Has Anyone Been Close to Hubbard in 2007?

tapia

We just got back from the Serenade of the Seas. Captain took us about 200 yards from the glacier. An amazing experience and one of the highlights of our trip. The Mercury was there also, but didn't get nearly as close as we did. Our captain just eased us through the ice until we were in the clear. The crew on the ship were calling him the "Hubbard cowboy"! Even they were amazed at how close we were.

hubbard.jpg

We just got back from the Serenade of the Seas. Captain took us about 200 yards from the glacier. An amazing experience and one of the highlights of our trip. The Mercury was there also, but didn't get nearly as close as we did. Our captain just eased us through the ice until we were in the clear. The crew on the ship were calling him the "Hubbard cowboy"! Even they were amazed at how close we were.

Wow - sounds as though you were there just one week after us. Our cruise didn't get very near Hubbard at all. I was expecting to be close like your photos - but we were way out in the water, had to use binoculars to see much of anything.

BTW, your two photos are AMAZING - thanks for sharing!

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!!!! Thx so much for posting...we will be at Hubbard next May...I just hope we have a cowboy captain. This year we were very close to sawyer in Tracy Arm...but Hubbard looks even prettier....Thx again:)

..and I thought we were close then!

I too want Hubbard Cowboy but it looks like Celebrity's Captains aren't into 'pushing it' any :( - hope the Summit Captain gets more courage before we go.

Hi Pasadenadog

Wow! Great pictures. I will be on the Serenade on Sept 1st and I hope we get "Hubbard cowboy". Who is the captain by the way? Are you planning on doing a review for your cruise?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I think you'll have the same captain. Sorry I can't recall his name, but he just took over the Serenade so he should be at the helm for awhile. I'll be doing a full review tonight...

We just returned from the Inside Passage aboard the Mercury. Hubbard Glacier was awesome! I would guess we were about 1/2 mile out, but a Princess ship was way in, in fact we were told they stayed too long and that is why we couldn't get closer. I think our captain was gun shy, as we heard he didn't get closer on another cruise either. Anyways, it was really cool. Our day was mostly sunny, which is a rare treat. We saw ice crashing off a lot, mostly to the left side. Lots of little floating bergs around us, some crystal clear blue, looked like glass. Every time the ship turned around with the rear towards the glacier (which is where we were), it was a lot colder. Pretty neat. My advice...take binoculars and a good zoom camera. Have a blast, Jean

• 2 weeks later...
Believe me 2.5 hours of viewing time is plenty....it's a glacier, it isn't going anywhere fast! :D

It may be plenty for you, but we really enjoy the glaciers. We aren't new to Alaska cruising...and it's said to say, but there's a huge difference in what we saw on our first trip into Glacier Bay 20 years ago and what we saw a few years ago.

Friends of ours just returned from cruising on the Oosterdam. They were at Hubbard Glacier on July 10th, and got within 1/2 mile of Hubbard Glacier. The captain said it was the closest he had gotten this season - but maybe they all say that!

Pasadenadog - great pictures of the glacier. Here's a picture of your ship in front of the glacier that was taken by my husband. We were there the same day on the Mercury.

What a great photo!! Is there any way that I can get a larger version of it? We are going to be on the Serenade in August and I'd love to have that as my wallpaper until we go. :)

De

It seems to me that a lot of the ships aren't getting as close as they did in prior years to Hubbard....is that the case?

Has anyone been close and seen good calfing this year?

We just returned from Serenade on 7/7/7 and we were 1/2 mile out. We could see the ice falling from the glacier from the deck and our balcony. With our binoch's it was even more beautiful. I guess even with all the ice and lots of small to med. bergs out there he did a fantastic job of getting close. Some of the crew said they have never even been that close before! Two ships were waiting to go in after us and one went 1/2 way and turned around and the other did not attempt to go in at all. We were super lucky!!

Have a great cruise!

coming up: Monarch of the Seas - 1/25/08 ;)

birdegal - that photo is fantastic! I'd love to get a copy of it too if you don't mind sharing it. We were on Serenade June 2nd and didn't get close to the glacier at all - I'm so envious of all those on this sailing. my email is bjksgk at aol dot com if you could send it to me please?

Pasadenadog your pics are terrific too - I'm guessing the captain had changed between our sailing and yours cause our captain was definitely no cowboy!

hubbard.jpg

we were on the same cruise...........was that amazing or what?? I thought we were about 1 1/2 out, but your right it was a few hundred yards huh?

I loved our captain for that, the other 2 ships were like "never mind"!!!

Lots ice and bergs, some even banging around the ship, felt weird!

We have the same pic's like this one, about 500 !

coming up: Monarch of the Seas - 1/25/08 ;)

I just right-clicked on the picture and saved it to background. Thanks for the wonderful shot - we will be there in 12 days!! Hope we get that close - we were there last summer and got really close too. Most awesome part of the journey.:p

bjksgk - I'm emailing this photo to you. Please let me know if you get it.

RanDe - can you give me an email adress to send the photo to?

Sure, I'd be happy to...and thanks so much for sharing it with us. It is rdcall at mchsi dot com.

De

Sure, I'd be happy to...and thanks so much for sharing it with us. It is rdcall at mchsi dot com.

De

I sent the email. Hope it works OK for you. If not, you might try what snowmc suggested.

Sounds like the Serenade is the ship to be on if you want to get close to the glacier!

Archived