Pill box question?

Going on first cruise sooooonnnnn!!!!-

Okay-focus-----

I keep meds-BP-headache etc. in my purse instead of my prescription bottles---should I carry the prescription bottles in my purse and leave my pill box at home??? I do plan on bringing both but don't want any hassels in ports----searches etc....

Thanks-

My pharmacist advised me to leave my meds in their original container. Apparently security is checking bottles these days, and if you don't have the original container they may chuck it!

I Agree!

Better Safe Than Sorry!

I packed my little seven day pill boxes in a zip lock bag with all of the prescription bottles in my suitcase and checked it. No problem.

When I went ashore, I took my nitroglycerin prescription bottle with me just in case.

I always take my DH pills in their original bottle in my carry-on along with his pill box. When we get in our room, I put his pills in for the week and put his pills right back in our luggage so that I won't forget the rest of them. I have never been stopped to check the pill bottles, but I have been told to travel with them in the original containers.

I always take my DH pills in their original bottle in my carry-on along with his pill box. When we get in our room, I put his pills in for the week and put his pills right back in our luggage so that I won't forget the rest of them. I have never been stopped to check the pill bottles, but I have been told to travel with them in the original containers.

I agree with this poster. I always carry our medication in my handbag in the original presciption bottles. Our vitamins we put in the 7 day thing and place in our luggage. This works well and there is never a question. I did get stopped in San Diego for a lipstick once :D No I am not kidding but I was happy to have the search and tried to be as pleasant as possible. I figured the person checking needed positive reinforcement that it was ok it can't be fun listening to complaints about being stopped all day. He told me they thought it was a cigarette lighter. I think the poor guy is still trying to figure out why I was nice to him.

Going on first cruise sooooonnnnn!!!!-

Okay-focus-----

I keep meds-BP-headache etc. in my purse instead of my prescription bottles---should I carry the prescription bottles in my purse and leave my pill box at home??? I do plan on bringing both but don't want any hassels in ports----searches etc....

Thanks-

You won't have a problem getting on t he ship, but you may have a problem getting on a plane doing that. I have many meds to take with me and make sure I taken them in their original prescription bottles in a clear zip lock bag. And that bag has to be removed from my carry on and put in the bin going through security.

I take my medication and my DH in the 7 day pill container.. Never have had a problem. We also take our slips with us that we get when we get the medications. And also ALWAYS take them in the CARRY ON never put them in the Checked luggage. My cousin and I went on a cruise together and I TOLD her DO NOT put your pills in your checked luggage.. DUH that is exactly what she did and she had no pills with her for DINNER time she never got her suit case till way in the AM.................:D :D

If they lose your luggage what are you going to do?

I have always kept my pills and my CPAP in a small roll along case with me in the past. This year I wrapped it with duct tape and wrote the room number on all four sides and checked it. It was the first piece of luggage to make it to the room.

If it did get lost, I could always get a weeks worth of pills from the ship's Doctor.

I fill a gallon size ziplock bag with all of my medications in their origional bottles I take on a daily basis, and carry it with me on the plane. I just lay it (the bag) in the bin along with the rest of my stuff at the check points. Have never had a problem with TSA. I know it is a hassle, but it is better to be safe. I would never check medication in with my luggage just in case it gets lost. Having extra prescriptions is great but wouldn't want to go thru the hassle of getting things refilled (with insurance and all). I've been there. And it IS a hassle if the type of medication you take is not a common one.

I never even thought to take all those original bottles with me on a 7 day trip!!!! i figured just take the 7 days worth of medicine and 2 extra days in case we got lucky and was stuck out to sea:D . I brought them in my carry on and never had a problem.

Illegal????? yikes I didn't know that!! Even non narcotics?

Ilegal not to have neds in original bottles? Guess we've been lucky. Us old folks take a lot of pills daily & I put them in our 7 day containers in my carry on but have a list of meds on the clinic letterhead, signed by our Dr.. How dangerous would that be to have heart, BP & diabetes meds tossed? The original bottles are large & all the xtras like vitamins ect. won't even fit in a gal. bag. I had to lol when I originally saw this rule. How many TSAs would recognize the pills in a bottle anyway? Drs. & Pharmacists can't even ID all of them!

