Monarch of the Seas

My DH and I just sailed Monarch over Memorial Day weekend (read my review). For a three day cruise, I must say I was impressed. The ship seemed fine for an older ship, and the crew was fantastic. We were on deck 2 with a tiny porthole window in the front of the ship, and yes, the room was small, but so what? It was only for a short time. Plus, the bedding was new and comfortable. I slept like a baby, even when the anchor was lowered.

As others have said, it's good for us So Cal folks for a quick getaway. We went with some co-workers and had a blast. For the price, it's a good deal. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. Looking into the 4 day cruise now. Enjoy yourself on the ship. It's a great value. Oh, and we've all re-booked for next Memorial Day when last week's sale was announced. Happy sailing!

I hear ya. I've been off the ship for slightly over a week now and we're going to book another cruise tomorrow night for Columbus Day weekend with a few friends.

Thanks I did see the good things you posted. My first cruise was on the Vision in a inside, then the monarch and it was smaller. so I am going back on the Vision this Nov and in a inside. I just need a cruise and I don't think I can hold out till Nov.

A friend and I are getting ready to book this for a weekend in August - we're going to do an inside guarantee booking because we're going with the "how much time are you really in your room" theory - we are also Southern Californians who will have to drive a WHOLE HALF AND HOUR to get on :D

That said....any Southern Cal folks out there who've done both the Monarch AND the Carnival Paradise? which one do you prefer and why?

Yes the cabins are small but you are in port all day and are hardly in the cabin. Its a gread deal for a short vacation but don't consider it crusing. Just relax and have fun. We always take an outside cabin and did so the first time we did the Monarch. Found we never looked out so now we take an inside and spend the time around the ship for the 4 nights. Bev

A friend and I are getting ready to book this for a weekend in August - we're going to do an inside guarantee booking because we're going with the "how much time are you really in your room" theory - we are also Southern Californians who will have to drive a WHOLE HALF AND HOUR to get on :D

That said....any Southern Cal folks out there who've done both the Monarch AND the Carnival Paradise? which one do you prefer and why?

I live in So Cal and have taken the Carnival twice (first time it was the Ecstasy) and the Monarch once. I thought the Monarch was a much nicer ship and I had just as much fun on Monarch as I did on Paradise. I think it's what you make of it.

• 4 weeks later...
I've heard that some cabins do have a sewer smell, but I can assure it's not the entire ship, so if you pick a cabin in a different location, you should be able to avoid it - we've never noticed anything on Decks 9 or 10, for example.

The only "party" port is Ensenada - if you're going on the 4-night cruise then you'll find a far more sedate crowd onboard (since our CC group won't be there:o ) and have a nice time in San Diego and Avalon.

For awhile the food was good to excellent. This year I've been on her 5 times (it's hell living 10 minutes from the port) and the food quality has varied quite a bit. Plus I'm sick to death of the menu, since it's the same fleetwide and we've done a lot of cruising in the past 2 years. There was a new executive chef last time we were onboard and, even though the food was the same as always, it seemed a little more interesting to me.

I think anybody who sails Monarch expecting the top RCI experience is bound to be disappointed. She's one of the older ships in the fleet, and she does take a beating on the weekend cruises, but she has the best crew in the fleet and I think if you can overlook some of her bumps & blemishes, you can relax and enjoy a nice getaway. If you can't, well, Mariner will be here soon!:D

Jean or anyone else with Monarch experience---

We are booked on a 4 nighter in Sept. JS 1074 which is under the pool area. In reading about cabins, saw where there can be pool cleaning noise early in the morning. There are a few other JS available--3 of them are on either side of the front elevators----either below pool bar or on the other side of the elevator under Windjammer. Sooooooooo, which is the "quieter" place. We were in an OS one time on the Splendour under the WJ and heard the carts all night long. I am more inclined to 1 of the 3 around the elevator since I will be using a scooter or wheelchair due to recent foot surgery. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have been on the Monarch twice, once on the 3 night deck 7) & once on the 4 night (JS 1064). We love the intimacy of the ship & the convenience to Phoenix. We did notice a sewage smell in our room on deck 7, however our cabin steward did something to it when I mentioned & the smell went away completely! It seems worse in port - keep your sink stopper closed and your toilet seat down and it seems to keep it away. My favorite spot is the Viking Crown Lounge during the day where you have a 360 degree view.

Here is a picture of our JS on Deck 10. We were directly under the pool deck and were not bothered by noise at all!:) I'm sorry I did not make it big enough. Just click on the picture to enlarge it:o :

2574208170071903042djcMgp_th.jpg

Jean or anyone else with Monarch experience---

We are booked on a 4 nighter in Sept. JS 1074 which is under the pool area. In reading about cabins, saw where there can be pool cleaning noise early in the morning. There are a few other JS available--3 of them are on either side of the front elevators----either below pool bar or on the other side of the elevator under Windjammer. Sooooooooo, which is the "quieter" place. We were in an OS one time on the Splendour under the WJ and heard the carts all night long. I am more inclined to 1 of the 3 around the elevator since I will be using a scooter or wheelchair due to recent foot surgery. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Brenda, we stayed in 1074 last December and didn't hear anything :)

###

Brenda, we stayed in 1074 last December and didn't hear anything :)

###

thanks for the info. I was afraid that we would hear deck noises as someone had posted. Have you ever stayed in any of them around the fron elevator? I will either be using a wheelchair or a leg scooter and that may be a more convenient location for me. I just don't want to be in a noisey area.

thanks for the info. I was afraid that we would hear deck noises as someone had posted. Have you ever stayed in any of them around the fron elevator? I will either be using a wheelchair or a leg scooter and that may be a more convenient location for me. I just don't want to be in a noisy area.

The closest was 1060 and that cabin wasn't noisy either.

Have fun planning :D

###

we loved the ship last Dec. and will be going twice more on her is April...this I love...

The room was also extremely small (110ish square feet) with little drawer space and decent closet space

a)do you feel as if they hid this from you? Its an older ship with smaller cabins, the size of which is well stated in the info

b)how much stuff could you possibly have for a 3 or 4 night cruise?

Archived