new to regent

I am not sure what class (Grill or Britannia) you were in on the QM2, but either way there is a marked difference between the lines.

The suites on the Mariner are far superior to the Princess Grill suites both in amenities and finishes. I felt the P2 was smaller than my suite on the Mariner even though it claims to be larger.

Dining in the Princess or Queens Grill and Todd English is superior to the dining on the Mariner, though the alternative restaurants on the Mariner were good. Service in the dining room is definitely superior in Grill class.

Note: Cruise dependent the Mariner may not have any formal nights (like when cruising Alaska).

Once leaving the confines of the Grill Class portion of the QM2, Mariner really takes over in intimacy, nice quality, good amenities and the ability to meet people and enjoy the ship without having to hike miles or deal with massive spaces...or deal with the horrid King's Court buffet. Also, on the Mariner there are no charges for drinks. Further, my pet peeve on the QM2 is absent: No tables with cheap jewelry, t-shirts, etc.

I guess best put is for me the QM2 is the tale of two ships, while the Mariner is pretty solid all the way around. I would cruise both again, but would be more enthusiastic looking forward to the Mariner.

we dined in the britannia club , new this year . very quiet and exellent service. Hated the kings court and didnt eat there more than once. We are looking for a cruise with some formality as we love to dress for dinner. the fort lauderdale - san francisco cruise on mariner seems interesting.

If you do the Panama Canal aboard Mariner or Voyager you will have formal and informal nights. Aboard Mariner our favorite suite is a Cat C penthouse(no butler)(476 sqft, as opposed to the 301 sqft in a standard suite). Aboard Voyager we usually just get a standard suite(356 sqft), because the penthouse suites are only 370 sqft.

Since you were in Britannia I think you will find the restaurants much more intimate, the experience much more refined and the standard suites very spacious. (Personally I find that for 2 people the extra real estate isn't worth the premium, but obviously others do.)

You will, as DB said, have formal nights.

One thing I didn't mention in my first post. I found many staff on QM2 not exactly thrilled with their jobs. (Frowns, lack of interaction, etc. were pretty common in some areas.) You will not find that on the Mariner.

Most important thing to us on Regent was that every thing is included. Never having to sign drink bills was a real pleasure. We were on the Mariner which if it is sold out there are only 700 people. No lines and no hustle. Great service every where we went on the ship.. Booked again in 2008...

Archived