Zip Line questions

EricaLovesCats

Okay, say I go first and then a friend goes after me. Once I reach the platform, do I have time to turn around and take a picture of her coming down? Or do they want you to keep moving (so you don't clog up the tour)? Bigger question - will I even have a free arm to hold a camera??? I'd be willing to buy a neck starp if that is the case.

Also...I am pretty short (4'10). Do you think I would have any problems working the zip line???

Thanks!:o

Erica,

I see we don't have an abundance of answers coming in here, do we? OK, I have only done this once but I will try to offer what I can for you to think about.

When my DW and I did this last Nov. we had two cameras, she uses the digital camera and carries a pouch, or fanny pack, to place the camera in, it is secure, protected and readily available for her to use, it worked out very well. When arriving at a platform she pulled the camera out of the pouch and would take a picture of me coming up to the same platform. Yes, there is time for you to do that, they keep a spacing between people so there is close to a minute for you to get a picture.

I had a camcorder and I had opened the strap up wide enough to slide it onto my left forearm and then cinched it down tight. I would hit the record button just before leaving the platform and get some footage while "flying" down the cable, I could rotate my wrist a little to aim around a bit but still keeping both hands on the sliding devise. I worked out pretty good.

At the zip line place they also had an employee that was taking pictures and video of each of us, sometimes on the ground and sometimes while "flying", and they burned a copy of it while we were there and we bought it for $20, it is well worth it IMHO.

DO NOT worry about if you will have trouble with this activity, we all felt the same way but by about the third platform each of us realized that the worry was for nothing, we all then began looking around while coming down the cable and began enjoying the special view. Hint, do not try to hold yourself up with your arms (you will get muscle fatigue that way), instead just lay back in the harness, as if you were in a recliner chair, and sort of just hang from your hands keeping your arms straight. It is much easier that way. What you will need to remember is to cross one ankle over the top of the other, especially when about to land on a platform and lift both feet up above the platform. The employee will be there to assist you up onto the platform if you should need the help (nearly everyone does, at least at first). I was 63 years old when I did this, there were some older than me, it will make no difference if you are short or tall, heavy or thin, these folks will take care of everything, they do it all day long and they are used to all situations by now.

Below my signature is a smugmug link, click on that and there are some samples of some of the pictures that were taken while zip lining (some by us and some by the employee there). If you look closely you will see the pouch that Kathy kept the camera in and also you may spot the camcorder on my left forearm.

Remember to keep smiling, they will be taking your picture (hopefully for you as they did with us) and you will want people to see how HAPPY you were (not terrified), ha. This is one experience that you will not forget and you will be happy some day that you actually did this while you could (and you will have the proof with photos). Good luck, and enjoy.

Randy

Thank you Randy & Kathy!!!! I do feel much better now. And your pictures were great! I think I am going to buy a little bag like that for the camera, looks like it worked well and it didn't look uncomfortable. And $20 is not bad for a photo cd, especially since they came out good!

Noticed you went in Novermber too, that is when we are going. I was glad to see the weather looked nice!

Hi Randy,

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them. I have some questions about ziplining.

1) Are the first few platforms easier and lower than consecutive platforms -- to give you a chance to get used to it?

2) Suppose one person decides that they do not enjoy ziplining after the first one or two platforms, and were not able to remain with the group. Is there a special place to wait --- does somebody bring you back to the lodge or are you on your own? :)

Thanks,

Nancy

(who has a fear of heights and is a little bit chicken about the whole thing but is willing to attempt it) :)

Randy, thanks so much for your review and pictures/videos of the zipline tour. My friends and I will be braving the zipline in December and your description has me breathing a little easier. And I don't think I'll have to worry about smiling, it'll be the screaming WHILE smiling that will be the case for me.

