What is your favorite coffeemaking device?

seacrystal

I have two upcoming cruises and have faithfully been following the Princess threads. I have learned many, many things and I have a huge list of "TO DOs." One item of disappointment is hearing about the bad coffee. May I ask what ways are there to make coffee in your own room (coffee press, etc.)?

Thanks in advance and may the suggestions begin!

I have a small coffeemaker with a stainless steel carafe that I got at Starbucks. (We can then easily bring the carafe onto the balcony!) I also buy the pre-filled filters at Starbucks so there is no measuring, no mess, etc. Very easy! We ask our cabin steward for cups and usually we get clean ones every night.

TLA - I think I may start checking small coffeemakers. Do you just put them in your carry on?

bostongal - I have heard of a French press but I don't exactly know how to use it. I know it is small but it's only one-at-a-time drinking.

frankcl - You must be working for Princess. You are the 1st person I have heard that actually liked the coffee! (no offense)

Bostongal: could you give details on the french press and possibly suggestions as to where I could purchase one. I am having a hard time visualizing it, but it sounds like it may help me reunite with my Folgers on the cruise (feel a little silly carrying on $3 a pound coffee!).:o

Bostongal: could you give details on the french press and possibly suggestions as to where I could purchase one. I am having a hard time visualizing it, but it sounds like it may help me reunite with my Folgers on the cruise (feel a little silly carrying on $3 a pound coffee!).:o

I can see your dresser top now--champagne, cavier, petit fores, and Mrs. Olsen.:D :D Just ribbing you--couldn't resist it.

The secret is in freshly ground beans. You can get a small 4 or 8 cup coffee maker and just grind your own . I use 8' O clock Columbian but if your going to all the trouble , :eek: splurge and buy your favorite exspensive blend. sb

Just got off the Dawn last week and I found a great solution! I bought a Cuisinart coffeemaker that supports 1 or 2 stainless mugs - no carafe. Get some Starbucks or other favorite coffee, some no.2 coffee filters, have the coffee ground for a cone/paper filter and enjoy.

"Real" coffee on Princess makes for a fantastic trip....especially in Alaska!

Knowing ahead of time that the coffee on the CP was awful was very beneficial.

Some of the wait staff who spoke Spanish, which Mr. Moon also speaks, confided in him in their native tongue that the coffee was good only for the first few moments when it was hot, and then became undrinkable sludge. The coffee machines aboard Princess use a syrup substance. We did taste their coffee to make sure, and indeed it tastes like what is left at the bottom of the pot hours after the coffee has been made.

If it wasn't for cc we would not have dreamed of taking our own coffee pot and ground coffee (and to you coffee drinkers, it was a necessity!). We brewed our own coffee every morning and then drank it with our room service on the balcony, as happy as two peas in a pod.

In fact, those who were in balconies above and below us could smell the real coffee brewing and would call to us asking if "starbucks was open...and would we take their first-born in exchange for a real cup of coffee!"

We carried our 2 cup, Black and Decker coffee maker (had a stainless steel mug, and had built in filter) in our carry-on, wrapped in a small towel. We brought a canister of El Pico espresso coffee, in a zip lock bag and put it in our checked in luggage. Both travelled safely and with no problem.

At first I too was going to bring a french coffee press. Then I realized if we were going to enjoy morning room service on our balcony in our pj's, neither Mr. Moon nor I would want to go to the Horizon Court for hot water; and room service hot water for tea might not be hot enough by the time it got to us. So we decided on a small coffee pot.

After you've brewed YOUR OWN morning coffee, you can find a freshly brewed cup of coffee (free of charge) at only one other place on board the CP-the lower level atrium bar! (and they also have courtesy pastries to go with it)...I only found this out mid cruise last week on the CP, and it seemed to be unadvertized, with few people aware of it

I can see your dresser top now--champagne, cavier, petit fores, and Mrs. Olsen.:D :D Just ribbing you--couldn't resist it.

I know, I know, I have tried soo... many times to be a gourmet coffee drinker, but Starbucks, flavored coffees, etc... I love my Folgers.. the richest most aromatic kind of coffee.:)

After reading the posts about the not-so-great coffee on Princess, we purchased a 4 cup Cuisinart with stainless steel carafe. Figure with stainless won't have to worry about glass breakage. Looking forward to that first cup from our balcony cabin as we cruise to Alaska!! :)

I have two upcoming cruises and have faithfully been following the Princess threads. I have learned many, many things and I have a huge list of "TO DOs." One item of disappointment is hearing about the bad coffee. May I ask what ways are there to make coffee in your own room (coffee press, etc.)?

