Glacier Landing in August

bluedaisy

I'm looking to book a glacier landing in addition to a flightseeing tour around McKinley out of Talkeetna. I was considering using the 2-for-1 coupon with Talkeetna Air Taxi, but was concerned of the 7pm departure. I know there is extended daylight in Alaska, but will it still be enough light in mid August at 7pm? Also, will there still be snow on this landing? We're considering also doing a glacier landing later in the cruise to get a different experience with ice. Which glacier/port would be best to do this in? (We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Icy Strait Point) We would really enjoy experiencing two different flights/experiences (one with more snow, and one with the details of a glacier). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Perhaps some poster who live further north will give you more definite info, but I live in Juneau, and sun doesn't set until midnight. The paper claims it sets earlier, but it's more like dusk at 11pm; there's still enough light to see. Although the days start getting shorter after the solstice, I'd think the 7pm time would give you an even better experience, as the sun is lower and you may get some beautiful skies.

Yes the glacier landing ski plane flights out of Talkeetna are still running in August and indeed you have enough daylight with dusk around 10pm with extended twilight.

For a glacier helicopter landing, choose out of Juneau or Skagway, where it fits your time best.

Archived