Rome Hotel - HELP

Going to be in Rome 11/19-11/21. Looking for a hotel in a safe area. Arrive at Rome airport at 8am. After i check in to my hotel I plan to do the hop on bus that day to see the general layout of Rome and then stop at the colissium and the forum. The next day will be the Vatican. I would like to find a smoker friendly hotel that offers twin beds and a decent breakfast for arround $150 US, or am i dreaming. Prefer a non hilly area (bad knee) flat ground is no problem for me. Any advice and hints that you offer would be greatly appreciated.

Going to be in Rome 11/19-11/21. Looking for a hotel in a safe area. Arrive at Rome airport at 8am. After i check in to my hotel I plan to do the hop on bus that day to see the general layout of Rome and then stop at the colissium and the forum. The next day will be the Vatican. I would like to find a smoker friendly hotel that offers twin beds and a decent breakfast for arround $150 US, or am i dreaming. Prefer a non hilly area (bad knee) flat ground is no problem for me. Any advice and hints that you offer would be greatly appreciated.

could not resist your handle you must drive as I do.

If you want something simple, clean, and workable consider the hotel julia

Think Quality Inn, etc. here. price is fair, service is reasonable etc.

singles are about 80e doubles slightly higher.

Fairly good location in walking distance of station for bus\trains etc. Metro close by.

Most hotels in Rome these days do not allow smoking inside.

http://www.hoteljulia.it/

harnesshorseman,

Good luck! You seem to have pretty much the same basic requirements I have. If they have twin beds, they don't allow smoking. If they have an elevator they want $300. I've searched and searched without much success and of course because I'm not going until next year, can't really even get quotes. I've been using October of this year just to get an idea.

I've narrowed it down to Gea di Vulcano (they appear to have smoking rooms and twins), Welcome Residence, or Hotel Lirico. They are in town close to Termini Stazione and are under the $200 mark. I also have a 3rd hotel out of town about 3 km from the Vatican, Atahotel Villa Pamphili Hotel at $208. While it is out of town, they provide a courtesy shuttle to and from the airport, and to and from the Vatican. If I'm unable to find anything in downtown Rome that is reasonable, with twin beds, and smoking, I'll head out of town and use their shuttle service. I plan to buy the HoHo bus and the ticket is good for 24 hours.

Now I haven't stayed at any of these hotels, but they do have pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor, other than most people do say the Atahotel is a ways out of town, which they should have known before booking.

You may have better luck on the pricing as November is after the "high season", while my October trip will be considered "high season". I thought Sept would end the "high season", but not according to all the hotel rates. If you use Expedia.com or Venere.com they have all of these hotels. Good luck and have a great trip!

You have to remember to check out the low and high season rates. A lot of the hotels that have lower rates right now aren't lower in October. They are higher. May, June, July and August are very very very hot months, and I think that's why the rates are lower now than Sept and Oct.

Hi there

have a look on bookings.com and venere.com

you can search lowest to highest and both provide maps

both only take cc details for guarantee then you pay on checkout. I've read on the boards that some hotels seem to offer a lower rate on check-out if you settle with cash although I have no idea if this is common and we have no experience ourselves.

suppose we'll find out in November when we check-out of Welcome Residences (EUR149) in Rome and Hotel Lisbona (EUR180) in Venice in October before our Rotterdam cruise to Rio:)

:) hotel alimandi vaticano and hotel alimandi both family owned and both hve free shuttle and buffet breakfast and both are across from the entrance to the vatican museum ..we loved it and the rooms were big and clean. are you on the star princess by any chance? see you on the roll call if you are .

you can search lowest to highest and both provide maps both only take cc details for guarantee then you pay on checkout. I've read on the boards that some hotels seem to offer a lower rate on check-out if you settle with cash although I have no idea if this is common and we have no experience ourselves.

Good ideas but be sure you double check with the hotel as well once you book. Also it is the norm to book with cc but pay cash on arrival.

"Atahotel Villa Pamphili Hotel at $208. While it is out of town, they provide a courtesy shuttle to and from the airport" snip

Be sure you ask them how far they are from bus into town some of these places are way off any bus routes into the main part of city air port pick up is great but if you have to walk 2 miles to get a bus thats not so good.

you can search lowest to highest and both provide maps both only take cc details for guarantee then you pay on checkout. I've read on the boards that some hotels seem to offer a lower rate on check-out if you settle with cash although I have no idea if this is common and we have no experience ourselves.

