Cunard airport transfers to Southampton

3rdGenCunarder

I am trying to figure out travel plans for next May's QE2 cruise. Cunard's air is expensive, and I'm sure we can do better booking our own flights. But getting to Southampton is a problem. We have taken Cunard transfers from Heathrow in the past when we have booked Cunard's air package. Does anyone know if they also offer transfers from Gatwick? (I usually fly Continental, and they go in and out of Gatwick)

You can easily get a Coach or Train to Southampton from Gatwick. Southampton is a main line train station and not far from the dock.

I tried to figure out how to do this on a Britrail site and didn't have much luck. I've taken the train from London to Southampton to get to a cruise, never tried it from the airport. Is it a direct run from Gatwick to Sou't'n, or would we need to change trains? (Luggage is an issue when I pack for a cruise, and I want to keep the connections sane.)

This useful website seems to cover all the options. Coach looks a good idea with a good luggage allowance and no changes. They leave every hour. Time wise I do not think there will be much in it.

When I put my own flights together I normally overnight somewhere near the ship just in case !

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/gatwick_southampton.htm

This looks like a great lead, thank you. It's good to know I have some options.

I agree about traveling a day early. I have traveled day-of using the ship's flights. If I'm on my own, I'm a little nervous about cutting it close, and try to give myself an extra day. It also makes the embarkation photo better--after 2-3 hours in an airport, 8 on a plane, another 2 or so in another airport, then a few hours on a bus, I am NOT photography-ready!

Archived