QE2 v. QM2

JPM06

I know this is a topic that will spark a great deal of conversation. My wife and I did a 4 day Memorial Day trip on QM2 and were less than impressed with the quality of food and food service. I've always wanted to do a trans Atlantic on the QE2 and it seems I need to do that soon. For those of you who have done both, is QE2's food any better than QM2? I must admit, I found the interior of QM2 extremely nice. Any comments?

I know this is a topic that will spark a great deal of conversation. My wife and I did a 4 day Memorial Day trip on QM2 and were less than impressed with the quality of food and food service. I've always wanted to do a trans Atlantic on the QE2 and it seems I need to do that soon. For those of you who have done both, is QE2's food any better than QM2? I must admit, I found the interior of QM2 extremely nice. Any comments?

Matthew said it best:

Where people can go wrong is trying to decide which is better. What one needs to do is to realise that they are both wonderful, and that we are lucky to have both. Take one summer transatlantic on Queen Mary 2, and one cruise on Queen Elizabeth 2 and you’re well away.

Matthew

(re)read http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10486043 and plan to enjoy both of them.

Paul

For those of you who have done both, is QE2's food any better than QM2?

No, if anything the QM2 has a slight edge, Britannia vs Mauretania or Caronia - at least when people are only ordering one main course.......

Peter

No, if anything the QM2 has a slight edge, Britannia vs Mauretania or Caronia - at least when people are only ordering one main course.......

Peter

Who would order more than one main course? You'll be telling me next that people had main courses as starters....:eek:

I haven't the experience to comment on steerage, but there is a definitely something very special about the Queens' Grill. Extensive experience and testing of the Queens' Grill restaurant on Queen Elizabeth 2 leads me to conclude that anyone who didn't enjoy it greatly ought to be thrown overboard for being over-fussy.

Rumour has it that the same facility on Queen Mary 2 is also of very high quality. I couldn't possibly comment however - but I have it on good authority from someone I trust that things are top notch in there!

Matthew

My wife and I did a 4 day Memorial Day trip on QM2 and were less than impressed with the quality of food and food service.

From the reports posted here that trip was not the most successful trip Cunard has ever organised!:) I suspect that if you were to go on another QM2 journey you might be amazed at how much the food and service has improved.

From the reports posted here that trip was not the most successful trip Cunard has ever organised!:)

Which I understand was more to do with the passengers than the ship. Some passengers were ordering multiple main courses to "try" different things.

On the transatlantic 4-10 June everything was excellent. No worries there!

Matthew

Who would order more than one main course?

Matthew

Ooops, guilty.

But then I am famous/notorious for the quantity of food I can consume.

One lunchtime on QE2, I had three starters and four mains. I would not do that at dinner when sharing a table of course. Some days I will just have a main.

I often have lunch in the Pavillion, Lido and then my restaurant depending what is on the menus. I do spend up to four hours a day in the gym and I like food.

Double ordering at our table, or the tables close to us certianly were not doing that...Not to say that it did not happen else where in the dining room.

Double ordering wasn't the worst. Some ordered more....

Ooops, guilty.

But then I am famous/notorious for the quantity of food I can consume.

The problem wasn't greed. The problem was people nibbling at three main courses instead of eating all of one.

And, to add insult to injury, to complain when things slowed down as a result.

Matthew

Hi,

The Queens Grill on QE2 is some restaurant with service & food both superb - I like to eat in very good restaurants worldwide & nothing has yet compared to this venerable restaurant at sea!!!! Have tried QM2 once - in the Britannia Restaurant & I will not be rushing back to try it again albeit my experience was not totally bad - food quite good - service though very patchy & nothing like QE2 + just too big a ship. Next on QE2 in Oct Queens Grill & then next April for a crossing Princess Grill - out of 8 Cunard cruises 7 have been on QE2 - that speaks for itself!!!

My aunt & uncle have just been on their first QE2 cruise in the Queens Grill only a month ago & have already booked 2 more cruises on the QE2 - she is a very hard act to follow!!!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

From the reports posted here that trip was not the most successful trip Cunard has ever organised!:) I suspect that if you were to go on another QM2 journey you might be amazed at how much the food and service has improved.

I have to agree. We've heard a lot about this Memorial Day trip but its not the QM2 I was on last December in the Caribbean. I found the food the best I ever had on a ship (admittedly, our first time on the QM2) and thus would rank Cunard the best of the mass market lines in regards to this area (although I can hardly call myself a cruise expert this early). Still, changeover of staffing and logistics of certain sailings can throw things off centre. And I hate to say it but its true.......the make up of passengers also can make a difference in how things run.

As for the QE2? Will be trying it out for the very first time in August! Looking forward to it! The reviews in regards to dining have been great but I'll only be able to say one way or another until I try. While not obviously going just to compare ships it will be something to note when I experience it.

Sorry that our OP's experience did not work out so well but the QM2 does have fans because things did work out fairly well.

David

Hi,

Next on QE2 in Oct Queens Grill & then next April for a crossing Princess Grill

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Well,

If you are to be on the April crossing, then I hope there will be a cabin cavalcade and that you would be so kind as to participate. It's likely to be the only way I will ever get to see a Princess or Queens grill cabin on QE2.

And of course, as long as no one minds messy, my cabin will be open to the cavalcade. Whatever my cabin ends up to be, I suspect the one to which I am now assigned will not be my last choice.

Karie,

on the April crossing

One lunchtime on QE2, I had three starters and four mains. I would not do that at dinner when sharing a table of course. Some days I will just have a main.

I often have lunch in the Pavilion, Lido and then my restaurant depending what is on the menus. I do spend up to four hours a day in the gym and I like food.

Ah:) A man after my own heart:) (Although I freely admit never to having visited the gym, preferring to spend that time eating:D. I also admit to never having eaten at the at the Pavilion and not that often at the Lido )

hi Karie,

No problem, please put my name down for the 'cabin calvacade' is this your first crossing? & have you booked a guarantee cabin? the cabin I have been allocated 2113 I had last Sep on my US & Canada cruise / crossing and it's quite spacious for a single cabin.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

hi Karie,

No problem, please put my name down for the 'cabin calvacade' is this your first crossing? & have you booked a guarantee cabin? the cabin I have been allocated 2113 I had last Sep on my US & Canada cruise / crossing and it's quite spacious for a single cabin.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

First crossing, first time on Qe2 (I'm doing the B2B with four days in England in between)

Right now I am in 3167. I already upgraded from 4142, I thin kit was. Found out 4 deck only had showers. Wanted a bath. But I' not fond of being so far aft, so may move up again, if there is availability. I think when I moved from C5 to C4 (or whatever) thre had been a price drop and I ended up less than the lower cabin! I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and keeping my eyes on the prices) It will be Marc and I .

Karie,

who is really looking forward to this!

Actually on this MDay cruise, even though delayed, when our food did arrive everyone at our table thought the the food was quite good, exceptional, and it was just the service..... Really, I did not even know that this double ordering thing was happening until came home and read it here....(frankly, at first I did not even believe the reports) I think for us the biggest fustration was not understanding what had happened to the service, especially since I must admit my expectations were up after reading this message board. True, none of us asked why or for that matter complained or even discussed it among ourselves.... In my mind complaining would of just made us more unhappy. There we plenty of other positives to focus on, on this short trial run cruise!

I am still trying to talk my husband into giving her another try, on a longer voyage. Right now it is an absolute "no" from him. I am beyond myself for my error...I never found or knew about the Commodore lounge.... I completly missed it!

And, to add insult to injury, to complain when things slowed down as a result.

Matthew

It is never appropriate in my mind to order extra courses a shared table. It is wrong to leave others to have to wait around while you eat.

I do remember my first night on QE2, with having experience of set menus with multiple courses, I ordered something from every section. As it was first night, the portions were all huge. I did think the choices of food was a bit strange and that the menu did not go together very well!

I also admit to never having eaten at the at the Pavilion.
The pavilion used to be great, they had a really good chef, can't remember his name, and they did do great burgers. Sadly the chef is gone and the quality of beef used in the burgers has fallen. It is now a take it or leave it.

I am still trying to talk my husband into giving her another try, on a longer voyage. Right now it is an absolute "no" from him. I am beyond myself for my error...I never found or knew about the Commodore lounge.... I completly missed it!

Smoothdancer...I do hope you can turn your husband around and experience QM2 the way so many of us have. We all wouldn't keep booking her if she wasn't exceptional in so many ways. Such a shame to base an opinion of her on a short trip. And what a shame to miss the Commodore Club....truly one of the most seductive environments on the ship...day or night.

I do hope you'll give her another try.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Smoothdancer...I do hope you can turn your husband around and experience QM2 the way so many of us have./quote]

I was originally extremely doubtful about the ship. Didn't think she could do anything right.

Read my "Reflections on Queen Mary 2" to see how my view changed. I have every confidence that if you book on a transatlantic, or a longer cruise, that you will have a wonderful time.

Don't forget Queen Elizabeth 2 though. She's very special too!

Matthew

Snicker, Penny!!!

My husband is Italian, wondefully elegant and gracious men, but ahhh rather , no, very very stubborn!! Turth be told, aside from the dining adventure, we did so much enjoy the Queen.....

I suppose because of the many formal nights we attend year round as performers, we are by nature a formal couple and this line was a perfect fit for us. How we enjoyed the string quartet, looked around and saw the gents in tux, ladies in full ballgowns..... We were right at home....

Plan...I am going to let it go for a while, approach a try again a little later down the road! In the meantime I will enjoy just reading the wonderful reports you all post here.... Final confession, I really enjoy the posts on the bow-ties!

Oh Matthew... no need for a link... I did read each and every word without any promting at all!! I was so thrilled with your report and it confirmed that our cruise was just one of thoes unexplained things....

Interesting, I began to research Cunard because my husband and I ballroom dance in competitions and the "be all" competition occurs once a year in Blackpool England... Our plan was to fly to the UK , perform and then take a transatlantic back to NY.... We waited too long and could not register in time so instead we decided to do the M Day cruise as a preview for the following year......

Hindsight, should of just waited another year, registerd early and board the QE2 as originally planned....

Snicker, Penny!!!

My husband is Italian, wondefully elegant and gracious men, but ahhh rather , no, very very stubborn!! Turth be told, aside from the dining adventure, we did so much enjoy the Queen.....

I suppose because of the many formal nights we attend year round as performers, we are by nature a formal couple and this line was a perfect fit for us. How we enjoyed the string quartet, looked around and saw the gents in tux, ladies in full ballgowns..... We were right at home....

Plan...I am going to let it go for a while, approach a try again a little later down the road! In the meantime I will enjoy just reading the wonderful reports you all post here.... Final confession, I really enjoy the posts on the bow-ties!

Ahhh Dancer....you haven't met MY husband...the German!!! They invented stubborn!! ;) (no offense to our German friends here, please) We didn't sail from 1983 until last year because we had such a horrible Christmas cruise and he swore he'd die before he'd set foot on a ship again. I grew up knowing many transats and loving ships. But I persevered and the Queen won him over...now we sail again in NOv, with a possible QV in spring and QM2 again in NOv....don't give up...patience my dear wins the day. Just don't wait as long as I did to push the issue.;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Archived