Cruise Day Upgrade

NJPrisonCop

What are the chances of an upgrade? My wife is pregnant and I think it might be better if she can see the ocean vs. being in an inside room. Do you think the chances are good for an upgrade? I doubt it since it is peak season, but I thought I would ask.

What are the chances of an upgrade? My wife is pregnant and I think it might be better if she can see the ocean vs. being in an inside room. Do you think the chances are good for an upgrade? I doubt it since it is peak season, but I thought I would ask.

Every time we have sailed in the summer the ship has always been sold out. I think your chances are pretty slim

Normally you won't find anything better available by the time the ship sails. NCL does upsells starting about 3 weeks prior to the cruise, and calls people offering to get them in a better cabin at a discounted price.

Upgrades are usually only done for gty cabins, upsells are done rather randomly depending upon which cabins they need to move people into and where they can make the most $ rather than sailing with empty cabins.

Last October we asked our TA to call NCL and see if they would give us an upsell. If you're working with a TA they might be able to swing something for you. (play up the pregnancy angle too, can't hurt!)

Happy Sailing!

Last October we asked our TA to call NCL and see if they would give us an upsell. If you're working with a TA they might be able to swing something for you. (play up the pregnancy angle too, can't hurt!)

Happy Sailing!

Right about that time last year, the Upsell department stopped accepting incoming calls from TAs and from passengers. People were calling daily starting months before their cruise dates to ask for upsells. The tiny department was overwhelmed, so the management instituted "don't call us; we might call you" policies.

NJPrisonCop:

In peak seasons, the ship can be sold out weeks in advance, so it's not a good idea to wait and hope. However, do ask your TA to keep an eye on any fare drops. Sometimes there will be a special deal and you might be able to upgrade to an oceanview cabin for not much $. This is where the TAs "schmoozing" could come into play. If it's before final payment, no sweat, you should be fine (unless the special is "for new bookings only"--and even then, your TA could prove useful). If it's after final payment, NCL's standard policy is to do no changes to the booking unless they call you about an upsell, and they don't usually honor fare reductions. But again, your TA can help with this sometimes through pleasant persistence. Doesn't always work, but it's work a try.

If you've booked directly with the cruise line, then you do the "I'm going to be a daddy" schmoozing. Not "I'm going to be a daddy, so my wife and I deserve an upgrade over all the other passengers who are celebrating something or who are expecting a baby," but rather "I'm so excited about this...and I'm really hoping I'm able to surprise my wife with an oceanview..." and then include chit-chat about cruising, travel, the weather, or anything else that will help you form a connection with the cruise line rep. People really do remember the pleasant and interested customers--and sometimes try to help them more than the "me, me, me...who cares about the rest of the world...you're just a cruise rep" customers. You get the idea--Be friendly and pleasant and not a pest. You never know what might happen.

If it's at all possible, you might want to pay to upgrade to the oceanview now while cabins are available. Of course, you can always hope to receive an upsell call, but that's never something to expect.

I wish you and your lovely wife all the best on your upcoming adventures, both at sea and at home. I hope your cruise is wonderful and that you both have a fantastic time.

beachchick

I think I will just take the 9th floor inside cabin we were given and call it even. I am not going to call using the daddy angle. Had I known what we were getting, I would have given my parents the difference on a balcony room. No biggie. I just thought it might be better for my wife's nausea, thats all. We had a balcony for our honeymoon on the Sun, and it was definitely nice.

I think I will just take the 9th floor inside cabin we were given and call it even. I am not going to call using the daddy angle. Had I known what we were getting, I would have given my parents the difference on a balcony room. No biggie. I just thought it might be better for my wife's nausea, thats all. We had a balcony for our honeymoon on the Sun, and it was definitely nice.

They sell some great crystalized ginger candy that works well for nausea on the ship, for those who can't/won't take bonine or dramimine. Also gingerale and green apples seem to help. :)

Enjoy the cruise!

I have a "dizzy" condition and was concerned about the ship's movement.

We went to Mexico last April. I have to tell you that once that ship started moving, I had no dizzy spells. In fact, I didn't have a dizzy spell for 3 weeks after the cruise. (before the cruise I was having 3-4 episodes a day). So now I have it in my head that the dizziness is cured by cruising! So, we are going to Alaska in August! Have a great time.

Bmacri, I love it! Cruising as a medical necessity! :p

I wonder what I have that I can cure with a cruise? Can we get our HMOs to cover it, do you think?

Jana

Bmacri, I love it! Cruising as a medical necessity! :p

I wonder what I have that I can cure with a cruise? Can we get our HMOs to cover it, do you think?

Jana

Well if your doctor says it's necessary, you might at least be able to deduct it from your taxes ;)

Monte, when we win our respective cruises (something other than Imperial Majesty, I mean) I'll be cured. And I bet you will be too!

ROTFL-but I expect I might have periodic relapses!

Actually, I'm looking forward to the Imp Majesty cruise. The food has had mostly good reviews and hey, it was only $59

regarding the seasickness and the use of ginger-"rooted" (pun INTENDED) products.

how about the good old Dark and Stormy? Black Seal Bermudian Rum + Ginger Beer?

that's gotta count for something right?

regarding the seasickness and the use of ginger-"rooted" (pun INTENDED) products.

how about the good old Dark and Stormy? Black Seal Bermudian Rum + Ginger Beer?

that's gotta count for something right?

No problem for me, but the OP was pregnant so I though maybe the ginger candy might be more appropriate. :D

Archived