Good ideas but be sure you double check with the hotel as well once you book. Also it is the norm to book with cc but pay cash on arrival.

"Atahotel Villa Pamphili Hotel at $208. While it is out of town, they provide a courtesy shuttle to and from the airport" snip

Be sure you ask them how far they are from bus into town some of these places are way off any bus routes into the main part of city air port pick up is great but if you have to walk 2 miles to get a bus thats not so good.

Thanks for the word of warning nco4242

I might be worried about that, but they have a courtesy shuttle that will take us to the Vatican. We can either catch the train into Termini or there is supposed to be a Hop on/Hop off bus that stops at the Vatican. I plan to board the HoHo bus and ride it around to the different sites in Rome, rather than walk, as my friend is 78 with asthma and I'm 60, so neither of us do the walking thing really well.

But I really can't bring myself to pay close to $300 for a hotel in the center of Rome then have to still pay for transfers on top of that. Then looking at these 2 and 3 star hotels the rooms look like closets, if they even have twin beds. The rooms look pretty normal size in the photos from Atahotel website and we won't have to worry about walking the streets of Rome at night. There is a restaurant right at the hotel, and it is just for two nights so my friend can see a little of Rome. I've been before, so I 'm not that worried about sightseeing for myself. If it were just me, I'd only stay one night pre-cruise and probably stay at Civitavecchia. But that isn't conducive for sightseeing in Rome.

I do appreciate your concern though! Thanks again.

delores,

Yes, I also looked at Jolly Hotel Midas. For some reason, the Atahotel Villa Pamphili just sounded and looked a little better to me. I liked the looks of the two bedded rooms. The info says two twin beds, but they look like double beds in the photos with sliding glass doors to a balcony or patio. Guess that's why there are so many hotels, so we can each pick what we like best and what fits our budgets best.

I really liked the looks of The Bled Hotel in the Termini area, it looks sort of like a Villa. But the reviews were so bad, I decided against that one. And it's difficult to find if they have twins on Venere. It says double, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have twins. So I've been checking Expedia.com to see if they have twins, then looking on Venere.com, otels.com, Priceline.com, hotelclub.com and booking.com to see which one has the best pricing. Then I also want an elevator. And I smoke, so can't stay at a smoke-free hotel. We have lots of criteria, not just the cost. If I really loved the looks, the hotel, the location and it met all the other criteria, I still wouldn't pay $300 a night, but that's just me. Goodness, I about had a heart attack when I saw some of the prices at $750 per night. I just want a place to sleep and shower, I don't want to buy the place.

But to me $209, which is what it is for Oct '07, with the free shuttle to/from the airport and a free shuttle to/from the Vatican is doable. Sounds like you did a little better pricewise at the Jolly. Have a great trip!

Eleanor

You'll be hard pressed to find anything more than a very basic accommodation WITHIN the central Rome area at that price range (even in the major US cities this would be true), but it can be done. If you do find something it would most likely be in the Termini area, which is not a bad location if you pick carefully, especially since it puts you close to most of the transportation options.

I suggest you go to venere.com (or other sites that allow you to search by area) and look for hotels in the Termini area in your price range. Be sure to put your dates in, as prices should definitely be a bit lower in November. Then write down any that seem promising and go to tripadvisor to read their reviews. This should give you the best idea. Some areas around Termini are a bit dodgy (to put it politely)!

With your limited time, I'd really try to find something in the city rather than too far out. Being in Rome in the evening, even if you just sit at an open-air table to enjoy a coffee or walk down the street to get a gelato, is a wonderful experience. I'm not sure whether you'd truly get that in a suburb!

Regarding walking: remember, Rome is built on seven hills! Most streets go up and down; however, the major streets are not that steep.

