Packing for Alaska in August

cj013

Going to Alaska the beginning of August for two weeks. Our first week is the land part and the second week is the cruise. Can anyone tell me how to pack for such a trip. I had heard that you should pack two bags one for the land part and one for the cruise. Will w need warm clothes and cool clothes, I have no idea where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Think layers. Alaska weather is unpredictable, and can change during the course of a single day, so you want to be prepared to adjust quickly by adding and removing layers. Be sure to include a light waterproof outer garment such as a poncho or windbreaker. Most important: Enjoy your trip!

Sept 2 will be our second time to Alaska. Agree with all of the other posters. It can be sunny and warm one day, and cold the next. Last time we did Alaska over Memorial Day and people were in swimsuits in Glacier Bay. I heard that the week after we were there it was freezing, so just do layers and you should be fine. Also pack a set of long johns for some of the excursions.

Barbara

My favorite things to pack for Alaska: silk thermal underwear - lightweight and so warm; insect repellant for the onshore part - the mosquitoes and flies can be brutal; waterproof pants and jacket with a hood; swimsuit for hot tubs and cozy cover up. I also take (but don't pack) my sense of wonder for the awesome beauty and my absolute joy to be on the ship.

One of my fondest memories is sipping a hot cocoa - laced with peppermint schnapps - on deck in Tracy Arm. Have a great cruise.

One of my fondest memories is sipping a hot cocoa - laced with peppermint schnapps - on deck in Tracy Arm. Have a great cruise.

I can savor that moment. It sounds wonderful. I am going on my first Alaskan cruise at this same time.

Archived