What will You be doing in Acapulco, Mexico

Mike NYC

On the, Norwegian Star-09/29/07 Posting #107 AUSSIE KATHY wrote on May 23th., QUOTE...'We have also booked a trip by Rosie in Acapulco she has had mostly rave reviews on this site if anyone is interested in joining us. Best to e-mail her direct at dew_days@hotmail.com so we don't over book. Price depends on numbers: 4 pax $43 per person, 6 pax $40 per person, 8 pax $35 per person, and more than 8 pax will be $30 per person. All in US dollars. The tour is for 5 to 6 hours, the places we will see The Flamingo's Hotel, The Cliff Divers, the Diego's Rivera's mural, the cross up on top of the hill, shopping, the Casa Blanca Hotel for view and much, more. Kathy".

Read the reviews of past visitors, wrote Rosie, booked Annie and myself for the tour, joining those already on their Acapulco tour. Rosie has already filled up one AC Van and has some space available on the 2nd van with her husband. Very Reasonably priced, well chosen places they take you too at such an affordable price. They are Bilingual and so are we. Should a have a great time! Very nice people to do business with, we've written each other a few times and they know what their doing.

Acapulco, Mexico will be the best port for shopping, best place to buy crafts, shoes, sandals, leather bags, backpacks and any leather goods, silver jewelry (MAKE sure it is stamped 925 clearly, and avoid buying it from street vendors, they are ripping you off selling a cheaper imitation, that stamped Mex or Mexico), T-shirts, Mexican booze like Tequila, Khalua.

No longer the Jet setter's paradise it was in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Now it mostly caters to Mexican Families and European travels that can't afford the Mexican Mega Resorts that you'll find in Ixtapa, Cabo, Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. A little tarnished, with mostly older hotel but at bargain prices if you know what you should pay.

The port is inside the bay, too polluted for my taste but you can take a local bus for less then a dollar to the costal beaches or anywhere in town. The costal tides are famous for being a pulling, drowning tow and best not to allow kids to swim unattended.

For those who want to see the cliff divers, plan to do it early in the day. The afternoon sun can be very hot and there isn't enough shade. Nice restaurant that offers good vistas and a decent meal at a reasonable price for those that would like to see them diving with torches at night. A long walk of about 20 minute to get to or a cheap $5.00 cab ride from the dock.

We'll dock on the outside of Fort San Diego, A nice place to visit but not for those that are incapable of stairs. The entrance is street level but to get inside you have to get up 3 long flights of stairs that are terraces with nice flowers planted. Great place to learn about the early 1500 round the world adventures. It was a major stop point on the Manila trade to the new world. Great place also to take PHOTO'S, the ship is docked just outside and your about 50 feet above street leave. We will be docked next to it. Just a 5 minute walk to the shopping area, the Zocolo and Market.

Thanks Mike.

We'll be there in November. Thinking of doing the Fort on our own, then taking a taxi to dinner/cliff divers. Wonder where the best shopping would be? Can you get there on your own?

Fort San Diego is very easy to do on your own: there's a walkway (over the highway) from the passenger terminal where your ship will dock and the Fort property across the street. Follow this link to an online album where I've uploaded photos I took at Fort San Diego, and you'll get a good idea of what there is to see and do:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/217277863cUowOD

Very close, almost next door, to Fort San Diego is the Casa de la Máscara, a mask museum displaying masks indigenoous to that particular region of Mexico. It's a mini history lesson of the area. Follow this link to an online album where I've uploaded photos I took at the mask museum:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/220789710rSKjLT

Visiting La Quebrada, where the cliff divers perform is very easy to accomplish on your own. If you enjoy walking, the walk from the passenger terminal to the dive spot, at a moderate pace, takes about 25 minutes. The walk takes you through Plaza Alvarez (the local zocalo) and the historic center of the city and is a pleasant and interesting trip. There are several good restaurants along the walk, a favorite of mine being El Amigo Miguel - a very popular seafood restaurant. The food at the hotel overlooking the cliff divers is not very good, and I prefer to watch the divers from the platforms closest to them, and from the stairways. I don't find the Sun/heat a problem - but if you have health concerns being outdoors then arranging for a table in the shade in the restaurant (overlooking the divers) might work best for you. Follow this link to an online album where I've uploaded lphotos I took where the cliff divers perform:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/549814575kitTvh

Regarding your "best shopping" question: what is it you might be interesting in picking-up when in Acapulco? The tour guides and taxi drivers almost always bring unsuspecting travlers to the "artisan market" which tourists, and very few local residents, shop at - and where prices are higher than in many places in the city. I usually steer people away from that particular market (drivers bringing you there often do so because they receive tips or a commission when you buy something). Are you looking for "touristy" type tyings, silver, clothing for yourself?