Conanc, I can answer at least one of your questions, which I just discovered today on the zipline company's website:

"The platforms are arranged at different heights and levels of excitement. Up to platform 5, all cables are of similar length, however after this platform, the cables become even more thrilling. Here those people who would like to give up and return to the lodge may do so. This opportunity is also offered at platform 7. For those of you who enjoy the thrill, its go, go, go, all the way to platform 13."

It is comforting to know you can "bail" if the excitement is just too much to handle ;)

Here's the website address if you're curious: http://www.brisasdelajungla.com/english/index.htm

Regarding the weather, yes, it was nice when we were there, but remember, this is called a rain forest for a reason. We packed a couple of ponchos into our tote bag, but fortunately did not need them.

The first platforms were close enough together that you can see the one that you will be sliding to before you depart the one that you are on. Later they will be a bit farther apart but that just means that the fun of sliding down the cable lasts longer. Most of the time you can't see the ground, there is just too much vegetation to be able to see any dirt. It probably helps to keep you from thinking of the distance down to the ground if you can't see it. I found myself later on beginning to look around while sliding down the cable trying to spot birds, monkeys or anything else in the trees, but I did not see anything except vegetation, up, sideways and below, just lots of green leaves. It is beautiful up there, be sure to look around and see the sights that you have never seen before.

I don't know of anyone on our tour that decided to bail out and go back to the lodge and wait there for us. We were all hooting, hollering and having too much fun with each other to want to quit before we had finished.

Hint: You might want to do some sit-ups before going there. I noticed the next morning that there were a few stomach muscles that were a bit upset with my previous days activities. It kind of reminded me of those first few days of football practice when I was in school. Some pre-excursion exercises will leave you enjoying the rest of your cruise a little more than if you don't do that.

Just think, when you get done you will feel like such a hero, kind of like Superman, Spiderman, Catwoman or any of the super hero's. BE SURE TO TAKE PICTURES, then you can get a lot of mileage out of the endeavor someday with the grandkids. :D

Randy

Thanks everyone. Not sure if I will be able to go through with it, but I plan to give it the old college try. You only live once, right? ;)

I hope to not only take pictures, but to purchase a DVD (since nobody will believe me, and I'll need proof!!! ) :)

• 3 months later...
Are the stops at each platform abrupt? Can you control the speed? Any info appreciated.

Your thoughts and questions are no different than most all of us had before trying this activity the first time. Think of the cable like a drooping clothesline, as you get to the end it begins to rise a bit, and that tends to slow the rider down. Also there will be an employee standing on the platform that has a rope attached to the cable that will act as a brake for the incoming participant, also that employee will help you to arrive at a standing position once you arrive at the platform, there is plenty of room there to do all of this. When sliding down the cable you will be leaning back in the harness and your arms are to be straight out above you and you will be sort of hanging from your hands, not using your biceps's to help hold yourself up, the harness is supporting all of your weight. It is kind of like leaning back in a recliner chair, only the view is better.;)

The IMPORTANT thing to remember is to cross one ankle over the top of the other one and to lift them both up above the edge of the platform as you arrive there, gravity and the employee will take care of everything else. It is nowhere as big a deal as some people imagine it to be. There were people of all ages, sizes and fearful anticipation there with us when we did this. We all agreed later on that we worried for nothing, my bad back, my DW and her artificial hip had no trouble whatsoever. HINT: it wouldn't hurt to do a few sit-ups prior to the cruise as the next morning I felt a little soreness in the stomach area, it reminded me of how I felt at the beginning of football season and getting the muscles in shape. Even that was not a big deal as it didn't limit us on doing anything that we wished to do the next day, but it was the only thing that I noticed that I had not been prepared for.

Drop down below my signature and click on the smugmug link, then go to the Costa Rica and zip lining site and there are some samples of some of the pictures that we took, as well as some that the tour company took, one is even a video, hopefully it will be of some help to you. Good luck, you will be glad that you did this.

