Cost of Train vs. Bus Whittier to Anchorage

RebelTX

If you go to this site, you can see a full assortment of options for your transfer from Whittier to Anchorage. http://www.exploreanchorage.net/913.cfm

As you have not booked a cruise yet, one piece of advice is to be sure to have two nights in Denali so that you can do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We saw every kind of animal except wolves. It was stupendous!

As you have not booked a cruise yet, one piece of advice is to be sure to have two nights in Denali so that you can do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We saw every kind of animal except wolves. It was stupendous!

If you are going independent, I do not recommend the TWT at triple the cost of the Fish Creek shuttle which goes 10 miles further. If on a cruise tour, the TWT is definately the choice to make over the Natural History tour.

We booked the train on our own, and our fare was $58 pp.

We will be staying mid-town the night before, in a hotel that has transfers from the airport. The next morning we will go to the train depot, also on our own. Either we will transfer via the hotel shuttle if that option is offered, or we will take a taxi....so I guess you will have to add that taxi fare to the per person price of the train, just to make all things equal.

Maddle

We booked the train on our own, and our fare was $58 pp.

Different train though. The only way you can get a morning train transfer from Whittier to Anchorage is through Princess (at $90). The regular train goes Whitter/Anchorage in the evening.

Was an easy choice for me; wanted the scenic train ride, but also needed to get on the road to Denali (from Anchorage rental car place) as soon as possible, so no problem with the extra $$! :D

Hi. We booked a shuttle transfer through limosinesofalaska (I think). Just google limosines of Alaska. The price was $39 pp. It was cheaper if you booked earlier (I was told) . If you had more than 3 people it would be just as cheap to get a limo. I booked it on their website. Print out the voucher and they get you to sign for the VISA when you get o the bus.

They were great. They met us at the departure lounge (at the ship) at 8.30am.

Different train though. The only way you can get a morning train transfer from Whittier to Anchorage is through Princess (at $90). The regular train goes Whitter/Anchorage in the evening.

Was an easy choice for me; wanted the scenic train ride, but also needed to get on the road to Denali (from Anchorage rental car place) as soon as possible, so no problem with the extra $$! :D

Yes - my mistake, and you are correct; I mis-read this topic. I will be going Anchorage in the morning to Whittier, where I will board a cruise ship and head south. I am glad you caught that (and I am glad I put enough details in my post.)

Maddle

Archived