Acapulco is very easy to get around on your own, without a guide - but having the ability to speak some Spanish will make the independent moving about a little easier. Though, people who don't speak Spanish visit Acapulco regularly and encounter few difficulties being understood. Taxi's are inexpensive (relative to our home countries) and bus service is very efficient and costs less than the peso equivalent of US$0.50 to get most places in the city.

I have many more photos of Acapulco which might help you plan your trip, and to view them use the link I've included, below, in my "signature line."

And as long as you'll be traveling along the Pacific Coast of Mexico on the trip, you might benefit from picking up a copy (or reading a copy) of a good guide book for that part of the country. Moon Handbooks publishes one I like best, but Lonely Planet also has one.

Thanks for the pix links. I am not a fort person, but since we have been to Acapulco before we decided we would go to the fort. After viewing your pix it looks like an excellent choice.

The pix are great!! :)

Once was enough for me. Doubt if I will ever book another cruise that stops in ACA. If I did, I would stay on the ship. Seeing the cliff divers was cool. The rest of the city was kind of creepy or for the rich. This is just my opinion, so please don't get offended if this is your home, or your favorite place in Mexico. It just gave off a bad vibe to me, so I always follow my instincts.

Please enjoy your time in Acapulco. The lights of the city were beautiful at night.

VISIT Villa Vera Hotel Spa and Racquet Club...WHERE LIZ MARRIED RICHARD TODD WITH EDDI FISHER AS WITNESS...THEY STILL HAVE VILLA THERE THEN YOU CAN LUNCH AT GREAT RESTAURANT!

On the, Norwegian Star-09/29/07 Posting #107 AUSSIE KATHY wrote on May 23th., QUOTE...'We have also booked a trip by Rosie in Acapulco she has had mostly rave reviews on this site if anyone is interested in joining us. Best to e-mail her direct at dew_days@hotmail.com so we don't over book. Price depends on numbers: 4 pax $43 per person, 6 pax $40 per person, 8 pax $35 per person, and more than 8 pax will be $30 per person. All in US dollars. The tour is for 5 to 6 hours, the places we will see The Flamingo's Hotel, The Cliff Divers, the Diego's Rivera's mural, the cross up on top of the hill, shopping, the Casa Blanca Hotel for view and much, more. Kathy".

Read the reviews of past visitors, wrote Rosie, booked Annie and myself for the tour, joining those already on their Acapulco tour. Rosie has already filled up one AC Van and has some space available on the 2nd van with her husband. Very Reasonably priced, well chosen places they take you too at such an affordable price. They are Bilingual and so are we. Should a have a great time! Very nice people to do business with, we've written each other a few times and they know what their doing.

Acapulco, Mexico will be the best port for shopping, best place to buy crafts, shoes, sandals, leather bags, backpacks and any leather goods, silver jewelry (MAKE sure it is stamped 925 clearly, and avoid buying it from street vendors, they are ripping you off selling a cheaper imitation, that stamped Mex or Mexico), T-shirts, Mexican booze like Tequila, Khalua.

No longer the Jet setter's paradise it was in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Now it mostly caters to Mexican Families and European travels that can't afford the Mexican Mega Resorts that you'll find in Ixtapa, Cabo, Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. A little tarnished, with mostly older hotel but at bargain prices if you know what you should pay.

The port is inside the bay, too polluted for my taste but you can take a local bus for less then a dollar to the costal beaches or anywhere in town. The costal tides are famous for being a pulling, drowning tow and best not to allow kids to swim unattended.

For those who want to see the cliff divers, plan to do it early in the day. The afternoon sun can be very hot and there isn't enough shade. Nice restaurant that offers good vistas and a decent meal at a reasonable price for those that would like to see them diving with torches at night. A long walk of about 20 minute to get to or a cheap $5.00 cab ride from the dock.

We'll dock on the outside of Fort San Diego, A nice place to visit but not for those that are incapable of stairs. The entrance is street level but to get inside you have to get up 3 long flights of stairs that are terraces with nice flowers planted. Great place to learn about the early 1500 round the world adventures. It was a major stop point on the Manila trade to the new world. Great place also to take PHOTO'S, the ship is docked just outside and your about 50 feet above street leave. We will be docked next to it. Just a 5 minute walk to the shopping area, the Zocolo and Market.

Archived