Last Minute Cruises - Especially From Florida?

vickiw0318

I had heard that, since 9/11, it was no longer possible to go down to the docks the day of a cruise and snatch up an available cabin for minimal amount.

However, a co-worker is moving to Jupiter, Florida and swears that it is possible to go an hour away and get on a ship for $100 per person. Claims his wife called a cruise line (we don't know which one) and was told this is possible.

Can this still be done?

No, it's not possible. Homeland Security rules state that all cruise lines must submit passenger manifests no later than 72 hours before sailing. I know that when I was on Crystal in April, we were not allowed to dock in Honolulu at the scheduled time because someone on the ship messed up and didn't submit the paperwork in time, and therefore we sat in the ocean for a day before they would allow us to dock. Something similar happened to Celebrity a couple of years ago. They didn't submit their passenger list and they got into a whole lot of trouble when they tried to return to port.

You can book up to cut off time. Once our TA called me at 10AM, as I had left her as message we did want to go on a particular cruise. She had to book us before 12 noon that day. This was Friday, ship left Monday. Booked on Wednesday, ship left Sunday. Find prices can really go down. Best was $299, balcony cabin, deck 9 our favorite deck, Costa Magica. Booked thid on Tuesday, ship left that week end.

I'm not sure about the rules, but our friend(Johnny) from Ft. Lauderdale took us to our ship in March 2003, (Costa Atlantica). The ship was not full, and he inquired about the price of the cruise when he dropped us off..............He must have liked the price, so he left, went home and packed, and joined us for the cruise a couple of hours later..............he is the guy on the back row, on the right..........

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1069662568041895530xSRbcA

Archived