Bringing Rum Home

ginny726

I'd like to get some rum while we're on our cruise (RCCL AOS - 7/1 - Southern Caribbean). How do most people bring it home? Are there boxes that can be bought that will pack it so that it can be checked as luggage on the flight home or do you pack it really good in ziplock bags and stick it in luggage.

We're used to bringing wine home on vacations (have special shipping boxes for that - we've never lost a bottle during flights) but have never been to the Caribbean before so we're at a loss as to the best way to bring rum, etc. home.

Before you do anything---go to Wal-Mart and buy some rolls of bubblewrap and packing tape(get the good stuff). This is what we did-wrap all the bottles and then pack them in between the dirty laundry,this is a a good buffer. Our flight was from San Juan to Chicago. When we arrived home all was safe-nothing was broken :D .

Have a safe trip !!!

p.s.if you need a scissors-go to the service desk and they will let you use theirs

The last night, I pack wine or liquor in my carry-on luggage. It stays right with me:D until I get home:D

Not any more it won't - unless you live close enough to the port to drive home. For the rest of us, we can't do that. Remember, no booze (or any liquid for that matter) is allowed in hand luggage anymore, so if you try to take it on board, you will just be contributing to the party that the security guys must have at the airport every weekend, because they'll be taking it off you! :(

Last year we bought rum on the ship and then carried it off the ship in our bags until we got to my parents house, then had to roll it in dirty clothes and pack it in the middle of everything to fly back to Pittsburgh, no bottles were broken when we got home. Did not think to take any packing materials with us because we did not planon purchasing it was a last minute thing. Hope this helps and your are able to get it home in good shape. Have a great trip.

We brought 2 bottles of rum home in our checked bags. Boxed, wrapped, and cushioned in dirty clothes.

When the luggage hit the carousel at home we could practically see the rum fumes wafting of the bag. :( Both bottles shattered. No rum for us. :(

How many bottles can you pack in your luggage?

As many bottles as you can without breaking them. If you go over your limit you just declare it and pay the import fee. I was told it is around 80 cents per bottle. They usually don't make you pay it because it is a lot of trouble. This is all advice given to me before. I want to bring at least 5 from St. Thomas. I hope they all make it. I have to fly so the guys in baggage may be too hard on them.

Linda

Not any more it won't - unless you live close enough to the port to drive home. For the rest of us, we can't do that. Remember, no booze (or any liquid for that matter) is allowed in hand luggage anymore, so if you try to take it on board, you will just be contributing to the party that the security guys must have at the airport every weekend, because they'll be taking it off you! :(

Forgot about this. Havent cruised since the liquid ban:(.

• 3 weeks later...

Every time we cruise, I always bring back alcohol, particularly stuff that's native to our port stops. Last time though, I definitely wasn't paying attention to how many bottles I was buying - ended up going over our limit, and had our neighbors, who were cruising with us, bring some back as well. Everything just packed in our clothes in the suitcases - nothing broken yet, 4 cruises so far. Didn't really realize exactly how much I was accumulating until we recently packed up and moved into a new house. Either I bought too much, or we don't drink it often enough (and none at all for me for now). ;)

• 1 month later...

We just got back from a cruise on 8-12 on AOS and we wanted to get alcohol but husband didn't want to deal with packing it so we didn't get any. We went to airport in San Juan and after clearing all the checkpoints and waiting for the plane, my husband found a store that sold liquor and you could buy as much as you wanted and carry it on the plane. We bought 2 bottles but we are going on another cruise in May and will definitely be getting more. This is the best way to go since you can carry it on and don't have to worry about it in your suitcases. They even put it in boxes for you and tape it up. And the prices were the same as on ship and in most ports.

We just got back from a cruise on 8-12 on AOS and we wanted to get alcohol but husband didn't want to deal with packing it so we didn't get any. We went to airport in San Juan and after clearing all the checkpoints and waiting for the plane, my husband found a store that sold liquor and you could buy as much as you wanted and carry it on the plane. We bought 2 bottles but we are going on another cruise in May and will definitely be getting more. This is the best way to go since you can carry it on and don't have to worry about it in your suitcases. They even put it in boxes for you and tape it up. And the prices were the same as on ship and in most ports.

I wish it worked that way if you sail in and then fly out of Florida.

Linda

As many bottles as you can without breaking them. If you go over your limit you just declare it and pay the import fee. I was told it is around 80 cents per bottle.