Try Romeby.com for advice. we recently stayed at the Il Covo B& B and could not have been happier, both with the experience and the price. No shuttles but cab fair from venizia sqquare 2 blocks away was les than 6E for 4. The collisiim was in site.

cruisemom42

Oh I know Rome was built on the 7 hills. I've been to Rome with my husband in '98, and they didn't have hop on/hop off buses or even many tour guides for hire at all. When we asked at the visitor centers, we were told if we didn't book the tours with tour companies before leaving home, there was nothing available locally, so we did a lot of walking the day we were there. The same goes for Naples, Venice, Palermo and the Lake District. We spent a month driving through Italy, so saw lots and walked lots, believe me. And in the South (Palermo, Naples and Rome) it was hot and humid (just absolutely miserable). You couldn't even enjoy what you were looking at, you were more interested in getting back into the air conditioned car.

That's why this time I'm going in October to try and miss some of the heat, but will be doing the HoHo bus and try to keep the walking to a minimum.

I've been to venere.com, expedia.com, booking.com, hotelclub.com, priceline.com, and lots more Italian sites for accommodation as well as TripAdvisor to see what the reviews are. And you're right. In the center of Rome the rates are all high, even for a 1 and 2 star hotel. That's why I opted for out of the downtown area. And you are right, I just paid $200 per night in New York City last year when we did the New England/Canada cruise, but that's the top that I'm willing to pay. If I can't find something for that, I just won't go. I'll quit traveling.

We are two ladies travelling together with no companions, so don't think we will be wandering the streets after dark anyway. Our big problem is going to be finding a restaurant open early enough when we want to eat dinner. We may be buying stuff at lunch time and saving it for an early dinner. We don't eat at 9:00 or 10:00 the way they did in '98. My husband and I finally started shopping at a grocery store and eating our big meal at lunch at a restaurant and just sandwiches for dinner. It worked better that way for us. Lots of differences, but then that's what I travel for is to see those differences and experience different areas and see the historical roots of Europe. Just wish the prices hadn't gone so out of sight.

[

"I really loved the looks, the hotel, the location and it met all the other criteria, " snip

Forget the looks - you don't sleep or shower outside - check out the rooms some of the best looking buildings outside are horrid inside. Check the room itself, the location and if the price suits go for it. Remember many of the lovely buildings in Rome are hundreds of years old and the insides have not been very well maintained over those years.

[

"I really loved the looks, the hotel, the location and it met all the other criteria, " snip

Forget the looks - you don't sleep or shower outside - check out the rooms some of the best looking buildings outside are horrid inside. Check the room itself, the location and if the price suits go for it. Remember many of the lovely buildings in Rome are hundreds of years old and the insides have not been very well maintained over those years.

Exactly, that's why I'm leaning toward the Atahotel Villa Pamphili or the Jolly. Although they are not in the center of Rome, the rooms look a good size and the price is right as well as all the other amenities. I know hotel rooms in Europe aren't usually as large as here in the States, but I want something (need something) bigger than a closet. My friend and I each have a 29" suitcase (the largest the airlines allow) and will probably have a smaller bag each and then the carry-ons and our purses. So thats 6 suitcases. I don't do laundry while on vacation, and for 16 days, plus the formal nights on the cruise, I'm sure we will take that amount of luggage. We did for our 14 days doing the New England/Canada coast, and wore everything except one outfit.

One never knows, but hopefully the shuttle service works out. I'm planning on taking the hotel shuttle to the Vatican, then the HoHo bus or the train back into Rome. But if we absolutely have to, there are always taxis.

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked into the Jolly Hotel Vittorio Veneto for several nights in August and will post info and pics when we return. We stayed at this hotel in the mid-nineties and loved the local (borders on Villa Borghese), near Spanish Steps, etc. The hotel was clean and neat and much better than the hotel we were orginally booked into for the week. A buffet breakfast is included in the price.

At that time we walked everywhere from there and only took taxis to and from airport. Granted we are a bit older now so we are interested to find out if we still walk everywhere.

If there is anything specific you would like me to check out in August I would be glad to do so.

Kathy:)

thank you all for your help. haven't booked yet but leaning towards hotel julia $200 per night and allows smoking. any reviews of recent travelers to different hotels would be very helpful.

Be sure to send Hotel Julia an email asking if they allow smoking, someone else has posted on this board that they stayed there, and it was now smoke free. I had looked at them also.

• 2 weeks later...

The hotel is close to the Termini station maybe three blocks at most . stayed there in October. Felt very safe ! Rooms were big with first class large baths, great breakfast ! Walking distance to subway, buses and many sights ! Price in october was about 100 euros.

they have a great web site ! google hotel morgana rome !

Archived