Port in NYC

RosieRoo

We are sailing the Victory out of NYC in August. Has anyone ever driven from Massachusetts to the ports in New York City and parked there? Just curious as to whether this is easily doable or if it is a nightmare? Any experiences you could share would be helpful. Thanks.

I've parked at the pier & I have driven to Boston for the weekend. It just wasn't for the same reason.

I suppose if you left Mass. at the crack of dawn you could make your departure but you might be tired or stressed, depending on traffic.

Parking at the pier is easy.

I have driven to Boston for lunch(at Durgan Park)...its about a 4-5 hour ride to the NY piers depending on where you live and depending on traffic. I drive to the pier all the time and the parking is easy and safe.

We live in Western Mass and we have someone drive us to port. It took us about 3 hours. We left at 7am. It was on a Saturday so there was no rush hour traffic. It seem pretty smooth to me. The parking is 25.00 a day at the Manhattan terminal which is where I am sure Carnival berths. You don't have to drive thru the city at all. We really looked at all options, even the Amtrack from Albany. This worked well for us. :)

We live in Western Mass and we have someone drive us to port. It took us about 3 hours. We left at 7am. It was on a Saturday so there was no rush hour traffic. It seem pretty smooth to me. The parking is 25.00 a day at the Manhattan terminal which is where I am sure Carnival berths. You don't have to drive thru the city at all. We really looked at all options, even the Amtrack from Albany. This worked well for us. :)

parking is $24.00 per day with a maximum of $180.00 per month(actually there is very little difference between 24 or 25 its the long term that can make it less expensive....)

http://www.nypst.com manhattan terminal

smeyer418 and janetz, thanks for the response. There is a bus available but it leaves from South Station at 6:45 am and then makes several stops along the way. I was hoping someone would say that driving was no big deal. We are actually 20 miles southof the city. We leave on a Thursday so I was hoping by the time we hit NYC it will be after rush hour is over.

smeyer418 and janetz, thanks for the response. There is a bus available but it leaves from South Station at 6:45 am and then makes several stops along the way. I was hoping someone would say that driving was no big deal. We are actually 20 miles southof the city. We leave on a Thursday so I was hoping by the time we hit NYC it will be after rush hour is over.

Well think about that long drive from Boston. How long does the bus take? With the cost of gas, and the driving, all it might be more relaxing. You think? I have thought about driving next May into Springfield to grab the bus but we like to get there early. :)

I just hate the thought of all those stops along the way. My sister did it last year and she hated it. Maybe that is why I don't want to go on the bus. I think it is a 4-5 hour drive. We will just get up early and set off. We also like to be on the ship early.

I just hate the thought of all those stops along the way. My sister did it last year and she hated it. Maybe that is why I don't want to go on the bus. I think it is a 4-5 hour drive. We will just get up early and set off. We also like to be on the ship early.

Yes, and arriving with all the others and the luggage,etc. Have a great cruise! :D

i used to live in foxboro 6 years after college....and i'll tell you one thing...driving to NJ on a friday night was fine, for the most part.

1) what is your sail date? depending on the day, it will certainly have an impact

2) factor the Yankees (and i guess Met fans would be on the Cross Bronx Expy in your calculation (i.e. if you plan to drive in the night before...again, depending on when your sail date is)

heck...why not just take the Bonanza bus. or if you dare...the Fung Wah bus (Boston to Chinatown, NYC)...hehehehehehe.

ZoneHPH - Fung Wa? I would actually like to make it to the boat!!! We leave on a Thursday and return on a Monday. Didn't think baseball would impact the trip seeing as we leave in the am and return in the am.

ZoneHPH - Fung Wa? I would actually like to make it to the boat!!! We leave on a Thursday and return on a Monday. Didn't think baseball would impact the trip seeing as we leave in the am and return in the am.

i figured you knew what i meant...heheheheh...i'd NEVER take that bus!

We live in Quincy and we've sailed out of NYC 3 times. Twice we took the bus and this last time we drove (with 4 kids in the car) I still can't decide whether driving ourselves or taking the bus was better. The bus did stop twice to pick up more passengers and once for a pit stop. When we drove ourselves it ended up taking about the same amount of time. (We drove in April in the middle of torrential rain and snow) We made it to NY in about 6 1/2 hours. But we made it.lol The bus is probably more relaxing but driving is more convenient especially on the way home. If you drive yourself you don't have to wait for the bus. Its a tough decision.

I am sailing in August and will spend a night n CT then tackle NY on the morning of sailing, which is a Sunday. On the return I will drive striaght home. This should be better than trying to get of of the house with a 15 and 82 YO. :)

Smellytoes, thanks for sharing your experiences. I hate the waiting so I think we are going to do the drive. I think we'll just take off early and hope for the best. I feel better knowing that others have done it and survived :) .

Archived