NYC: What to do with luggage??

eki

Hi,

We're sailing out in and out of New York in a few weeks. We've got a few hours between getting off the ship and our return flight (about 4 hours). Any ideas of what we could do? We're going to have luggage and a toddler :)

The cruise line (NCL) doesn't offer excursions (which would be nice for storing the luggage).

Thank you!!!

If I'm reading this right, you have 4 hours from when you get off the ship till your flight. Really this isn't that much time. By the time you get to the airport & then go through check-in/security, it'll almost be time for your flight.

Also you didn't say which airport you're flying from. This can make a difference if it is JFK, EWR, or LGA. All of them can take either 30 minutes to 3 hours to get to depending on traffic.

If I'm reading this right, you have 4 hours from when you get off the ship till your flight. Really this isn't that much time. By the time you get to the airport & then go through check-in/security, it'll almost be time for your flight.

Also you didn't say which airport you're flying from. This can make a difference if it is JFK, EWR, or LGA. All of them can take either 30 minutes to 3 hours to get to depending on traffic.

Hi,

We're sailing out in and out of New York in a few weeks. We've got a few hours between getting off the ship and our return flight (about 4 hours). Any ideas of what we could do? We're going to have luggage and a toddler :)

The cruise line (NCL) doesn't offer excursions (which would be nice for storing the luggage).

Thank you!!!

while i am not a parent...i do see how my sister handles her 2 boys (3 and 1). i would agree that you're going to need those 4 hrs to make sure you get to the airport with enough time...given you have luggage, and a toddler.

that's how i would play it. traffic in the NY metro area can really suck.

Sorry I wasn't clear - the ship docks at 10 am. I'm thinking we'll be off by 12 - our flight doesn't leave until 6 pm, flying out of EWR. Should we still go straight to the airport?

Sorry I wasn't clear - the ship docks at 10 am. I'm thinking we'll be off by 12 - our flight doesn't leave until 6 pm, flying out of EWR. Should we still go straight to the airport?

well...doing the math:

(4hrs) - (2hrs for check-in/security/etc) - (0.5hrs travel time, no traffic) = 1.5hrs to do "something".

traffic to the Lincoln Tunnel can get backed up...sometimes 30min just get through...so now you are down to 1hr. traffic can be very unpredictable.

i'm sorry...i wouldn't try to squeeze anything else if i were you...especially with a toddler. besides...you won't really be near anything worth seeing that won't require a taxi, bus, subway...all the while you have your luggage with you.

but what do i know...i only live in NJ and work in Manhattan.

EDIT: ok...so you really have a span of 6hrs (as i re-read this).

(6hrs) - (2hrs for check-in/security/etc) - (0.5hrs travel time, no traffic) = 3.5hrs to do "something". while it does seem like you have more time to do things...i'm not sure i want the hassle of my luggage with me.

You could try shopping in NYC if you like shopping. You just sit in on of NYC's parks and view that city for a couple of hours. Battery park is a nice area. It was entertainment, shopping, great views, food, and purses.

You could try shopping in NYC if you like shopping. You just sit in on of NYC's parks and view that city for a couple of hours. Battery park is a nice area. It was entertainment, shopping, great views, food, and purses.

while i agree with this suggestion...battery park is WAAAAAAAAAAY downtown...in fact the southern tip of manhattan.

how in the world are they going to manage their luggage, push the stoller for the toddler, and get to any place in manhattan without the hassle of their stuff. i doubt the toddler can pull their luggage.

not being condescending. i'm struggling to be a good poster...i love helping people...but the darn luggage is getting in my way!

Thanks! I appreciate the honest feedback. I don't think I'd like to be stuck with all my bags and a toddler unless there was a really good suggestion.

Another thought - could we try to get off the ship quickly and get to the airport, check our bags, and do something around EWR? (I have no clue what's around there!!!)

Your choices are limited but the best way in my opinion is to hire a car service for 4-5 hours. That way the car stays with you drives you and your luggage where you want to go and takes your to the airport. Then you can go anywhere in this amount of time the Battery, shopping, the Cloisters for that matter(its part of the Met located at North end of Manhattan). Going to the Battery this way is easy and then you take the Holland tunnel to EWR its a quick minute ride. It isn't cheap it probably will cost $200.00 or so....

Your choices are limited but the best way in my opinion is to hire a car service for 4-5 hours. That way the car stays with you drives you and your luggage where you want to go and takes your to the airport. Then you can go anywhere in this amount of time the Battery, shopping, the Cloisters for that matter(its part of the Met located at North end of Manhattan). Going to the Battery this way is easy and then you take the Holland tunnel to EWR its a quick minute ride. It isn't cheap it probably will cost $200.00 or so....

now there's an idea! and that sounds about as much as a cruise excursion.

