yet another passport question

di43

My husband applied for his passport on April 6 and had to turn over his naturalization papers. As of today still no passport. My question is will Carnival let him board with only the print out of his application status from travel.state.gov? Hopefully he will get it before our July 15 cruise, but what would happen if he does not get it?

My husband applied for his passport on April 6 and had to turn over his naturalization papers. As of today still no passport. My question is will Carnival let him board with only the print out of his application status from travel.state.gov? Hopefully he will get it before our July 15 cruise, but what would happen if he does not get it?

Copies of naturalization papers can be applied for here. If scroll down about half way you'll find the instructions. I have no idea what their turn around time is.

The chances of having it before your cruise are looking slim... Even the passport site says 10-12 weeks, and now it is averaging 14-16 weeks, so you are pushing it... you may get it, but I wouldn't count on it. You need to get copies of his naturalization papers... immediately. And find out how to get them expedited... I would do this TOMORROW. Good luck.

The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced Friday, June 8th that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region, who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air. This accommodation does not mean that Americans are exempt from meeting the entry requirements of Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region. Entry requirements for those countries remain in effect. Americans traveling to those countries must verify the specific entry requirements for that country before departure. To access entry requirements for all countries, see our Consular Information Sheets.

Entry requirements for countries are self-determined. We are reaching out to the governments of countries affected by WHTI to consult with them about our announcement. We hope they also will be able to take a flexible approach. We will communicate the results of our consultations with the airlines to facilitate boarding.

I know bermuda does NOT accept the copy of application for passport so be sure the country you are going INTO allows it. The US can say anything want about RE-entering this country but they have no say on what another country allows. Many people are getting snagged in this one.

Good luck

I called Carnival today and a supervisor said that as long as he has the application print out and a picture id that he should be fine. If we miss the ship then we're in trouble!

I called Carnival today and a supervisor said that as long as he has the application print out and a picture id that he should be fine. If we miss the ship then we're in trouble!

Hey, if you want to go by what someone tells you on the phone, by all means... go for it. I'm just telling you people have been royally screwed by listening to this before. I'm assuming since you are putting your trip in this persons hands, that you at least got this in writing, signed by Carnival? And he said SHOULD be fine? Hey, good luck.

I would apply for a another copy of his naturalization papers just to be on the safe side, its true that the info you can get from one of those phone call could be the wrong info, they tell you what you want to hear sometimes to get you off the phone.

Fred

See, this is bothering me....

The info posted above, and the info about having a "copy of your application" showing you applied for a passport, ONLY APPLIES TO THOSE FLYING INTO CANADA/MEXICO... People just don't seem to grasp that. NOTHING has changed as far as what you need to board a cruise ship... NOTHING!!!! The waiver is STRICTLY for the rule that went into effect this past January... Why would anyone think they could get by with a copy of a passport application? Passports aren't even required right now.

Right now, you HAVE to have SOMETHING to board the ship!!!

Alternatively, until otherwise required as noted above, U.S. citizens must present proof of citizenship in the form of a passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years), original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements.

U.S. citizens must present proof of citizenship in the form of a passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years), original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers.

Carnival strongly recommends its guests travel with a passport since it will greatly expedite clearance by the Department of Homeland Security.

Important Note for sailings effective 6/1/09:

CRUISE TRAVEL

The U.S. Government will require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details.

This requirement will become effective no later than June 1, 2009. Please be aware that this effective date may be moved to an earlier date pending the U.S. Government’s implementation of new identification cards (PASScards) that will provide a less expensive alternative form of documentation.

AIR TRAVEL

Effective January 8, 2007, passports will be required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda.

This is an important new requirement for our cruise guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises. In addition, this new requirement will also impact our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports.

For more information or to get a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov. Or, contact Passport Services at www.passportservices.com/carnival for step-by-step instructions and application assistance.

All guests must present the required documentation at embarkation. Guests without the required documentation will be denied boarding and no refund will be issued. Please understand that Carnival will strictly enforce this requirement to be in compliance with this important U.S. Government mandate.

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements.

U.S. citizens must present proof of citizenship in the form of a passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years), original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers. Carnival strongly recommends its guests travel with a passport since it will greatly expedite clearance by the Department of Homeland Security.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian Citizens must present a valid passport, original birth certificate, or certified copy of a birth certificate. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable. Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation.

Non-U.S. citizens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must still have a valid, unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier — e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

For sailings to/from Europe, U.S. citizens must have a valid passport. Alien Residents and all other non-U.S. citizens are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Certain foreign nationals will be required to obtain a Schengen Visa and/or Croatian Visa.

