Formal clothing for children

calikak

Rather than continue to hijack another unrelated thread, I thought I'd move the discussion of what's appropriate clothing for small children on formal night over here.

We were discussing Eton Suits and how adorable they are on toddlers. I'm considering something like this for formal night for our son, who will be 17 months old on our cruise:

http://www.bestdressedchild.com/imporliboblv.html[/url]

Of course he'd wear that with white knee socks and white shoes. :) I know it's "shorts" but would any of the fashion police out there object to this outfit? Most likely he'll eat maybe one dinner in the dining room, but we'll want to take him out and about on one of the formal nights to get a nice family picture taken.

I am quite sure that no-one will take offence at that! When we took our little boy away when he was 13 months, he was too tired for evening meals.

For September, he has a little Tux, and a tartan waistcoat for our Scottish nights! We have booked him a place for dinner, but I fear that he will not make too many of them!

Your little man will look adorable, but I think black shoes would go better, little patent leather ones as long as they aren't stupidly expensive (they grow so fast!). As JGS says our little man has a wee tux and tartan waistcoat for September. We hope he will make more meals next year, but we eat late and he eats at about 5:30-ish.

There is a childrens tea at 5pm in the Kings Court, they set aside a small area and have a special menu and balloons and it is wonderful! The nursery offers babysitting in a dark room with cots or a sleepover style. I cannot talk highly enough of the nursery, in fact all the staff were utterly fab on the QM2. I'm sure the QE2 will be just as good for us.

Black shoes it is then (I am no fashionista, especially when it comes to clothing for males)! We figure we might get the little man to a meal, but most nights he'll be in the nursery by our late dinner time. So our plan is to get him set up with food, then put him to sleep in his reclining stroller, then wheel him down to the nursery so he can rest while we eat. Although, we'll be flying to the east coast from the west coast, so presumably his sleep schedule will be 3 hours off and he'll feel like it's still early when it's late? Either way, the main thing is to get the picture taken with him in an adorable outfit. If he actually sat politely through a nice dinner on top of being in the adorable outfit, that would be way above and beyond our wildest hopes!

On our recent MDay cruise there was a family with two small children. The mom certainly put much thought into thier wardrobe's... The little boy each evening was in a minature suit of his dad's, the little girl in colors to match the mom..... Each evening they would have pictures done and I cant tell you how much I enjoyed watching this family..... from a distance,of course... It was priceless and brought back great memories of when my grown boys were young....

My favorite was the night they put up the white background and they did fun shots.... You are absolutley on the right track and I just know you will have a wonderful cruise with your family, not to mention the joy you bring to us with kiddie's who are all grown up now!

Beth,

That depends.

Are those bowties self tied? You will have to work hard to teach him how to tie them before the cruise! You know how Matthew feels about those clip around bow ties! <LOL>

He will be the Beau of the Ball!

Karie

Beth are you giving yourselves a couple of nights prior to boarding? I would really advise it. We flew in from the UK and could have done with at least two full, undisrupted days of rest, rather than the mess we ended up with. Stuck in Chicago, then only one night in NYC! yuck!

I think your son will look adorable. I would go with the black patent shoes personally, but white would be fine also. I do hope you are able to post a picture on here when you return, as I'd love to see the little man all dressed up.

Lexxity, yes we're planning to fly in a little early. I know embarkation is going to be a zoo (we'll be the first embarkation in FLL that season), and I don't want to add "exhausted child" to our list of woes that day!

DH took one look at the Eton suit and said, "If he wears that, the other kids will beat him up." :D But he did admit it was totally adorable! We may also try to find a tiny kilt for the little guy (although he won't go true Scots, that would be really disgusting with an un-potty-trained boy!) so he matches his dad.

DH took one look at the Eton suit and said, "If he wears that, the other kids will beat him up." :D But he did admit it was totally adorable! We may also try to find a tiny kilt for the little guy (although he won't go true Scots, that would be really disgusting with an un-potty-trained boy!) so he matches his dad.

Beth,

His Dad is unpotty trained?:eek:

Oh, you meant the other part matching!

Tell DH no one will beat him up as he will be around similarly socially classed people! if there were others his age, they would probably be attired similarly!

Now if he showed up with a pocket protector and adhesive tape on the glasses!....

Karie,

who is a geek and proud of it!

Beth,

His Dad is unpotty trained?:eek:

Oh, you meant the other part matching!

Tell DH no one will beat him up as he will be around similarly socially classed people! if there were others his age, they would probably be attired similarly!

Now if he showed up with a pocket protector and adhesive tape on the glasses!....

Karie,

who is a geek and proud of it!

I suppose wearing a kilt would be the best thing for an unpotty-trained man, no pants to to wet...:eek:

I come from a long line of geeks, and so does DH. Our poor son is doomed...but I'll do my best to never let him have tape on his glasses or a pocket protector, even I think that's going a bit too far! :D

We just bought DS a tux that will fit him! It comes complete with a red bow tie, so I will have to buy his Dad one too! (red bow tie, not tuxedo:D )

You'll have to post some pictures, that sounds adorable! :)

Ok so now he has two, I bought him a tux, ages and ages ago (from a charity shop of all places, they had been given it that morning and said it was mine for £5, so it was too much of a bargain to leave) so I took it out to measure it against the and new one. It's actually smaller, so will only fit him this September, possibly (just) in January too. So now he has two, the one from the charity shop is actually tails so he will look extra cute! Pictures will be posted.:D

Ok so now he has two, I bought him a tux, ages and ages ago (from a charity shop of all places, they had been given it that morning and said it was mine for £5, so it was too much of a bargain to leave) so I took it out to measure it against the and new one. It's actually smaller, so will only fit him this September, possibly (just) in January too. So now he has two, the one from the charity shop is actually tails so he will look extra cute! Pictures will be posted.:D

I'm excited, I'll get to see how cute he is in person!:D

Betsy

Here is my one year old son on formal night in a traditional tux. Anything you dress them "up" in will be fine. Everyone makes such a fuss over them and my son loves the attention so it was a win win for us! Have a great time and share photos when you get back.

My son in his first gig at sea http://family.webshots.com/photo/2903799600057630489dhBePd?vhost=family

Daddy and son on deck http://family.webshots.com/photo/2443334280057630489PNfzzU?vhost=family

That's a lot of trombone for such a little guy!

Does he play jazz, clasical or other? <G>

Cute pic! (Looks windy on deck!)

Karie,

no son to look cute

My son just LOVES all types of music. He was standing there and the ships trombone player took him over for a picture never thinking my son wanted to PLAY the trombone!

Yes, it was VERY windy on deck and my DH had to hold him tight for a quick photo.

Can't wait for our first voyage on QM2 in December!

Such a cutie pie! Now I'm wondering if we should go with a little tux instead of the Eton suit...feel silly buying both considering he'll wear them exactly once before he outgrows them.

Thanks for compliments. I think an Eton suit is adorable! I wanted to get my son one since he already had a tux but couldn't find one in his size when I needed it. He outgrew his tux from last year but at least the vest and bow tie still fit!! My nephew's tux from last year will be perfect for our QM2 voyage in December. He has 2 suits as well with several different zip ties. If you don't have any zip ties yet they are THE BEST thing for the little ones since they go on just like a regular tie but they can't pull them off. My DH wants to know how come they don't make zip ties for men since the knot is always perfect. I just need to purchase nice black dress shoes since he outgrows his shoes so quickly!!

Archived