Formal Nights - a narrow query

Kane

All the cruiselines rent through Cruiseline Formals. Go to their website, click on products, and click on Holland America. You will have to have him measured at a local tux rental shop and then order by phone or online. The tux, shirts, and all accessories including shoes if you wish are available with a choice of black tux, white dinner jacket, or both.

Everything will be waiting in your cabin when you arrive and your cabin steward will handle everything for you. It works beautifully. Many men who own their own tux still use this rental service so as not to have to pack theirs. The whole system works beautifully and if any alterations are needed that can be handled on the ship.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com

That's great, peaches -- thanks! DH is actually getting measured for a tux this weekend (for our son's wedding) so I'll make sure he saves his measurements!

To be honest... I do wear a tux on formal nights. Period. I wouldn't care if I was the only male passenger who did so. I love the look of my wife dressed to the nines, and me in my tux are her perfect complement. Frankly, I feel like a million bucks when I'm in full battle dress and I believe it's sensed by the crew. After all, a cruise is a SPECIAL occasion. Why not do something that adds to the overall enjoyment? If I really abhored dress-up, I could have simply stayed home and watched travel shows.

I agree completely! Formal is formal. Suits are business, shorts are beach wear. Jackets and slacks are smart-casual. What's the big objection? Tux gettin' a little tight around the middle, eh?:D

LKT

Now that HAL has eliminated informal nights, men can get away with carrying just one jacket for the cruise......whether that jacket belongs to a tux, suit, or sports coat is up to him. I say if you have a tux.....bring it and get your money's worth from it. If you don't have one, it isn't necessary to buy one or rent one if you don't wish to. Many men wear dark suits and look very nice. The dress code expands to sports jackets and ties, if that is your choice. We carry the tux and long dresses and enjoy wearing them.

Personally, I love to see the men in their tuxes and the women all decked out in their fancy clothes. Everyone looks so elegant. I'm not sure how much longer this will last, though, with the airlines becoming so strict about weight and the trend towards more casual attire.

Just returned from the Oosterdam to Alaska. We had early seating; I noticed very few tuxes on the formal nights. I wore a dark suit & a (real) bow tie - that tie got me one of the nicest compliments I've ever received, from a charming young woman passing by with her husband! She would never have said anything had it been your garden variety clip-on that comes with a rental tux. Made my day!

- Richard

Just returned from the Oosterdam to Alaska. We had early seating; I noticed very few tuxes on the formal nights. I wore a dark suit & a (real) bow tie - that tie got me one of the nicest compliments I've ever received, from a charming young woman passing by with her husband! She would never have said anything had it been your garden variety clip-on that comes with a rental tux. Made my day!

Richard,

Do you happen to have any photographs of you so-dressed? I would love to see it.

We've had another report on this board from the most recent cruise of the Oosterdam which stated that there were a huge number of Tuxedos in evidence. Perhaps that other person was reporting from a later seating?

Archived