Passport Update from RCI Website!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link but I am still confused. In one paragraph they say all you need is a copy of your passport app. and your state ID. In another they say all you need is ID. plus BC.

Welcome to the club! :confused:

Thanks for the link but I am still confused. In one paragraph they say all you need is a copy of your passport app. and your state ID. In another they say all you need is ID. plus BC.

It depends where and when you are sailing. If you are on a European itinerary or any other one where a passport is required, you will need a document that shows that you have applied for your passport. If you are on a cruise to Bermuda, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, or Mexico where a passport is not yet required (and who knows when they finally will set that date), all you will need is a birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

It depends where and when you are sailing. If you are on a European itinerary or any other one where a passport is required, you will need a document that shows that you have applied for your passport. If you are on a cruise to Bermuda, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, or Mexico where a passport is not yet required (and who knows when they finally will set that date), all you will need is a birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

Actually, if you are traveling to Europe you are required to have the passport in hand. The receipt is only acceptable for travel in Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean and as stated this is for air travel only, which I think has added to the confusion.

As it stands today you only need the birth certificate or proof of citizenship plus a state issued ID to cruise in Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean. It is unclear as to when the passport will be needed because they keep changing things! :mad:

However, if your passport is in process and you need to fly home from a cruise you will need the receipt of application from the website.

The big question has been whether or not the cruise line will accept the receipt for the passport instead of the other documents required to prove US citizenship.

Also, the passport website is stressing that this is to get back into the States and the requirements to enter other countries is up to those countries…..so be sure to check.

RCI has the June 8 passport rule on the website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do;jsessionid=000093LiWoyL0GSQSrKbhKe_Kfx:10ktdmods?cS=NAVBAR

Passport Requirements

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) once fully implemented will require all travelers entering or reentering the United States to be in the possession of a valid passport.

Anticipated Implementation

January 23, 2007 - Valid passport required for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda.

June 8, 2007 - The departments of State and Homeland Security relaxed the valid passport rule for air travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda provided travelers can show (a) a government-issued photo identification and (b) an official proof of application for a U.S. passport from the U.S. Department of State which can be secured from http:/travel.state.gov. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child's proof of application.

Note: Travelers who have not applied for a passport should not expect to be accommodated

Notice the above mentions air travel. RCCL will not accept the passport application. They will require the passport or original/ certififed copy of BC and photo ID (any marriage liscence if it's applicable)

When I applied for my passport a couple of weeks ago at a local post office, I was given 2 peices of paper to keep. The first was the first page of the passport application. It has important information on it. The second was a receipt. The post office official said to hold on to both of these as they were proof that I had applied for a passport. My DH and I applied early, we do not need our passport until March 2008.

But the passport office HAS my BC. So I guess I have to fork out $26.00 to my county for copies. Yes, I am an idiot for not being prepared.

You’re no more an idiot than me. I never in a million years thought it would take over 4 MONTHS to get my renewal when the website was saying to allow 8-10 weeks when I sent in my renewal. I'm still waiting.

Notice the above mentions air travel. RCCL will not accept the passport application. They will require the passport or original/ certififed copy of BC and photo ID (any marriage liscence if it's applicable)

Yes, I posted that right after I started this thread...post #2.

Not just a copy, but the original with the seal or a certified copy from the state where you were born.

According to what I read on the gov. site last night. If you have applied for a passport, you need a form of ID to get on the ship with proof of the application, you do not need to have a copy of your birth certificate (only if you have applied)

Here is direct info from the site

U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was mandated by Congress in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for citizens and legitimate international visitors. WHTI requirements for air travel took effect on January 23, 2007.

Adults who have applied for but not yet received a passport should present government-issued photo identification and an official proof of application from the U.S. Department of State. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child’s proof of application status. Children traveling alone should carry a copy of their birth certificate, baptismal record or a hospital record of birth in the United States in addition to their passport application status documentation. This accommodation applies to all American citizens who apply for passports, until September 30, when this accommodation period ends. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html.

According to what I read on the gov. site last night. If you have applied for a passport, you need a form of ID to get on the ship with proof of the application, you do not need to have a copy of your birth certificate (only if you have applied)

Here is direct info from the site

U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was mandated by Congress in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for citizens and legitimate international visitors. WHTI requirements for air travel took effect on January 23, 2007.

Adults who have applied for but not yet received a passport should present government-issued photo identification and an official proof of application from the U.S. Department of State. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child’s proof of application status. Children traveling alone should carry a copy of their birth certificate, baptismal record or a hospital record of birth in the United States in addition to their passport application status documentation. This accommodation applies to all American citizens who apply for passports, until September 30, when this accommodation period ends. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: .

That is by air not sea.

Archived