Tell me more about in-cabin safes (first timer)

JHCALLAHAN

Greetings fellow cruisers,

I've read several times of folks using various kinds of cards to open these safes. Do they program themselves to read a certain magnetic strip or what? I assume they wouldn't be very "safe" if anybody could open them with any plastic card. I've seen in room safes in hotels before but never used one.

Thanks in advance,

JHC

The reader in the safe memorizes your card info when you swipe it the first time. Other than the master key kept by the housekeeping supervisors, that will be the only card that works. What I use, is an expired gas card. If I lose it, it won't be any good for anyone, and it works fine. If you happen to have a pair of expired gas credit cards that are the same, save them so the two of you in the room can access the safe without the other one around.

If you have any extreme valuables. you can get a safe deposit box at the pursers desk.

Ken

These safes are opened when you arrive to your stateroom. To lock them, you will have to run a card with a mag stripe on them.

The problem you can run into if you use your Sail and Sign card is two fold. First, there is a chance that you can "demagetize" the card or damage. Not a real big issue since you can get a replacement. But the large issue is if you loose your S&S card (also your room key on most ships), you run the risk of someone using your S&S card to enter your room and opening your safe.

Using another type of card prevents this. If you do loose your "safe" card, the ship's staff can unlock your safe. At the end of the cruise, these safes are rest for the next passengers.

The safes are re-set after every cruise. Follow the directions on the safe to open it. Don't use your room card because then you'll de-magnetize the strip and you won't be able to get into your room. You can use any type of card with a magnetic strip to lock it. Once you lock the safe with that card, that is the only card that can open it back up for you. Should you lose that card, and can't get it open, call or go to the purser's desk, and they'll send someone up to re-set it for you. We have never had an issue with anything becoming missing or anyone else trying to get into it. If you are not comfortable putting your belongings/valuables in there, you can always get a safety deposit box at the purser's desk.:)

Hope this has helped.:)

Archived