Devil's Hole

starr52

We wanted to go here and then we read on Trip Advisor NOT to go. WriteratSea mentioned here that this was a fun place to go. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.. sounded like great fun to us. We do for sure want to go to John Smith's Bay.

Also.. Crystal Cave or Fantasy cave??

We wanted to go here and then we read on Trip Advisor NOT to go. WriteratSea mentioned here that this was a fun place to go. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.. sounded like great fun to us. We do for sure want to go to John Smith's Bay.

Also.. Crystal Cave or Fantasy cave??

I have not read that on Trip Advisor, which I am going to have to check out and respond to. Please remember that all of these posts are opinions not facts. Everyone may not experience things the same way. For us the trip to Devil's Hole was part of an extrordinary day. I must explain in more detail. After leaving the aquarium, we walked along Harrington Sound Road to Devil's Hole on our way to John Smith Bay. Yes it is a good walk about a mile or two. But it was fun, as houses and scenery along the sound is just fantastic. Halfway down the road, we came to a pedestrian footbridge across the road as mentioned by someone else on board. We went up on the footbridge and took some great photos due to the elevated height. The person who mentioned the footbridge also went inside the tower to look at the views. But I realized that the tower was an apartment building. Opps, at least I was not invading someone's privacy as they did. I felt a little mixed feelings but the footbridge was a great lookout view. Devil's Hole itself was very interesting. I believe that the top of the cave that blew off in a hurricane happened in 1834 or 1840. The original owners keep live fish in the pond for their fish business. It gradually developed into one of the earliest tourist attractions in Bermuda.

I can understand why some people would find this attaction lame and dated but it was interesting to us. There was a footbridge that goes over the middle of the pond and you use hookless lines to feed the fish and the turtles. The turtles are immense and it was more fun looking down and watching the fish and the turtles swimming around than looking through the glass at the aquarium. I can't remember the name of the guide (I think it was Kimee), but he told us that he had trained one of the fish to feed at his command. I couldn't belive that and bought some bait for him to show us. He went to the dock and called the fish, then threw the bait into the middle of the pond. The haddock (I guess) was near the surface and zoomed to the bait leaving a wake on the surface. I was astonished and to prove it was not a fluke, he did it 4 or 5 more times. So that was an interesting experience. After Devil's Hole we walked up the hill to John Smith's Bay. Halfway up the hill was a local convenience store where we bough sodas and ice cream for the beach. On the way back to St. George, we took the number one bus that went through the golf courses in Tuckers Town and it poured on the way. Just interesting how all the people on mopeds stoped and huddled under trees on the side of the road as we passed by on the bus. All of this way just one day.:) If you are willing to be adventourous, sometimes you can get some memorable experiences.

Writeratsea,

It sounds like an absolutely glorious day to me and something we will love doing. On Trip Advisor, the posts about Devils Hole are posted under * Where can I see turtles in Bermuda, posted 6/8/07 and I believe also under*John Smiths Bay*, posted March 20,07. As I said it is all in the eye of the beholder. Being from Colorado and the mountains mayeb makes us want to see this Devil's Hole.. we are going to go. I really would love to see fish and turtles and the area itself sounds interesting. Again, thank you!

Archived