Gift ideas for steward

We have cruised only twice before and one of the things I remember most is how great our cabin stewards have been. We didn't really see them around much, but typically by the time we return from breakfast, our room has been "made-up". Then we'd go somewhere, perhaps a shore excursion, come back and clean-up (thus messing the room) go off for a pre dinner drink or whatever - come back and the rooms made-up again. Get dressed for dinner, go to dinner, rooms made-up again, you get the idea.

I'll say this, normally, I'm not a big tipper and in a restaurant if we get poor service (and I'm talking about really poor or insolent service) - I've got no problem being a poor or a no tipper, because I don't think it is right to reward poor service. But I've got no problem tipping the room stew above and beyond for their hard work and great service.

So, IN ADDITION to the gratuity I'd like to give them some kind of small gift. Now it would need to be durable, somewhat small or easy to pack, not fragile, unisex, etc. Boy, the only thing I can come up with is a sweatshirt from the local university, high school, etc.

Does this seem tacky? Any other ideas out there?

thanks,

dug

Hi dug,

You've asked for an opinion and I will give you mine (and this has been discussed here in previous threads). Your room steward would appreciate cash more than anything. Honestly, the crew probably doesn't need or want trinkets or personal items, even though it is very thoughtful of you to want to hand-pick something special. Their quarters are very small and they just don't have the space for "stuff". Many of them work on the ship to support their family and they send money back home; that's why anything extra you can give them would probably be the very best gift of all.

(And no offense, but the scenario you've described is really what a room steward is supposed to do. All of our previous stewards have made up our room several times a day, also.)

~Karen

Hi dug,

You've asked for an opinion and I will give you mine (and this has been discussed here in previous threads). Your room steward would appreciate cash more than anything. Honestly, the crew probably doesn't need or want trinkets or personal items, even though it is very thoughtful of you to want to hand-pick something special. Their quarters are very small and they just don't have the space for "stuff". Many of them work on the ship to support their family and they send money back home; that's why anything extra you can give them would probably be the very best gift of all.~Karen

......agree.......cash is what will be appreciated........and as Yogi says.......cash, it is the same as money.......:)

While I completely agree with the previous replies, if you simply MUST give something above and beyond additional cash, an edible speciality from your hometown that won't take up much room for long ;) would be the way that I would go. :)

But personally, I just give extra cash. :cool:

CASH! CASH! CASH! They do not have very much room in there cabins, especially if they were to receive items from every cruiser. You are very considerate and I applaud you. The room stewards work very hard for that small auto tip. I try to build a real friendship with my room stewards and with speaking with them in my previous crusies 70% of them are supporting not only there immediate family but also their parents and siblings. Therefore, cash works perfect and takes very little room. I have heard some people will take there room steward a bottle of wine from there home state but maybe the room steward doesn't drink and it would be fragile. Whatever you decide to give will be very much appreciated. Have a great cruise.

While on one of my cruises, I was doing research of the ship and the crew - I like to be able to answer clients' questions accurately! One of my discussions was with my cabin steward. Yes, they have extremely small cabins, and on most ships, they share. They have a small locker-type closet and 1 to 2 drawers in a small chest. they have a small shower/bathroom area with limited space. Everything has to be kept out of sight in their cabin. My steward also confirmed that their meals are very different from what we have. There is a lot of regional favorites for them and standard sides, like rice, which goes with anything. They have to puchase their own toiletry items. He said that if they do receive gifts, they are usually sent to their home or to a relative, depending on item and who could use it or needs it. I had some small hotel sized lotions, shampoos, etc., and asked him if these type items would be good. He said yes, as he could throw away bottle as used up and would not take up too much space, and would save him money. I brought back some deserts from the dining room and gave them to him. He really smiled big and said thank you. I asked him if their deserts were similiar, and he said not at all. He took off with the box! their meals are served buffet style for about 3 hours per meal. during their work day hours, they will take a break and go down for their meal. Also, they are not allowed to have any food in their cabins except packaged items like peanut butter crackers, chips, wrapped candy. They cannot take prepared food back to their cabin.

He said money as always welcomed. If tips are put on SeaPass type cards, it takes a few weeks for them to get the payment. If tips are made in cash, they are, of course, received immediately. He said that in some areas, like bars where there are more than one bartender, all tips are combined and split - with the exception of cash tips given to a bartender at time of service. They can "pocket" that money!

Hope this helps folks on deciding what little extras they would like to do for the stewards.

