Airfare To Miami for August?

UpstateCruizer

I find this board to be a wealth of information so I thought I'd get your opinions on flights I need to book. After our recent cruise my husband liked it so much he wanted to go back in August for our summer vacation. Last time I had the luxury of planning ahead so I could wait for flights that I really wanted. This time since we leave in 7 weeks I'm more concerned about prices and seats. There are just the two of us this time and we'll be leaving Syracuse on the 3rd and need return flights back on the 12th. Right now I'm finding the least expensive $338 on Us Air but that includes a prop plane and 3 plane changes. I absolutely do not want to be on a prop plane so I'm not even considering those flights. I know there is no absolutes in predicting flights but I've never scheduled flights this late so I'm not sure what to expect. I started looking on Friday night when we booked the cruise so I'm hoping to see something lower during this week. Do airlines offer deals on flights that are so close or should I just expect to suck it up and pay the higher fares just to have a seat? I know I've often gotten Summer Fare Sales emails but I never paid any attention as I was not planning on this. I used to use my aol travel search to follow airline prices but right now when I use them it gives me incredible rates until the last part of the process where it then alerts me that those particular fares have increased (yikes 4 times the original cost). Because of that bait n switch tactic I've been using Kayak but wondered if there are other ways to monitor fares? I could check flights from Albany as well but it's an hour farther from us than Syracuse is and we use the park and fly option in syracuse at the hotel. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as always. Thank you!

I've been using Kayak but wondered if there are other ways to monitor fares?

Almost all airfare monitoring sites such as Kayak monitor overall fares in a market and alert one if there are any particular changes that meet your specifications. However, a new service recently started that allows one to monitor airfares for a specific flight. To my knowledge, this is the only service that will do that. I haven't read much about how well it works, but if you want to explore what they can do, go to http://www.yapta.com/. It is free and also works with Southwest Airlines, which I think no other monitoring program works with. Note also, that the service does not as yet work with Firefox.

Parody, thanks for posting the Yapta site. Also, hdawson, good advice about getting on email list for specials. I have a meeting in October in Orlando, and normally I would not book that far in advance for air, but received email notification of sale fares on Southwest a few weeks ago and got my RT fare for $100 less than their usual fares.

BTW, I love you dog photo. I am Cocker Spaniel fan!

Never mind the prop plane. Its the changing planes 3 times that would kill me. NY to MIA? Wowzers.

I agree Airtran is pretty cheap on airfare sometimes. Keep checking with them.

Now I did some research for you. If you want to fly Airtran from Rochester which is 86 miles from you I found airfares from 104.00 PP each way to MIA.

This is on Airtran. I wasnt sure of your dates in August so I used August 17 to August 24.

So for less than 500.00 bucks two people can fly from Rochester to Miami. That aint bad. New boeing 717 with one stop in Atlanta.

What is a prop plane?

I'm also going crazy looking for airfare from NYC to MIA. If anyone can tell me where a good price is for 4 people leaving the NYC area on Aug 10 from either JFK, LGA, or EWR coming back Aug 19, I'd appreciate the help. I don't want us to have to pay $300 pp. But if we have to then I guess we have no choice.

Also like the OP asked, do airfares tend to go down when it gets close to flying time?

Also check the airline's own sites. AirTran comes to mind. Get on their sale email list.

I've never seen AirTran and until I joined this site I had never heard of them. Unfortunatly they do not fly out of either of the airports that are within a reasonable drive. I will take your advice and sign up on the other airline websites that I'm not already on their email lists. Thanks :)

Never mind the prop plane. Its the changing planes 3 times that would kill me. NY to MIA? Wowzers.

I agree Airtran is pretty cheap on airfare sometimes. Keep checking with them.

Now I did some research for you. If you want to fly Airtran from Rochester which is 86 miles from you I found airfares from 104.00 PP each way to MIA.

This is on Airtran. I wasnt sure of your dates in August so I used August 17 to August 24.

So for less than 500.00 bucks two people can fly from Rochester to Miami. That aint bad. New boeing 717 with one stop in Atlanta.

Now Ireally wish I were closer to Rochester but actually it's over 2 hours from here and possibly longer if there's any traffic :( Syracuse is 45 minutes on a normal drive day. Given the cost of gas and possibly having to pay to stay over and then parking on top of that we may not actually save much. Thanks for looking for me though :)

Thats ok. From one (former) New Yorker to another good luck. I will help keep an eye out for you on prices though.