Randy

Can I just chime in about the ziplining? We had such a great time! I am afraid of heights and I don't do rollercoasters either! I had every intention of bailing out of the activity when our tour arrived at Jungle Breezes. BUT, I got my harness on and I listened to the instructors and next thing ya know, I was doing it! And I was doing it well! It is so hard to explain, but I instinctively knew how to lean back in the harness to get the proper speed. I was hooting and hollering and I made it all the way across every time. It was such a rush! Although, when I was waiting on the platforms for my next turn, I didn't do a lot of looking down. I looked across the forest and at one point we could even see the cruise ship! It was beautiful.

My 11 year old, skinny son had a hard time getting the speed he needed to make it across all the lines. If you don't quite make it, you have to pull yourself hand over hand using the line the final distance. He got tired and wanted to go down at the 7th platform. My DH and DS (14) were still having a blast and didn't want to quit, so we ended up sending my younger son down with one of the Dads from our group. That man was petrified, he was sweating and miserable. However, his wife and 12 year old daughter were doing great, so they continued with us to the end. Staff members took my son and the "scared" Dad down and to the end where we met up.

We are ready to go again! I think we are going to try the ziplining in Roatan next month:D ! Just try it, I don't think you will regret it.

Terri

Hi Terri,

Thanks for your post. I am one of those "on the fence" and do have a fear of heights. At which platforms is it possible to stop at -- the way your son and the "scared dad" did? How high up are you and how do you get down? Do you have to rappel? :eek:

Thank you!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

At Jungle Breezes in Costa Rica, you only had one opportunity to get down and that was at #7, I think.

My son told me getting down was an adventure in itself. I didn't watch him go all the way down, but his description sounds like rappeling in a way. They were still in their harnesses, but the staff members were controlling it. I'm not sure how "high" we were at that point. I do know when they got to the ground the staff took them in a truck to meet us at the end.

There is so much jungle that it is hard to see the ground. You are in the treetops. Also, like I said, I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking down. I looked OUT over the scenery. And when I was ziplining, I was looking for the next platform (while I was hooting and hollering and laughing!).

I hope you try it!

Terri

We did the Crazy Monkey zipline in Costa Rica. The trip over was 1.5 hours but the scenery and the guide were superb....stopped to look at sloths in the trees and such.

At Crazy Monkey they are very safety conscious. I am also 4'10" and they actually hooked what is an extension to my harness so that the "guy" helping could hook it on. We were tied to a "tree"/cable the entire time...you had 3 safety cables for them to hook one...unhook one, etc. so you were never not hooked.

The hardest part was climbing the 77 steps to the first platform....!!!!! After that it didn't matter! Yep you are up high....but when they tell you the cables are tested for some ridiculous weight like 3000 or 6000 lbs. I forget I figure I may be plump but not that plump!

Oh another thing.....if you have looked at pictures you aren't very "CUTE" in your helmet and gear and your hair will be wild! afterwards....so if you are into fashion....bring a brush!

Lou

Oh another thing.....if you have looked at pictures you aren't very "CUTE" in your helmet and gear and your hair will be wild! afterwards....so if you are into fashion....bring a brush!

Also, not many 'behinds" look good in that harness:eek: !

Terri

Hi Terri,

Thanks so much for the information! I'm still trying to get up the courage to consider ziplining. With my fear of heights, I am not sure I want to put myself in the position. We may just spend the day with Charlie Soto on his A-1 tour.

However, your post was so encouraging and I have read about others who have a fear of heights who end up loving it, so I may give it a chance.

Nancy

Nancy,

We also did the Charlie Soto tour. The tour we were on with them included a stop at the zipline. I knew my family would go but wasn't sure about me. When you get to the zipline, you pay for it yourself. That can be your opportunity to bail out.

I am not a daredevil at all! I am not an athlete! Mid forties, chubby, just walk for exercise. There were all types/shapes/ages of people there! Just like Lou said, we all looked like dorks in our gear! I did feel like the whole thing was very safe -- you are always "hooked" to the tree at every platform. All the equipment was in great condition. It didn't seem like a "fly" by night operation at all. I would have never gotten on the thing if I had felt uneasy. Of course, you do sign a waiver at the beginning:D !