We got our pharmacist to put a label on a smaller size pill bottle for taking with us. We did that and then we didn't have to pack the larger bottle or box.

Like others have said, always take all medication with you, do not check it in your luggage. You may never see that bag again if it is lost and then you have no medication.

We put the bottles in a zip lock and put it in the bin at the airport as well.

Another reason to take the original bottle is if something happens to you and you cant communicate for some reason. Doctors sometimes need to know what meds you are on. It is easier for them to find out if they find pill bottles on you than to have to dig through a pill box.

You may know what the pills are for, but if you cant talk or not conscious how can you tell anybody? :confused:

This is from the TSA website:

All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed.

Medications must be labeled so they are identifiable.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) migraine inhalers and CO2 refills.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they been screened.

Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

• You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise you medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.
  • If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have you medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.
  • Request the visual inspection and hand your medication pouch/bag to the Security Officer.
  • In order to prevent contamination or damage to medication and associated supplies and/or fragile medical materials, you will be asked at the security checkpoint to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during the visual inspection process.
  • Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

The TSA rules contradict one another:

Medications must be labeled so they are identifiable.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they been screened.

How can they be labeled to be identified if they are in daily dosage containers?

I won't take a chance that one screener might interpret the rule one way and one another - I take the prescription bottles. I have enough to fill a gallon bag, but I've never had a problem getting through Security with them in their bottles, so that is the way I take them.

I have probably 4 bottles of prescription meds with me, so I will just carry them in my purse.....as my husband/kids seem to think "what's one more thing for mom to carry" LOLOLOL....

Thank you for all the advise.....Plan on being safe rather than sorry....Can't wait.....YAHOOOOOOOOO:D

There are very small ziplock bags for pills (you can find them at Walgreens or Walmart), that I use when I travel. I take several medications a day. I simply take 7 (or 8 for extra) days worth of medications in these small ziplocks. I have travelled extensively with them. On planes and on cruises. TSA has no problem with them. I carry them in my carry on bag. I have never had to drag all of the medicine bottles with me. I have never had to take them from my carry on for inspection.

Using a pill box at home is fine. However, traveling with prescription medication without the prescription bottles is actually illegal.

DITTO!!! I totally agree with this post!

And you shouldn't check your RX either :eek: . If your luggage comes up lost or delayed, what will you do. I keep my prescriptions in my purse along with a bottle of water and have never had a problem. I thought that the water would get me in trouble, but no one said a thing :) .

Another reason to take the original bottle is if something happens to you and you cant communicate for some reason. Doctors sometimes need to know what meds you are on. It is easier for them to find out if they find pill bottles on you than to have to dig through a pill box.

You may know what the pills are for' date=' but if you cant talk or not conscious how can you tell anybody? :confused:[/quote']

My mother is on 16 different medications, and takes more supplements than I've ever seen in my entire life (she lost count at 12). She also suffers from mild dementia, and has a very limited short time memory. When she was visiting us, she needed to see the doctor and I told her to make a list of all the medications in her gallon sized (she had 4 of them) Ziploc bags and write down next to the names what the medications have been prescribed for. She kept saying she'd remember everything when we got to the clinic, but I insisted because I know that under pressure her memory is even worse. When the doctor came in the room, she had her list ready and just handed it to her. She now carries this list with her meds, and it has come in handy a couple of times.

Thankfully I don't take any meds. on a regular basis, but I was at the doctor's on Wed. and asked her about taking medications on ship. She said that no matter how I travel, I should ALWAYS keep it in the original containers. That way, there is never a question as to what it is and who it's for. If you need a pill box to remember your meds take it with you and fill it when you get to your destination. Always keep your meds WITH you not in your checked luggage, especially if it's a crucial med.

I've heard of people being stopped for traffic violations that resulted in added charges for "prescription medication in unmarked container" (or something to that effect) so it is apparently illegal. Since neither the TSA nor the cruise line are law enforcement, they probably don't care - but if you get picked for a search by customs, that could be a big problem or at least a headache that could have been avoided.

Archived