Did you have dates in mind?

We need to fly out on the 3rd and back on the 12th of August. Where did you live in Ny? Thanks Parody I downloaded that Yapta tool :)

Just another thought. Have you considered flying in to FLL? (fort lauderdale)

It is not that far to Miami.

I am not sure if you are going on a cruise or land based vacation in Miami or I just wasnt paying attention lol.

But that is another option anyway.

I lived in Washingtonville. It is in Orange County around Newburgh and Middletown.

What is a prop plane?

Prop is an abbreviation for a propeller driven aircraft. For pictures of some models, click here.

I love your dog photo. I am Cocker Spaniel fan!

Thanks. They are sisters from the same litter.

Thanks Parody I downloaded that Yapta tool :)

BTW, if the Yapta tool works as advertised, and one is flying on Southwest, United, jetBlue, Alaska Airlines, or US Airways, one never needs to ask again whether they should hold off buying a ticket as airfares might go down over time, as if they do the airlines mentioned above will make a change at no cost to the traveler.

What is a prop plane?

I'm also going crazy looking for airfare from NYC to MIA. If anyone can tell me where a good price is for 4 people leaving the NYC area on Aug 10 from either JFK, LGA, or EWR coming back Aug 19, I'd appreciate the help. I don't want us to have to pay $300 pp. But if we have to then I guess we have no choice.

Also like the OP asked, do airfares tend to go down when it gets close to flying time?

I am leaving from Newark but it's September, so that might make a difference...

I paid 139.00 round trip per person for 2 of us. Nonstop to Miami via AA. The drawback, which I wished I checked out before I booked, is that the particular flight I booked has a horrible reliability rating. I have seen it cancelled quite a bit in the last few weeks. But that combined with the peak of the hurricane season is probably why it was inexpensive. :rolleyes:

I am leaving from Newark but it's September, so that might make a difference...

I paid 139.00 round trip per person for 2 of us. Nonstop to Miami via AA. The drawback, which I wished I checked out before I booked, is that the particular flight I booked has a horrible reliability rating. I have seen it cancelled quite a bit in the last few weeks. But that combined with the peak of the hurricane season is probably why it was inexpensive. :rolleyes:

Yeah thanks. On my cruise last year I was able to get reasonable airfare to Miami since we went in September also. But this time going in August is making a huge difference looks like. I will just keep checking it all out and hope the prices go down soon.

I've been watching airfare for our trip for the past few days. Never booking this close for a trip I'm not really sure what to expect as far as price changes. I found flights on Orbitz tonight that are reasonable but the flight down involves changing planes in Phil with an hour and 27 minute layover. The return flight is what I'm hesitating on as it would mean changing planes twice. Once in North Charlotte and again in Phil. The planes are all full sized planes and I'd have no trouble getting seats. I tried booking direct with US Air but they are only giving me options for one layover on the return flight for a much higher price. I've never used Orbitz so I'm unsure of how reliable they are and the pros and cons to using them? Any red flags with purchasing this particular itinerary? We'd be on Flight 1796/763 and our return would be 1942/1846/3076. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Since we still have 7 weeks to go I could wait and see if a better itinerary comes up but I keep seeing prop planes for many of flight segments :( Thanks for any and all advice :)

Ok crazed. I checked USAIR from SYR to MIA. August 3 flight 1796 departing SYR 720 am to PHL. Change to 763 to MIA arrive MIA 1255 pm. (154.00 per person)

NOW....August 12

Leave MIA 100 pm on flight 1610 to Charlotte. Change to 932 to SYR arrive home at 610 pm. (214.00 per person)

You can leave MIA earlier but you would still be getting the same plane in Charlotte. So why not spend extra time in miami instead of sitting in Charlotte?

Thats just what I picked for you. There are other flights leaving MIA that only have one stop.

Just a reminder, Orbitz and those other sites charge a fee and they may even only post intens that benefit them as far as relationship with the airline. (may or may not be true) but they atleast charge fees.

JUST AN FYI:

Tuesdays are a good day to buy tickets on airlines. Thats the day of the week the airlines go into panic and try to fill up some seats.