For sailings to Canadian ports of call, certain foreign nationals must obtain a Canadian visa in addition to the U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Non-U.S. citizens must contact the appropriate consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation.

For sailings to Bermuda, U.S. Alien Residents must present their valid Alien Resident Card in addition to their passport or birth certificate from country of origin. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection.

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo IDs.

So my plan was to purchase a passport each month for a family member. There are 4 of us and that would take about 4 months to do. We sail 3/08 and as of now, a pp is not required. According to my understanding of what I read above, it could be required if the less expensive passcards become available. What time frame will they decide? Can they require pp with only a month or so warning? I am one of those that doesnt mind getting them but to fork all that $$ up front is tough, especially when $400 would buy some nice excursions. We dont usually travel out of the country. Is my plan a safe one? I have 8 months before cruising.:rolleyes:

So my plan was to purchase a passport each month for a family member. There are 4 of us and that would take about 4 months to do. We sail 3/08 and as of now, a pp is not required. According to my understanding of what I read above, it could be required if the less expensive passcards become available. What time frame will they decide? Can they require pp with only a month or so warning?

When the State Dept makes a change, it becomes fully effective on the announced date. They can announce that effective tomorrow, all cruise passengers in the Caribbean will be required to have PP to reenter the country. There are no "grace periods" for State Dept rules and the rules are final. Although they are sympathetic, they do not change their minds or bend the rules for anyone that has an upcoming vacation scheduled. You are responsible for being prepared. That is why the warnings are out there that this may be permanent and as early as 1 January 2008. If you don't take the warning now and get the PP, then you run the risk of having your vacation stopped before it begins.

Why are you gambling with thousands of dollars of vacation money already spent? Is one or two extra shopping tours or shore excursions worth risking losing your entire vacation? Get the PP. And remember, it is good for 10 years. If you prorate the cost over the vacations that you will use it on in the next 10 years, it won't seem that bad.

I got mine before my first cruise and used it on every cruise. On the Alaska cruise, we actually went over the border into Canada on the White Foal Pass train and went kayaking on Lake Foster in Canada. We were required to show proof of US citizenship to pass the border coming back. Since I am not a Caucasian American, I was especially wary as I have heard of a lot of difficulties for non-Caucasians crossing back into the US. Fortunately, we were on a bus of about 25 people and they didn't take the time to stop us, just looked over all the PP and let us go.

Due to the back up of applications, Passports have been extended to June of 09 for those traveling by ship.

You can go on line and get the phone number to the Pass port office, and get the phone number and call them and tell them that your sail date is less than 3 weeks and you need your PPT.

But call early in the morning. If you call much after 8 am, you will get put on hold and cut off after about 2 minutes.

We got ours within the 12 week period though. We applied on March 5 and received the week of May 21.

You may get them yet, but call and ask them about it.

good luck.

Due to the back up of applications, Passports have been extended to June of 09 for those traveling by ship.

You can go on line and get the phone number to the Pass port office, and get the phone number and call them and tell them that your sail date is less than 3 weeks and you need your PPT.

But call early in the morning. If you call much after 8 am, you will get put on hold and cut off after about 2 minutes.

We got ours within the 12 week period though. We applied on March 5 and received the week of May 21.

You may get them yet, but call and ask them about it.

good luck.

It will be NO LATER than June 2009... the date can be moved up pending the Passcard implementation... so no, waiting is not smart.

The U.S. Government will require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details.

This requirement will become effective no later than June 1, 2009. Please be aware that this effective date may be moved to an earlier date pending the U.S. Government’s implementation of new identification cards (PASScards) that will provide a less expensive alternative form of documentation.

But I never said anything about waiting to apply. I was just saying that the date had been expanded. If she has already applied, she may get them in the next few days. especially since she applied 1 month after we did. Ours has been here since the week of May 21. So there is still hope.

As for doing one family member a month, I would not trust it. Since you have to send off your Birth Certificate along with it, I would do them all at once so I did not take the chance on having to order another birth certificate in case it did not come back.

If you wait too long, you will end up paying the expidted cost for the PPT's and then you will pay more. Our PPT's were about 299$ for the 3 of us after court cost and PPT cost. Of course that all depends on how much your local court house charges for court cost.

But I never said anything about waiting to apply. I was just saying that the date had been expanded. If she has already applied, she may get them in the next few days. especially since she applied 1 month after we did. Ours has been here since the week of May 21. So there is still hope.

I wasn't implying that you did ;) You said the date had been extended...but that isn't true. It will be ANYTIME between January 2008 and June 2009... depending on the PASScard implementation... the date hasn't extended... they stated this well over a year ago.

Archived