While on one of my cruises, I was doing research of the ship and the crew - I like to be able to answer clients' questions accurately! One of my discussions was with my cabin steward. Yes, they have extremely small cabins, and on most ships, they share. They have a small locker-type closet and 1 to 2 drawers in a small chest. they have a small shower/bathroom area with limited space. Everything has to be kept out of sight in their cabin. My steward also confirmed that their meals are very different from what we have. There is a lot of regional favorites for them and standard sides, like rice, which goes with anything. They have to puchase their own toiletry items. He said that if they do receive gifts, they are usually sent to their home or to a relative, depending on item and who could use it or needs it. I had some small hotel sized lotions, shampoos, etc., and asked him if these type items would be good. He said yes, as he could throw away bottle as used up and would not take up too much space, and would save him money. I brought back some deserts from the dining room and gave them to him. He really smiled big and said thank you. I asked him if their deserts were similiar, and he said not at all. He took off with the box! their meals are served buffet style for about 3 hours per meal. during their work day hours, they will take a break and go down for their meal. Also, they are not allowed to have any food in their cabins except packaged items like peanut butter crackers, chips, wrapped candy. They cannot take prepared food back to their cabin.

He said money as always welcomed. If tips are put on SeaPass type cards, it takes a few weeks for them to get the payment. If tips are made in cash, they are, of course, received immediately. He said that in some areas, like bars where there are more than one bartender, all tips are combined and split - with the exception of cash tips given to a bartender at time of service. They can "pocket" that money!

Hope this helps folks on deciding what little extras they would like to do for the stewards.

Very nice post with some very good information. Thanks for sharing.:)

Very helpful! Thank you! I have always given them cash anyway, but your post was very informative and these are things that I have always been curious about.

Thanks for the information. I was actually going to start a thread asking if prepaid tips are better or cash tips at the end so I guess I'll do it at the end. I do have a question as to how those cash tips are handled. I understand you are given envelopes. Are the suggested amounts on the envelopes and who do you give the envelopes to and when?

On the last night of the cruise you will get envelopes in your stateroom inside a folio that shows the recommended gratuities for your waiter, asst waiter, headwaiter & cabin steward. We usually leave the cabin steward's tip on the bed on the last evening. We bring the tip envelopes for the waitstaff to dinner and hand them to each person at the end of the meal.

You are, of course, free to tip more than the recommended amount and tip anybody else besides the "big 4" that you please. There are extra envelopes at Guest Relations, or you can just hand the person cash.

Food items are always welcome by the staff, especially junk food. We have brought bags of m and m's and cheese puffs back from the market when in ports. They have all appreciated such items and the thoughtfulness.

I take my own Thank You cards which I get at the dollar store for .50 and put their regular tip plus extra if the service has been great, which so far it has. We always have a good relationship if possible with our room stewart.

He is thanked when we see him and I think anyone likes to know they are doing an excellent job.

Anyway it has worked wonderful for us

On our last cruise, I took an assortment of Jelly Bellies since we have a store in our local outlets. In addtion to cash tips, we gave them to the waiters and the stewards. The waiter was on his way home and seemed pleased to have them for his young child. We also took some snack packs for the flights and left the extras in the cabin and also for the maid at our hotel with a note of thanks.

Great info, as I have never sailed RCI. Carnvial its just usually put on there unless you wanted taken off. I have always left it on there and tip them when I get on and when I get off. Well, let me say only if its been good when I get off. All of the stewards I have ever had deserved it both ways. I just never knew that they loved to get snacks, I guess I just assumed they ate somewhat like we did. I will from now on always bring back lots of snacks!!!

I prefer to give the tip directly to the person recieving it. I think it is more prersonable. I also figure the tip before I go and I put the tips in seperate envolopes. I can always add more or take out some as I need but this way I always have the suggested amount with me. I place the envolopes in the safe and give them out at the end of the cruise.

Also here is a tip calculator for suggested amounts of tipping.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

I agree that money is the best choice but I never thought about a few candies or snacks. I might add that next time.

One thing not to forget is to be sure to fill out your comment cards and mention them by name if you have really enjoyed your cruise and if they went above and beyond to make your vacation a good one. The comments are read and taken into consideration for promotions.

I read on another post that they would take small chocolate candy bars (hershey's, etc.) and wrap the tip around the bar before handing it to the recipient, and it was always appreciated. I thought that was a pretty good idea!

Archived