That is a good idea - one related question - do you know the latest that we could get off the ship. (It's scheduled to be in port at 10.) Could we stretch that to 11:30 so that we're not waiting as long in the airport?

That is a good idea - one related question - do you know the latest that we could get off the ship. (It's scheduled to be in port at 10.) Could we stretch that to 11:30 so that we're not waiting as long in the airport?

If it is scheduled to be in Port at 10:00 on NCL 11;30 should be no problem....in fact NCL normally allows you to stay in your room until your color is called and then they do expect you to leave the room....but you can sit on the ship until noon without much problem...

There's the Liberty Science Center in NJ. Not -that- far of a cab ride from EWR. Plus as it's geared towards the kids it's a great way to keep them entertained and hopefully exhaust them a bit before the flight. You'd just need to arrange for transport back to EWR ahead of time as there aren't any taxi's that cruise around that area.

There's the Liberty Science Center in NJ. Not -that- far of a cab ride from EWR. Plus as it's geared towards the kids it's a great way to keep them entertained and hopefully exhaust them a bit before the flight. You'd just need to arrange for transport back to EWR ahead of time as there aren't any taxi's that cruise around that area.

The Liberty Science Center is still closed for construction.

Find out how long NCL will hold your luggage. I'd go next door to the Intrepid for a hour or two then head to NJ. To kill time you can get some really expensive AP food but there are no good luggage options in NYC.

Find out how long NCL will hold your luggage. I'd go next door to the Intrepid for a hour or two then head to NJ. To kill time you can get some really expensive AP food but there are no good luggage options in NYC.

The Intrepid been moved to dry dock and the pier is being redone. It won't be back until 2008. By 2 pm your luggage will be removed to a holding area for unclaimed luggage.

The Intrepid been moved to dry dock and the pier is being redone. It won't be back until 2008. By 2 pm your luggage will be removed to a holding area for unclaimed luggage.

Shows you how often I go to the West side or pay attention to what's going on around me. :o

Shows you how often I go to the West side or pay attention to what's going on around me. :o

Not only did it make the news but they had a big report when they couldn't get it to move after spending millions dredging. The Navy and the Corp of Engineers were brought in and as an exercise(i.e they didn't charge) they freed it in about a month. It was just moved from a dry dock to an outfitting pier as its displays are being redone and when it was about to move one of the WWII vets suffered a heart attack and is OK this made the news too---You could see it in Bayonne when it was in the Dry Dock its in Staten Island some place now...

We are on the Explorer which is scheduled to dock at 7 am. We're usually off of the ship by 8:30 or 9 at the latest. Our flight leaves Newark at 5:30pm. I called RCI and asked which airlines offered Valet Luggage Service and was told that Continental, Delta, American and ??? (can't remember the 4th) would take our luggage from the cruise terminal directly to the airport for us. I hope this information is correct. We used the American Airlines Valet Service after docking in Ft. Lauderdale and it was SO easy. We grabbed our bags, cleared customs, checked them with American at the cruise terminal crub and were on our way in 5 minutes. Assuming this is the case and that we are rid of luggage by 9 or so, would the outlet mall in Elizabeth be a good way to kill some time? Other suggestions? I don't want to get too far from the airport as we'd want to be there by 3 to be on the safe side.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I think that the car service is going to be too expensive. I had one last thought - please tell me if this is feasible or crazy. (Keep in mind, we'll have our toddler with us!) I was thinking that we could get off the ship in the morning - then go straight to the airport and check all our bags. Then, depending on what time it is - use some other form of transportation (bus, airtrain, ?) to take us to a destination fairly close. Is this crazy - or should I just abandon the idea of seeing anything in NYC?

Thanks!!!

I'm going to reply to my own post for those who are interested. :)

I've come up with 2 more options:

1) Store luggage at a locker location to tour around city. (Example: http://www.jsrentalocker.com)

2) Rent a car , use it to get to the airport and to store luggage in! I don't know why I didn't think of this one!! There are several rental car places within a mile of the ship. We could rent a car, store our luggage in it, stop at a few places, and let our little guy nap in the car. Plus, the cost is only $70 - just $20 more than other options. The only downside is driving in NYC!! (Any thoughts on that one??? :p)

We will be getting off the N. Crown on 7/22 (docks 7am) and our flight from JFK leaves at 7:55. I found a private tour company who will pick us up, provide a tour of NY including stops, and take us to the airport (aprox 6 1/2hrs). Seems like a perfect solution, since our bags will be with us.

Archived