suggestions for excursion in Belize City

My Mom (mid 70s) & I (mid 40s) are going on a 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

Ship Name: Enchantment of the Seas

Sail Date: 22-Oct-2007 to 27-Oct-2007

Departing From: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have been to all the places on the agenda with the exception of Belize City.

I was wondering what trips or excursions are highly recommended. I love the water, my mom loves to sight see and shop, I figure we could shop in the morning and do an excursion in the afternoon. I have found many times that you can do the excursions cheaper on your own then thru the cruise line. Any suggestions??

We were there in May. We didn't feel like trekking to ruins, so we took the River Cruise/Zoo combo. It was actually very nice. Saw a lot of wildlife on the riverbanks; had a nice (basic) barbecued chicken lunch at a riverside inn (rustic comes to mind; local also) and the zoo was actually very interesting. They have more relaxed idea of safety rules and you can really get up close to the animals (keep your hands out of the cages).

Ron

Bannister Island is wonderful if you like sun, sand and sea!!!!:) (tip though, coincince the trip which is only about 3 hours with eating back on ship as the food on island is rank!!!:eek: ......)I was on Legend in April 07 when we visited on ship excursion. Hollyanna

We went cave-tubing with cave-tubing.com and it was the best excursion we did!! I HIGHLY recommend it. Also, I was so glad we booked through an outside company and not with the cruise ship... We saved about 50% per person and got to do two caves instead of just the one that the other people did. We also had a guide for every 5 - 6 people that would actually pull and paddle us through the caves. It was definitely the VIP service and all the other cruise ship people kept asking "What tour are you all on?!?!?"

After tubing they took us to a local restaurant for red beans, rice, and chicken. A giant plate of food for $5.

It was a great time, I would go back in a heartbeat!!

P.S. We didn't see any snakes, lizards, or even bugs! I was shocked! Not even a misquito! You think Belize = Bugs, but I was happily mistaken!

Have fun in Belize, you will love it!

I can't help with what to do, but I can tell you our ship-sponsored excursion to Rendezvous Cay was the worst snorkeling I've ever had. We ended up with 3 cuts on our feet and we've never, ever been cut on any snorkel trip before. There were very few fish and the sand on the tiny cay was very sharp crushed coral.

I used to go hiking barefoot, so I'm not a tenderfoot, but this tour was not a good option IMO. It is a beautiful boat ride out there & back though. :)

I just re-read your post and missed the part about your mom being in her 70's... This is a slightly more active excursion than shopping, so that is definitely something to keep in mind.

You do have to carry your tube and walk on a wide path through the rain forrest for about 20 minutes. If you all aren't the outdoorsey type, this is probably not for you! :-)

We are in our mid 20's, but we had several people 60+ in our group that didn't have a problem. Just depends on how active you want to be! :-)

Have fun in Belize!

not really much shopping in Belize except right at the port. Ferry to Caye Caulker might be a bit much for your mom. Ruins tour might be good as it is cooler that time of year, but the train tour might be your best bet. Tubing and Zipline probably not up her alley either.

My Mom (mid 70s) & I (mid 40s) are going on a 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

Ship Name: Enchantment of the Seas

Sail Date: 22-Oct-2007 to 27-Oct-2007

Departing From: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have been to all the places on the agenda with the exception of Belize City.

I was wondering what trips or excursions are highly recommended. I love the water, my mom loves to sight see and shop, I figure we could shop in the morning and do an excursion in the afternoon. I have found many times that you can do the excursions cheaper on your own then thru the cruise line. Any suggestions??

Check out our thread in the Roll Call Forum! (I'd post the link, but I don't know how to do that! Sorry!) We've been discussing possible excursions on that thread, so you'll get LOTS of ideas there!

• 2 weeks later...

There are two vendors who do a snorkeling excursion to Caye Caulker or Banister Island and both have a ride along rate. My mom has said I could go by myself, but do not really want to. Will my mom be safe on the island by herself if she just rode along to the island and then hung out??

The vendors are shoretrips dot com and coralbreezetours dot com. Has any one used these vendors before?

The trip is almost 5 hours, we will not really have time to see Belize, is there any thing we will be missing right by the pier?

Archived