Thinking about a world cruise - which would you select - Cunard or Crystal and why

SanFranBayCruiser

My DH has decided to take very early retirement and wants to celebrate by taking a world cruise in 2009. The itineraries and prices aren't out yet so, we're taking the time to do lots and lots of research. Would you select Crystal or Cunard for such a long voyage and please tell me why you'd pick that particular cruise line.

We're a younger couple, over 40 but, well under 60. Both educated with graduate degrees. No kids. We've been on over 20 cruises including Crystal and Cunard but, since a world cruise is truly a trip of a different nature, we're turning to those of you who have actually sailed to get your opinions...

So here is your chance to share. Thanks!

If I were in a financial position to take a WC I would choose Regent. The ships are smaller and go right into many ports for docking. They also have a much more varied itinerary and are all inclusive so you know what you get for $$$$$$ right up front. The cabins (reg. not penthouse or Grill) are very spacious and the service is superb. That said, we love the QM2 and have two cruises booked on her at this time, New England Canada and TA/Med/TA for 2008. If I win the Lottery (do not even play!!) it will be Regent for me. Whatever, enjoy the planing and the cruise:)

B.

Well considering you have already done both I think only you can really answer you're own question. I've only done Cunard but I wouldn't say no to the opportunity to take advantage of Crystal or Regent or Oceania.

The reality is one of value for your money. Crystal includes a lot of "extras" you pay for on the mass market lines but if you don't use them then can it be considered throwing away money? Then again look at the size of the cabin you get and is Crystal or Cunard larger?

If you are asking strictly from the "money doesn't matter" viewpoint then I suppose Crystal would likely be considered but how does it compete with the Grill classes on Cunard?

If it was me.......? Oh I wish I had that problem. I am happy you are contemplating this world cruise and wish you all the best though. If you can do it then the more to you and good luck on your choice.

David

I'm probably in the minority with this opinion, but ...

If I had the resources to do a World Cruise, and money was not a problem or a restriction, I would place very little emphasis on the cruise line, but rather would focus on itinerary.

To me at least, a World Cruise would not be about the ship. It would be about the ports. Now, don't get me wrong ... I want a ship where my creature comforts were looked after, but my priority would be on doing just the perfect itinerary, and that's what I would look at before selecting a particular cruiseline or ship.

Of course, in my case, a World Cruise would probably be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm not rich. So, maybe that fact skews my thinking. I know I can always sail a ship or a cruise line that I like, but I can't always sail another World Cruise if the itinerary on my first did not satisfy.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived