Vibration in aft cabins QM2

cruzadict

We have just booked the Norwegian Fiords and North Cape on the Queen Victoria for July 2008. We have booked a Queens Grill aft cabin, as luckily there was one left. All the aft cabins on this ship seem to be grill class. However I have now been told that in the aft cabins of the QM2 there is strong vibration when at sea. Does anyone have any knowledge of this. I have telephoned Cunard and they do not seem to know of any problem. But I didn't really expect them to admit to it!

Marilyn

I have telephoned Cunard and they do not seem to know of any problem. But I didn't really expect them to admit to it!

Marilyn - to be honest I wouldn't expect any Grill cabin to experience vibrations worse than average (given of course that you are on a ship). I know that on the QE2 you can get bad vibrations at the stern of decks 4 and 5 but there are no Grill cabins down there - just steerage passengers (who don't count:D). I would expect your cabin on the QM2 to be fine:)

I think the OP was talking about Victoria....

In which case when we on the Arcadia on one of those aft corner cabins and I can't recall vibrations from the ship.

The restaurant was another matter, although the Grill restaurants are placed out of the reach of vibration.

Matthew

The nursery on the QM2 is on 6 deck, aft and there is no vibration at all there. The only time there was any vibration was during the whole pod issue and that was resolved last November in Hamburg. The vibration was so slight as to be un-noticable anyway and only really noticable in the Britannia on 2 deck, so don't worry about it too much. The QE2 has some spectacualr vibrations on leaving and entering port, but that is all part of her charm as an older ship.

IS the QV having pods?

Vibration anywhere on QM2 is unlikely. Must be one of the smoothest afloat.

David.

Yes, the QM2 is smooth as silk and I would expect the Victoria to be likewise. The newer ships, particularly ones using Mermaid Pods, are vibration free. Enjoy your sailing!

We have just booked the Norwegian Fiords and North Cape on the Queen Victoria for July 2008. We have booked a Queens Grill aft cabin, as luckily there was one left. All the aft cabins on this ship seem to be grill class. However I have now been told that in the aft cabins of the QM2 there is strong vibration when at sea. Does anyone have any knowledge of this. I have telephoned Cunard and they do not seem to know of any problem. But I didn't really expect them to admit to it!

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn

As touched on by Lexxity.

QM2 had her infamous incident in Fort Lauderdale on 17 January 2006 which damaged one of the propulsion pods. Until 17 November 2006 she was running on just two or three of her four pods/propellors, depending on required speed.

When higher speeds were required and three pods were running the thrust was unbalanced. The ship had to steer slightly to compensate for this inbalance which caused additional vibration at the stern. The vibration was worst in the crew areas close to the stern, some said unbearable.

Now she has four pods again she will be back to her pre-incident smoothness. Check what date the people complaining about vibration were on the ship.

One result of this is that the hull has experienced a whole load of stress because of this extra vibration and there are suggestions that service length of the ship has been compromised.

One result of this is that the hull has experienced a whole load of stress because of this extra vibration and there are suggestions that service length of the ship has been compromised.

Who? What? When? Why?

How much do you know?

Matthew

Transat Jon - Our friends were on QM2 last week Transatlantic. The vibration started during one night for about 24 hours. It stopped when the Captain reduced the speed of the ship. It started up again 36 hours before reaching Southampton and when they queried this with Guest Relations were told that this always happens when using the stablizors!! The sea was calm with only slight swells. Could this be an explanation or could it be pod problems again.

Marilyn

The nursery on the QM2 is on 6 deck, aft and there is no vibration at all there. The only time there was any vibration was during the whole pod issue and that was resolved last November in Hamburg. The vibration was so slight as to be un-noticable anyway and only really noticable in the Britannia on 2 deck, so don't worry about it too much. The QE2 has some spectacualr vibrations on leaving and entering port, but that is all part of her charm as an older ship.

IS the QV having pods?

We sailed in cabin 6300 on a double crossing Sou/NY/Sou in October '05 when the weather was not particularly good and being sensitive to all sounds and movements I would have noticed any vibration in this cabin especially having experienced an aft inside cabin on Celebrity's "Century"...which on entering/ leaving port might have you wondering if you should be looking out your life jacket !

In the Queen's room one evening we did feel the sea "thumping" (no vibrations as such) on a particular area where you can sit around the dance floor..but you have to realise you are making way through perhaps heavy seas so have to expect to know about it .

We were having lunch in the Princess Grill onboard the QM2 last December when the room started to seriously vibrate, dishes rattling floor vibrating. It turn out that the ship was pushed up to top speed to get as close to Key West as possible because a helicopter was coming to meet us for an emergency medical evacuation. So it seems top speed really shacks things up on QM2.

steve

We were having lunch in the Princess Grill onboard the QM2 last December when the room started to seriously vibrate, dishes rattling floor vibrating. It turn out that the ship was pushed up to top speed to get as close to Key West as possible because a helicopter was coming to meet us for an emergency medical evacuation. So it seems top speed really shacks things up on QM2.

steve

Whereas two years ago we were on QE2 when we were doing 30 knots, and she as as smooth as anything.

Apparently with her the trouble is at 14 knots and under.....

Typical racer!

Matthew

The QM2 vibration problem effecting the service length of the ship.

Who? What? When? Why?

How much do you know?

Matthew

I see you have the fear that your new love may have a curtailed life.

I only know what is public. However, as a man in your profession knows, the answer depends on who is telling the story of course.

Myself, with my engineering background, would say there must have been some effect, it was a whole load of extra stresses that were never designed for.

The shipping line, the designers and bulders will say there was no problem whatsoever and the ship has not been effected at all.

The comapnies who did not get the contract or build the pods or anyone who Cunard asks for money will say up to seven years have been cut off the life of the ship!

The truth is going to be somewhere in between the stories.

I agree with your comment on QE2, she is not at her best below 18 knots, the faster the smoother in most cases. She is built for speed.

I see you have the fear that your new love may have a curtailed life.

If the thought that Queen Mary 2 is the last liner (which has been said) due to the cost of a new one, then I can cross only as long as she lasts.

If I were certain she'd be replaced by the next true Cunard Queen, then I'd be less concerned - although as you have ascertained, I am a fan of the Queen Mary 2.

I'm not sure a man is allowed more than a wife and a mistress, so I'll have to pass on the idea of her being my new love!

Matthew

Transat Jon - Our friends were on QM2 last week Transatlantic. The vibration started during one night for about 24 hours. It stopped when the Captain reduced the speed of the ship. It started up again 36 hours before reaching Southampton and when they queried this with Guest Relations were told that this always happens when using the stablizors!! The sea was calm with only slight swells. Could this be an explanation or could it be pod problems again.

Marilyn

Intresting.

Stabilizers in slight swells are not going to be the source of such vibration (unless they are not working right!). It is a stock answer crew give about problems - blame the stabilizers because few people want to be rolling around at sea and will put up with a little vibration to stop that. Good old phsycology.

I have limited experience of QM2 myself and have travelled up to about 28knots on her. It could well be that the props are starting to get to their limit at full power and are throwing off cavitation, possibly this was another part of the excessive vibration between Jan and Nov '07.

Possibly the ship was running close to 30 knots to catch time the day before reaching port or, although unlikely, they had to shut down one of the props for routine maintenance for that time.

I'm not sure a man is allowed more than a wife and a mistress, so I'll have to pass on the idea of her being my new love!

Matthew

Matthew...she can't be your new love...she's still mine!! (See Affair to Remember!! ) And I have a very understanding husband who looks the other way when I mention her with stars in my eyes!!! Or does he roll his eyes...I'm not sure now!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

If the thought that Queen Mary 2 is the last liner (which has been said) due to the cost of a new one, then I can cross only as long as she lasts.

If I were certain she'd be replaced by the next true Cunard Queen, then I'd be less concerned - although as you have ascertained, I am a fan of the Queen Mary 2.

Matthew

I live in the hope that because the increased interest in carbon footprints and issues about aircraft emmissions in the mid atmosphere that travel by ship will only increase in the next 50 years.

Let's hope this will mean more ocean travel and I hope it will be in the Cunard / HAL / Celebrity Style and not HAL.

Stephen Payne tells the story himself that he did not believe QE2 would be the last ocean liner. He was proved right by time; it did take 35 years.

QM2 is with us for the next thirty or fourty years, will we both still be sailing at that time? I'll be touching my four score plus ten.

I live in the hope that because the increased interest in carbon footprints and issues about aircraft emmissions in the mid atmosphere that travel by ship will only increase in the next 50 years.

Let's hope this will mean more ocean travel and I hope it will be in the Cunard / HAL / Celebrity Style and not HAL.

Stephen Payne tells the story himself that he did not believe QE2 would be the last ocean liner. He was proved right by time; it did take 35 years.

QM2 is with us for the next thirty or fourty years, will we both still be sailing at that time? I'll be touching my four score plus ten.

Thirty years will take me to my allotted span.

I would like to think I could live to see the next real Cunard Queen. Whatever one thinks of Victoria, pro or con, she wasn't built as a liner. I still think a Queen should be a liner, but then I'm an old fashioned chap. Clearly the marketing factor of her being a "Queen" will outweigh a small group of assorted liner nuts......

Matthew

Whereas two years ago we were on QE2 when we were doing 30 knots, and she as as smooth as anything.

Apparently with her the trouble is at 14 knots and under.....

Typical racer!

Matthew

I find myself in agreement with you once again, Matthew! We saw an indicated 31.2 knots on the TV screen on QE2 in heavy seas off Japan and she was completely free of vibration. Yes, 14 knots or below is the problem for her. I met some people who were on the lower decks who said they relied on the vibration as she approached port to wake them up in the morning!

We've had no problem with QM2 but we noticed vibration in the main dining room on Arcadia at 'speed'. No problem up top in the Orchid where the Grills will be located on Queen Victoria, so you should be okay, Matthew!

K.

We've had no problem with QM2 but we noticed vibration in the main dining room on Arcadia at 'speed'. No problem up top in the Orchid where the Grills will be located on Queen Victoria, so you should be okay, Matthew!

K.

Ken,

I'd agree with that. It seems to occur around 19-20 knots. I wonder whether it is cavitation from the screws. That is always a potential problem whether pod or conventional drive is used. The noise requires raised voices in the dining rooom above that speed.

David

Archived