Just back from the Dawn

montu6

We just got back on Thursday since we chose to spend a few days in wine country after our cruise. I thought I would jot down a few comments about our cruise since I found everything others wrote so helpful before we left.

Precruise _ We flew in from Orlando one day early. This allowed us to stay the night at the Tuscan Inn and eat at Scomas. Great! Check in was a breeze. We are Platinum, but every one seemed to get on quickly. We arrived about 11:30. Took a cab from Fisherman's Wharf. Very easy.

The ship - In pretty good shape. We had a balcony room (A 603) Food was excellent to very good. Pastas outstanding. Second seating. Waiter tried to be very helpful, but we did have a slight communication problem at times. Usual Princess activities. Lots of fun!

Ports - Ketchikan was great. We were able to get off the ship early and the stores were open. Not at all crowded. Staff very helpful and friendly. We try to frequent local stores when possible. My husband went snorkling in the afternoon which he said was a neat experience and I went back to the ship. It was warm enough to swim. Quite an hoot to swim with the snow covered mountains in the background.

Sitka rained and cold. We took the Otter tour. Saw a lot of wild life. Dress warmly!!! I was glad I had my gloves, hat, fleece lined jacket and heavy raincoat! Boats were nice and naturalist did a good job. Shopped a little in the afternoon.

Juneau - Our busiest day. Went on Harv and Marv whale watching in the morning. We were the only two people on the boat since the other couple had to cancel their cruise at the last momment. Jay and Jaylene did a great job. I would recomend this if you want a personal tour. In the afternoon we did the float plane with the Taku lodge. The highlight of our trip! The views are incredible. The salmon was great. The best we had ever tasted. After dinner my husband and I were sitting at an outdoor picnic table about 10 to 12 feet from the grill where they had cooked the salmon. I looked up and there was a male black bear snacking on leftovers. He looked up at us and kept on eating. What a thrill! We took several pictures and then quietly moved away. The people from the lodge then chased the bear away with long poles.

Tracy Arm - beatiful. We got close enough to see the edge of the glacier. Not as nice as Glacier Bay. If it is your first trip to Alaska, Glacier Bay is much more spectacular. We saw lots of ice fields and glaciers before at Taku Lodge from the air.

Victoria - We went to the gardens and had tea. Absolutly beautiful. I would highly recommend this tour.

Great trip back. The Golden Gate Bridge was beautiful early in the morning on the way back to San Fransisco.

Weather - We needed it all! Warm coats and gloves, swim suits, raincoats, sun glasses. I felt silly bringing a little of everything, but I'm glad we did.

Great trip! I would recomend it to anyone

Hi Montu6, thank you so much for posting this review! We sail on the Dawn in 3 days, and the more I read about her, the more excited I get! Do you remember what time the early dinner seating is? And can you confirm that the 2nd formal night is the Victoria port day? One last request - any photos to share? :o

I'm glad you had a great trip - thanks again!

Well, since you offered... :D Can you remember about when/how many times they offered one of those laundry deals - where they wash everything you can fit in a bag for $15 or so? Any details about this would be helpful; I'm trying to pack enough "whites" to be able to take advantage of this.

Thanks again for posting the review. We have been waiting for this for over a year, so all 9 of us are about to burst! The more we can read, the better!

I can't remember ever seeing the all you can stuff in a bag deal. We've used it on other cruises. It might have been there and we just missed it. My husband did wash in the laundermats. It no longer is free. $.75 per load wash $.75 dry. Have a great trip!

Archived