Princess to Bermuda- Why not?

pamwinn

Thanks Pam :)

If I didn't have a lot of time invested in the web pages - not sure if I would have paid the fee. But creating web pages with them is so easy.....I keep renewing. One of these days I am going to label my Alaskan pics.

I recall reading that Princess sold it's berthing privileges in Bermuda to another line when they retired the old Pacific Princess. In addition to the size of the ships calling, it sounds like the Bermudan authorities limit the number of ships visiting the island.

I am confused - isn't the Voyager of the Seas (RCCL's very large ship) going to Bermuda? They are only stopping at Kings Wharf - is that why they can go?

I always heard about the size issue but was perpluxed when I heard about the VOS going.

I am pretty sure that Princ ess sold its berthing rights to NCL for a period of time after the old Island Princess. I find it weird that Bermuda and Princess have not pursued one another considering the British influence of both. Perhaps they just have better options.

The larger ships can only dock at the outer docks and not right in the cities. This is not always a desired location. Also, the Bermuda government regulates the number of tourist that arrive on a given day via cruise ships.

It is my understanding that Voyager of the Seas is only in Bermuda for 1 day. It does 5 days sailing from New York. 4 of those are sea days. I'm not sure if they made an exception for the VOS since it will not be docked there overnight.

Sure wish Princess would move the Tahitian or new Pacific to Bermuda in the Summer. We'd book it for sure!

It is my understanding that Voyager of the Seas is only in Bermuda for 1 day. It does 5 days sailing from New York. 4 of those are sea days. I'm not sure if they made an exception for the VOS since it will not be docked there overnight.

Sure wish Princess would move the Tahitian or new Pacific to Bermuda in the Summer. We'd book it for sure!

THey have an overnight stay at King's Wharf according to the RCI website.

Kkorman's right, Princess sold its berth rights to NCL BUT I seem to remember that looking at the 2005 schedule, Princess is going to make a stop in Bermuda for a repo cruise from the Caribbean to the East Coast. I'll check it out.

I remember seeing this as well. I thought it was a stop crossing the Atlantic on one of the Grand class ships.

I also thought that Princess only sold the rights to the berth for 2 or 3 years. I could be wrong on that one, but looks like it is at least 3 years as 2005 is out for Princess as well.

I found it!!!

KKorman, you were right (again :) ): it's a Transantlantic. Oh, and I also remember reading about Princess selling its rights for 2 or 3 years so who knows, maybe Princess will be back in the Bermudas.

Here's the cruise information for those who might be interested it's a great itinerary:

Mediterranean/Transatlantic - Galveston/Rome

16-day Mediterranean/Transatlantic cruise sailing from Galveston to Rome featuring Bermuda, the Azores Islands, Lisbon, Barcelona, Cannes/Monte Carlo, and Florence/Pisa.

Itinerary: A517A | Ship: Grand Princess

Departure Date: April 16, 2005

1 Galveston, Texas, United States 4:00 PM View

2 At Sea

3 Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, United States 3:00 PM 6:00 PM

4 At Sea

5 At Sea

6 Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 8:00 AM 3:00 PM

7 At Sea

8 At Sea

9 At Sea

10 Azores Islands (Ponta Delgada), Portugal 12:00 PM 6:00 PM

11 At Sea

12 Lisbon, Portugal 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

13 At Sea

14 Barcelona, Spain 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

15 Cannes, France (for Monte Carlo) 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

16 Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

17 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 4:00 AM

We were on the Tahitian Princess in March and just loved the ship. Renaissance Cruises got something right when they designed the "R" series ships.

If the new Pacific Princess was sailing to Bermuda, the decision on what line and what ship would be a no brainer. As it is, we're going on the Horizon.

Archived