Thanks in advance and may the suggestions begin!

Well I followed the threads also before our first Princess cruise, and being a big fan of Tim Hortons coffee, brought coffee and forgot the press at home. Was very pleasantly surprised to find the coffee was actually quite good. Although, if you are a Starbucks fan, you might not like it. But to all of you Canadians, dont bother lugging the extra stuff with you, Im sure you will find it okay for seven days.

I don't know, Tapdancer...When we sailed on our Canada/New England cruise a couple years ago, we had quite a contingent of Canadians (self included). After just a couple of days, the "buzz" on the ship that coffee drinkers in the know were looking forward to St. John. The nearest Tim Horton's was stormed by passengers in desperate need of a cup of coffee.

We take an inexpensive 4-cup drip coffee maker that doubles as a source of hot water for tea. We usually leave it for our cabin steward. They enjoy being able to make their own coffee, too.

I bought a Black and Decker Brew N' Go on amazon.com (also saw it in Walgreens for $20) before my IP cruise. I enjoyed my Gevalia every morning while my dh and dd slept in. Now I wouldn't cruise without it.

Suzanne

I was just going to ask about a coffee maker to bring onboard and have decided to bring Cuisinart 2-to-go with stainless car-type mugs. I know we are not supposed to bring appliances but I will sacrifice and use their dryer.This is my 4th cruise and my first was Celebrity Century, I couldn't drink enough of the coffee but had to give up the lunchtime cups(my tummy) Zuiderdam was very good but the RCCL Rhapsody out of Galveston was HORRIBLE! Tasted like the last night's dinner coffee heated up .I drank tea most of the week. When we drove to the Spring, Tx. area of Houston (15 min.away from home) to have a shrimp lunch at Pappadeauxs, I told waiter please brew fresh pot, I will wait . It was delicious. I really was cranky from not having my good coffee. So I was a little disappointed hearing about Princess coffee. I too, buy coffee in different ports. All of your answers helped me tremendously. Thanks to all you coffee afficianados. Marie :<)

I was just going to ask about a coffee maker to bring onboard and have decided to bring Cuisinart 2-to-go with stainless car-type mugs. I know we are not supposed to bring appliances but I will sacrifice and use their dryer.This is my 4th cruise and my first was Celebrity Century, I couldn't drink enough of the coffee but had to give up the lunchtime cups(my tummy) Zuiderdam was very good but the RCCL Rhapsody out of Galveston was HORRIBLE! Tasted like the last night's dinner coffee heated up .I drank tea most of the week. When we drove to the Spring, Tx. area of Houston (15 min.away from home) to have a shrimp lunch at Pappadeauxs, I told waiter please brew fresh pot, I will wait . It was delicious. I really was cranky from not having my good coffee. So I was a little disappointed hearing about Princess coffee. I too, buy coffee in different ports. All of your answers helped me trendously. Thanks to all you coffee afficianados. Marie P.S. Macys has sale on it for about $27 now.

Yes, we bring it in our carry-on. We like the stainless because it won't break and it keeps the coffee warm without a burner. I highly recommend the pre-filled filters as they are much easier to use and dispose of. We did try the french press once but found getting the hot water and disposing of the coffee grounds too cumbersome and messy.

Enjoy!

I am totally blown away at the responses to my thread. It is wonderful to note that my answers were received from CA, FL, MI, NJ, OK, OR, TX, VA, WA and our Canadian friends. Taste buds all over the country are craving good coffee, wherever they can find it! Princess are you listening?

I am definitely taking a pot with me. So far I am leaning toward the Black & Decker model.

Baroo - - - thanks for the interesting site on the French press. It is amazing to see how it works.

Great responses!!!! Thanks again (God, I love CruiseCritic)

I was going to say the smae thing, my wife makes excellent coffee with Starbucks from BJ's.

That Black and DEcker device sounds like it may be worth looking into.

The coffee on most ships is poor. I often order Espresso if it comes from the kitchen, otherwise you pay a bartab.

Barry

Archived