them all in your hearts and prayers. I was so thankful to see the sun rise yesterday even if it was a cloud-filled ominous looking sky.

We also have a Naples condo and it came through OK. We are in Ohio for the summer so we were just sweating the damage not personal safty. Power was out overnight, but all is fine now. My sister has a condo 2 miles west of us and never lost power. I was glued to the TV2 webcast through the whole thing. Nice to meet a Naples neighbor here.

Archived