Does this sound correct? Anybody have a link to an official site with the cost per bottle to import over the "limit"....

I could say bring 10 bottles back with me, since its only a 2 hour drive to port... how much duty would I have to pay on each bottle?

If it's only 80 cents, no sweat...

10$ per bottle however, would make it not worth it.

If I were bring home any glass bottled liquor I would wrap it in the Bubble Wrap first and then wrap a big towel around that and put it all into one of those HUGE ZIP LOCK BAGS. Those bags can hold a huge pillow in them. I found those bags at my grocery store where they sell all the other food bags. Or I know places like Lowes & Home Depot have them too.

I'm sure most of you people who travel quite a bit have seen how the airlines MAN-HANDLE your luggage. Heck it would be better to pay to have your bottles packed in the styro-foam inserts and cardboard boxes they have when you have WINE shipped home from the Winery's!

Some of you might think about buying or bringing an extra suitcase with you since you're going to be buying enough to open up a NEW LOUNGE at home!! :D Good luck.

I still have one of those old Samsonite pieces of HARD Shell luggage. Guess that would be good to use since it wouldn't get smashed in like the Soft Sided stuff most of use now a days does. It's Salmon Colored and easy to spot on the luggage carousal too. Good thing I kept it and didn't throw it out.

since you are driving I would bring back as much as you can handle. Over limit charge is very little- about $1 a bottle and I've brought back 28 bottles last year, some from St. Thomas and the rest from St. Martin, St. Lucia and other ports. I declared all of it and paid nothing. This year w/o a stop in STT, I brought back 13 bottles and paid $20 for overage incl. over limit on jewelry. Always declare and let the customs people decide what to charge. If you buy in the USVI your allowance is greater. They don't really care if you buy 750's of ltrs. Just be sure 1 each person is a USVI rum.

since you are driving I would bring back as much as you can handle. Over limit charge is very little- about $1 a bottle and I've brought back 28 bottles last year, some from St. Thomas and the rest from St. Martin, St. Lucia and other ports. I declared all of it and paid nothing. This year w/o a stop in STT, I brought back 13 bottles and paid $20 for overage incl. over limit on jewelry. Always declare and let the customs people decide what to charge. If you buy in the USVI your allowance is greater. They don't really care if you buy 750's of ltrs. Just be sure 1 each person is a USVI rum.

I want to buy a lot of rum too. I am going to make rum cakes for Christmas presents. I have a great recipe I got off the net. If you want the recipe go to:

http://baking.about.com/cs/cakes/a/bacardirum.htm

I left off the nuts and added flavored rum (coconut, etc,) It is so good, I will never buy another rum cake in port.

I am bringing rumrunner bags (32 oz) and I am leaving them approximately 75 % full and removing air for the plane trip. I will test this by filling them with water for the trip to Miami. I will also put it in a large plastic ziploc just in case. The rumrunner bags are so much lighter than the bottles that I want to use them. My bag can't be over 50 lbs because I am flying. (Wish I lived in Florida).

Linda

Can I even ASK just what is a RUM-RUNNER BAG??:confused: I would hate to have my suitcase anywhere near yours if they exploded or leaked. YIKES........wonder if they could "FINE" you if that happens??

Rumrunners are plastic pouches with twist on lids that hold liquids. I have been told the secret to keeping them sealed is to make sure all air is out for the plane ride, that is why I am doing a water test on the way there. If it works, I can bring back more liquor with less weight. It will have a large ziploc bag containing it just in case. No worries about yours.

Linda

If you are buying Bacardi you will probably only save a buck or 2 from stateside prices and it's not worth carrying it home. Secondly you don't need to unbottle the liquor to take it off the ship. Just wrap your dirty clothes around it.I would hate to offer my friends drinks from a bag that looks like it was used for a colostomy.

If you are buying Bacardi you will probably only save a buck or 2 from stateside prices and it's not worth carrying it home. Secondly you don't need to unbottle the liquor to take it off the ship. Just wrap your dirty clothes around it.I would hate to offer my friends drinks from a bag that looks like it was used for a colostomy.

You are funny. You missed my point about the weight of the bottle. We are saving our bottles here to refill. I may find it too much trouble but only if it won't put me over 50 lbs. It was worth us getting rum in Jamaica. It wasn't a buck or two. Maybe because I am in VA and taxes stink. Thanks for trying to help.

Linda

Archived