Just off Liberty Cruise on 6/17--Bad Experience with Mario

chiledog

I can say from my experience that Mario knows very well about Cruise Critic, and I really do think he'd want to know about OP's experience. I learned about Mario through the Panama Canal board on the "Ports of Call" section. When we originally booked our tour (family of five), about one month out Mario e-mailed me to advise that we were the only people who had booked and he wanted to move us to another tour. We got talking about it on our CC roll call, and before you knew it we had about 40 people who wanted to book the tour. With that kind of response, he was happy to offer the original tour (and mentioned CC to me in his e-mail). Maybe Mario has already seen this thread, but OP, I'd e-mail him anyway - since he can't possibly go on all of the tours, he can only find out if someone contacts him directly.

As I said before, we had a great tour with great guides and I'd happily book it again, but I would make sure the schedule allowed for lots of time on the return - at least two hours before sailing.

Like one of the other posters mentioned, it would have been *hilarious* (in that gotcha kinda way, for lack of a better word) if you would've said something in Spanish to the guide at the end of the tour. Even if it wasn't anything about being offended or just something related to the tour would've wised her up to knowing that you knew a lot of what she was trying to sneak by the group. It would've been so worth it just to see the look on her face.

We also had a tour last week with Mario in Panama. When I was booknig the tour I was concerned about it's length- but they said we would be back to port by 2:30- the last time to be on ship was 3:30. We were scheduled for the same tour as the previous writer- but we were not in the same bus. At first we arrived at the bus in a timely manner- but waited more than 30 minutes at the port for another guest who never did arrive. Then we proceeded to the canoe trip- which was very pleasant- but much longer than stated in the information- I didn't mind this till I realized it would later impact part of our excursion. Rey was our guide and excellent. The Indian Village, trek thru the rainforest to the waterfall- all great. But what we wanted to see most was the locks at the Panama Canal. We were now driving to this area- seems like we were driving quite awhile- (it was about 2:30) and I asked how much longer to the locks- Rey said 50 minutes. We were a party of 9- there were 2 other families in the bus- and we decided it was not worth missing the ship- so would have to give up the locks. I then asked for a partial refund- on the price of the lock visit- but was told no as the tickets were already purchased. He then said he called Mario who was monitoring the ship- tour buses- and they would noty be back in time- so we had time to go to the locks. Again- our group decided not to take the chance. As it was it took us till 3pm to get to the ship. I feel maybe Mario shouldn't put so much for one tour- especialy when the locks are so far from the other areas. Also- if they left in a timely manner in the am and the canoe ride wasn't as long- maybe we would have time. It was disappointing to have missed the locks but I would have been too nervous to have enjoyed them even if we were able to squeeze it in. So- sounds like it sure was a bad day for Mario's tours.

Did anyone talk to folks on baord who did the Panama City tour through Carnival? What kind of experience did they have? I know there was at least one positive review on this board. We have kids ages 11 and 14 - thought they would enjoy the Billage tour with Mario but I am chicken now..

My family and I were on this tour along with Bryce and his family.

The first thing we learned on this tour was the 10 really equals 60 minutes!

The Indian part of the tour was nice and I think all on the tour enjoyed it. Toward the end it started to thunder and down-pour. I personally felt it was unsafe to get in a canoe right at that time, but Lori, our guide was pushing ahead with it. So, the group did get split - those who wanted to stay back and wait and those who wanted to still see the falls. We were told it would be 30-45 min and the waterfall people would be back. So - with that info my son and I along with Mrs. Bryce and her son stayed back with about 12 others. We didn't even know our second tour guide had stayed back because he disappeared WITH THE COOLERS containing our only water. The second guide surfaced after almost a 2 hour wait when those of waiting started to approach a new tour group of people and their guide. We were told that he had cell contact and that our families were back in the canoes, etc. All lies just to shut us up. People were getting really upset so they did take us back to our bus and offered for us to join another group and go on to the locks. Several of us had split our families so we had no choice but to wait for them to catch up. After 2 1/2 hours they finally got to the bus and we were told it was a 40 min ride to the locks. That turned out to be an 1 1/4 hour ride. We got to the locks at 3:40 - had about 10 min there. Unfortunately, this was the part of the tour a number of us were looking forward to but were bascially screwed out of. We got back to the ship after it was to set sail.

It was stressful and not that enjoyable once we realized that we were in the middle of nowhere, with no one who we could speak to and basically left with the sun beating down on us for 2 hours with no water and no answers.

The communciation was terrible and we were usually lied to or blow off.

At the end of our tour I believe only two families tipped Lori - $10 each. Most were upset and didn't give her a dime!

:eek:

Thanks for this post, as I am in the process of searching for tours in Panama.

After hearing the soda comment, you sould have said to her "Skinny? Wow thanks!" in your best sarcastic Spanish!!! I bet she would have been on her best behavior towards you after that. Hmmm...or better yet, you should have said to her that while she held her hand out for a tip at the end!!!

After reading the other posting again I did want to add that we too waited at least 1/2 at the beginning of our tour for people to show up and fill our bus. Some didn't and we could have used that time at the end.

Also - as far as Lori's negative comments about others - I think it's terrible especially because she definitely lives in a glass house and shouldn't be throwing ANY stones!

After reading the other posting again I did want to add that we too waited at least 1/2 at the beginning of our tour for people to show up and fill our bus. Some didn't and we could have used that time at the end.

Also - as far as Lori's negative comments about others - I think it's terrible especially because she definitely lives in a glass house and shouldn't be throwing ANY stones!

Hi, I posted a few pics.. from our cruise.. at our roll call! It was nice meeting you.

Forget mario tours in my book!! Getting back late, negative insinuations and being prejudice is NOT something I want to pay for! Geez, I didn't even experience this but am furious at the treatment you all got.

• 3 months later...

I just returned from the Carnival Liberty yesterday. We did a tour with My Friend Mario and had no complaints.

I had read this thread and although I initially wasn't concerned, the more that I followed this thread the more concerned that I became and I almost did not go with Mario. That would have been a mistake. There were no problems when we went last week.

When we made the arrangements ahead of time via email he told us the price and also advised that in the event of bad weather, plan B would be to modify our tour from the locks and beach to the locks and the rainforest and San Lorenzo fort (which did cost slightly more). It was raining when we arrived in Panama and we were advised that there was also Red Tide, so the beach was not a good option. We chose to go with Plan B instead and we were happy. There was no problems with getting back to the ship late or close to departure. In fact, our tour guide "knew" that the ship would be leaving late because it is a 2 hour drive to and from Panama City and the Liberty had several excursions to Panama City and we could see when the buses left the port. Our guide was on the money and our ship stayed late because the buses that did the Panama City tour arrived back late. In fact, our guide told us that is why MyFriendMario does not do the panama City tours because they would also be back late and they don't want to take a chance.

By the way, the guide we had was very informative and spoke good English, and even gave away trinkets and souvenirs for free. Also there was no pressure to tip, although we did. I would not hesitate to recommend taking MFM over the ship excursion.

Archived