We went ziplining first. We were feeling so "up" after that, that the rest of the day didn't seem as exciting! Went to the banana plantation, canal ride and saw the tree full of monkeys. We ran out of time before we could have lunch and go to the beach like some groups do.

Are you going to Colon, too, Nancy? We had quite the adventure there on a My Friend Mario tour!!

Terri

Hi Terri,

I thought that Charlie broke up tours so that anyone who wasn't ziplining would do a little more "touring". Do the "non-zipliners" have to wait around for the "zipliners"? I do have to say that you are really helping me feel a little more brave about the whole thing, though! :)

We are on Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas and to my understanding, cannot get off the ship unless we do a ship-sponsored excursion, otherwise I would have booked with Mario. We are thinking about the "Grand Tour of Panama" or something like that. What did you do with Mario?

By the way, we are on the Navigator on 11/29. Keep her in good shape for us! ;)

Nancy

Nancy,

On the My Friend Mario tour in Colon, we first went to the Gatun Locks and then headed out to visit the Embera Indians. It was so interesting! What an adventure! The Indians took our group to the village in several dug-out style canoes (they did have Evinrude engines ;) ). We traveled across a lake and up a river. The water was low and several times we got stuck and everyone would (not me!) jump out and help push the canoe. Later we saw crocodiles on the muddy banks! We stopped and hiked to a beautiful waterfall. When we finally arrived at the village, the people cooked us a lunch and talked to us about their lives.

I wonder why they don't let you off the ship? Maybe tensions are high right now? Does your ship go through the canal? I would like to do that someday.

Yes, we are on the Navigator for Turkey day. We are excited -- we haven't been a such a big ship! We will keep it nice for you!

Terri

Hi Terri,

We are going through the canal -- it's a partial transit.

The "My Friend Mario" tour sounds great! I would love to be able to book that excursion! The Royal Caribbean ship tour takes you to a cruise down Gatun Lake, to Gatun locks, and to a "recreated Embera village" due to time constraints. :( I don't think it's the same village you went to with Mario).

You will love the Navigator! The Voyager class are my favorite ships!

I notice you have been on the Coral Princess. How did you like it? We thought about it for the Panama Canal. Also, how was the Zuiderdam? My friends will be on that ship in January.

Nancy

Hi again Nancy!

I really hope you try the ziplining! Let us know if you do. I am going to try it in Roatan next month. My younger son says he will try it again too!

I have never been on a Voyager class ship. I'm really excited. Plus, for the first time we have booked two cabins - the kids will be across from us. A real vacation:) !

My husband and I were on the Zuiderdam in an SS suite and it was heavenly! The ship was perfect for us as a couple. Wonderful service.

We took Coral Princess to Alaska. Awesome! The perfect ship for that trip.

Take care,

Terri

Thanks to all for your posts. We're booked on the Charlie Soto A-2 tour in December and all of your comments offer great tips. I'm not much of a daredevil either, but all the positive comments are really making me look forward to this first-time experience.

Thanks again,

Thanks to all for your posts. We're booked on the Charlie Soto A-2 tour in December and all of your comments offer great tips. I'm not much of a daredevil either, but all the positive comments are really making me look forward to this first-time experience.

Thanks again,

Can you spread a little of that bravery this way? :D

Hello all!

We will be traveling to Costa Rica in December on Carnival Miracle and have reserved spaces with Jungle Breeze for zip lining, but I had a few questions about timing. Do they pick you up as soon as the ship docks? How long does the whole excursion take? We wanted to do some shopping and perhaps check out a beach for a little while and didnt know if there would be time for all of that. Let me rephrase...I wouldnt mind just going zip lining, but my b/f wants to do as much as possible. ;) Any info that any of you have would be great! Our time for being in CR is 7am-3pm. Thanks!:)

Archived