Monarch of the Seas dress code

JPerry

I was reading on RCCL website about the dress code for dinner. It says that shorts and t shirts are not permited for dinner time. How strict are they on this. I know for the formal night you should dress up, but on the other nights do you have to wear pants and a collard shirt? Just wondering if they really enforce this?

This particular ship and itinerary is quite casual, but you will still be expected to wear long pants to dinner. A collared shirt looks a lot better than a T-shirt and you are going out to dinner every night in a nice restaurant. I don't know if anyone will beat you up about it, but they may stop you at the door and ask you to change into more appropriate clothing.

Formal night, don't worry so much about a suit or a tux. You'll see a few but many men don't bother with a jacket. While I don't necessarily agree that no jacket is still dressy, if you are looking to cut back on packing, this is where you could get away with less.

My husband takes along one pair of casual slacks and 2 or 3 shirts for casual nights. Many times we change after dinner and go up on deck to walk laps.

If you really don't care to wear long pants, you can always eat at the buffet, or order room service. Unless you have a SO or larger, room service isn't all that adviseable, these cabins are tiny, tiny, tiny!

Finally, when and if the dining room is open for breakfast or lunch, you can wear shorts in the dining room for those meals.

I've done three cruises on the Monarch, and they will enforce the shorts and tshirt rule. The maitre'd and some of the head waiters stand at the door, and they will say something to you if you wear shorts to the dining room. It's not all that tough to put on a pair of dockers or khaki slacks and a collared shirt. While it is termed casual, it's not like going to McDonald's for dinner where shorts are not a problem.

I've been on the Monarch before too. It IS a fairly laid-back itinerary, but I didn't see people in shorts or t-shirts for dinner. Dress slacks and a shirt would be a lot more appropriate, I think. Also, for formal nights it was rare that I saw a tux or a ball gown--but definitely more dressy than the other nights. They take pictures during formal night so it's nice to be a little more dressed up.

Archived