ALSO:

Clean your cookies on your computer. If you dont then going back to USAIR or any other airline site wont matter, chances are the prices wont change. The airlines do this hoping you will pay the price they list because its not changing. Clean your cookies and then the airline wont know you have been there before. Make sense?

P.S.

The flights leaving NY to MIA involve an Airbus A319 and Airbus A320. MIA to NY a Boeing 737 and another A319. You should be quite comfortable on all 4.

For those waiting for lower prices, keep these thoughts in mind.

Oil is back over $68 per barrel

Can anyone guess what will happen in Nigeria or Venuzuela relative to oil production?

OPEC has said they will not increase production.

We're now in hurricane season. What happens if a hundred or more oil wells are shut down? Or more refineries shut down?

The airlines need to be profitable.

I've been watching airfare for our trip for the past few days. Never booking this close for a trip I'm not really sure what to expect as far as price changes. I found flights on Orbitz tonight that are reasonable but the flight down involves changing planes in Phil with an hour and 27 minute layover. The return flight is what I'm hesitating on as it would mean changing planes twice. Once in North Charlotte and again in Phil. The planes are all full sized planes and I'd have no trouble getting seats. I tried booking direct with US Air but they are only giving me options for one layover on the return flight for a much higher price. I've never used Orbitz so I'm unsure of how reliable they are and the pros and cons to using them? Any red flags with purchasing this particular itinerary? We'd be on Flight 1796/763 and our return would be 1942/1846/3076. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Since we still have 7 weeks to go I could wait and see if a better itinerary comes up but I keep seeing prop planes for many of flight segments :( Thanks for any and all advice :)

You have to keep an eye on the prices all day everyday. The prices from Syracuse change constantly throughout the day and the week. I use yahoo farechase which checks multiple sites.

I've been going crazy looking for airfare for 6 people from BOS to FLL or MIA. I keep wanting to hit the buy button but the price seems outrageous. I'm going to use some of the tips here and see if I can find anything better.

I'm willing to leave from PVD or MHT if the price is right. Our travel dates are 8/25 (flexible as our cruise is leaving 8/27) and return date of 8/31 (not flexible due to a wedding on 9/1).

Any advice or tips are welcome!

You have to keep an eye on the prices all day everyday. The prices from Syracuse change constantly throughout the day and the week. I use yahoo farechase which checks multiple sites.

I've been watching since Friday and it seems like I've become obsessed with finding a better deal lol I will keep an eye out for a few more days but after that I'm just going to book a flight. I hate feeling like I'm tied to the computer in hopes of saving a few dollars. My time has to be worth more than that not to mention my sanity lolI do have that Yapta program set up but since I've never used it I keep wondering if it really does work. Crazy crazy crazy I should just book flights and be done with it :) I do wish we had more options flying from Syracuse to Miami like other airports have but Syracuse airport seems like a ghost town most of the time so I'm guessing there aren't enough flyers in this area? Thanks for the tips though and I'll keep an eye out :)

Not sure if this will help those looking for flights in August but I ventured out on a limb today and booked with Travelocity. I was driving myself crazy with this whole thing and had enough. I did a search on this board and found nothing that would impact my flight plans. I've always bought airfares that have restrictions and fees for any changes etc so that doesn't part bother me. The reason I booked with them was I could pick the flight times I wanted (early morning) for the outbound and returning flight. I ended up with a mixture of Us Air going down to Miami ( early flight and several more scheduled through out the day if something goes wrong) and our return flight will be AA then a (gulp) turbo prop plane with Delta for our last segment of the return flight. It's only a 1 hour 26 minute flight so I'm sure I will survive ;) These were very reasonable flights and have close to 3 hours in layovers for each segment. Am I correct in understanding that even though AA is flying us the first segment of the return flight that our luggage will be tagged to make it's way to Syracuse on the Delta turbo prop?? Will I have to retrieve it at JFK and re-check it? Thanks for any input you might have. :)

Am I correct in understanding that even though AA is flying us the first segment of the return flight that our luggage will be tagged to make it's way to Syracuse on the Delta turbo prop??

Yes, your understanding is correct. Most (all-?) legacy carriers have baggage interline agreements allowing for automatic transfer of luggage at intermediate airports. Still, when initially checking your luggage, it is useful to ask whether your luggage is being checked to your final destination. As an additive action, it doesn't hurt to glance at your tags for a visual confirmation.

Archived