Wow, you gotta see this pic! Anyone ever experience something like this?

aearly

We had some pretty good waves on our January 2003 Western Caribbean cruise on Voyager. I don't have a point of reference since I didn't take pictures of the bow during the rough seas, but they seemed a little higher than usual.

My guess is that was either the maiden voyage from the shipyard to Fla, or a checkout cruise. The former would have needed to cross some rough seas, and for latter would have been trying to get the ship to do this...

That pic must have been taken on the crossing. I've heard some pretty interesting stories about rough crossings on new ships.

Every time we've had rough seas on Voyager class ships, they've closed the front deck. I've even seen the "peek a boo" deck closed on a couple of occasions. Don't know if that was for the rough seas, high winds or lightning.

Ben

A lot of people claim that pic of the Triumph is a fake.. it's a very good job if it is...

But rest assured, ships are designed to handle and survive worse... On the Queen Elizabeth 2, they sold pictures in the photo shop of the bow being swamped by huge waves...

If the ship does go thru some rough water, do they lock you in your rooms? May sound silly but just a thought. If you have a balcony cabin what is stopping you from going out on your balcony to look at the waves? Then while your out there a thirty or forty foot wave comes crashing on to your balcony and washes you out to sea... shark bait!

The sort of seas that the Navigator was sailing in aren't uncommon, although obviously the cruise lines try to keep ships away even from that sort of weather as many people don't like it. (I love it, but that's probably just me.) Even so, you might just get that sort of thing if you hit a storm or you're on the fringes of a hurricane and can't get far enough away.

The weather would have to get a lot worse before passengers are confined to cabins. I heard a story once about one of the ships going to Antarctica (an icebreaker, not a conventional cruise ship) which was rolling to 45 degrees each side. The captain of that ship did order all the passengers to go to their cabins and lie on the floor.

FWIW, I don't believe that the Triumph pic is real.

Wasn't it about two years ago that a P&O ship (I want to say Oriana) was in the North Atlantic and got hit by an 80 foot rogue wave. The force broke a few cabin windows and a lot of water came in, and some elderly people were injured and it was a big clean up... but did not affect the overall safety of the ship. Still pretty scary, I am sure.

A friend of mine is a marine biolgist at Woods Hole and she does the Chile to Antarctic run a lot and she says that crossing is always "fun".. they are on research vessels which are much smaller than cruise ships, and the crew acts like all the rolling is just another day at sea...

Hmmmmm, I thought the captains wnet AROUND the storms!

The funny thing is, I take comfort in knowing that those weather conditions don't seem to harm the ships or put them into jeopardy. What amazing vessels they are.:)

For anyone who has ever served in the Navy, these pics are kind of funny - because they are so "mild."

I personally have been through 48 foot waves on a ship that was 445' long and 47' wide... and I must say, I've never had so much fun in my life.

As for the pics here, they are shocking to most b/c seas are often so calm in the caribbean and such, but I have to say I wouldn't be disappointed to experience a little "fun" on Explorer in two weeks...

Rough seas are understandably not for the faint at heart... I wish I had pictures to post of real waves and ships (digital camera's were unheard of then!!)

Happy sailing!

Archived