First time in Alaska, What do you think?

marlee73

Hi,

This is my first trip to Alaska. I was hinking about the Executive Misty Fjords Flightseeing, Snorkleing, the Safari Photo Land and Sea, Tram at Juneau. Also Davey and EsterE. My question is am I actually seeing basically the same thing with the Photo Safari Land and Sea and the Davey Wildlife cruise? Also am I going to be dissapointed that I did not book a train. If so which will be best for someone who is not OK sitting still. I can't imagine 7 hrs on a train...This is all for the week of Aug. 15th, Carnival Spirit. Thanks for the help.

Like you, I could not picture myself on a train that long. We opted for the 3½ hour round trip with Chilkoot Charters - that is half on the train (and you CAN move around on the train) and return by van, with lots of stops on the way. Just another idea for you. ;)

in skagway, we did the 3 1/2 hr round-trip, purchased through the cruiseline. just an up and down the mountain, time went fast.

on the way back, i was standing up the whole way, taking photos.

it's easy to walk around the train cars...you don't have to stay seated.

plus they have a viewing platform...more photo ops out there. still have time to do other stuff in town. you do learn the history of the gold rush on this ride. the only thing is on the way back (on the train) it's quiet. find for me, i take pictures...but hubby napped.

for this you just go up the mountain, learn the train history and the route the gold miners used to get to the yukon. once at the top, you don't get off the train, just switch the seat over and go down the mountain.

if you like taking photos..this has many photo ops.

As Toyz explained, this is from Skagway. Reports of husbands sleeping on the way back down was the reason I checked out www.chilkootcharters.com. Reports from people coming back have been VERY positive about the personalized service this company offers, which means stopping whenever there is anything to see for a photo op.

actually, this hubby falls asleep when riding on anything with a motor/engine. his mom used to drive him around to get him to sleep, so i blame her. on planes, he's asleep before the plane takes off. we didn't want to do any tours involving getting in or out of van/bus or shuttles...his knees can't take it.

yes, i do 90% of the driving!!!

in skagway, we did the 3 1/2 hr round-trip, purchased through the cruiseline. just an up and down the mountain, time went fast.

on the way back, i was standing up the whole way, taking photos.

it's easy to walk around the train cars...you don't have to stay seated.

plus they have a viewing platform...more photo ops out there. still have time to do other stuff in town. you do learn the history of the gold rush on this ride. the only thing is on the way back (on the train) it's quiet. find for me, i take pictures...but hubby napped.

for this you just go up the mountain, learn the train history and the route the gold miners used to get to the yukon. once at the top, you don't get off the train, just switch the seat over and go down the mountain.

if you like taking photos..this has many photo ops.

Thanks Cathi,

That helps. By the Way my Aunt and Cousins all live in Hernando. Small World

Marcia

We had a 2 1/2 city and summit hour tour with Frontier Excursions in Skagway which I enjoyed very much. It wasn't too long and it gave us lots of photo ops along the way. I thought the train ride sounded too long and my camera doesn't take good pictures when I am in a moving vehicle!

I checked out www.chilkootcharters.com. Reports from people coming back have been VERY positive about the personalized service this company offers, which means stopping whenever there is anything to see for a photo op.

I couldn't agree more!

We toured with Chilkoot (train up and bus back) on June 7th. We had booked the new 9 hour to Carcross but the tracks had washed out at Lake Bennett the week before so we opted for the 7 hour. Besides the amazing scenery, we saw black bears three different times on the return bus ride. This was a good opportunity for wildlife viewing if you're into that. The only place we encountered more bears was in Denali. We also saw Dall sheep and caribou. Emerald lake was is full color as well. Larry drove the bus and he is a character with some "colorful" stories! Time passed fast for us.

Enjoy your trip!

i had a new digital that i (really) don't know that much about. we had heavy fog in the morning (late sept...fog can happen). but the photos turned out good. i only had a couple that had motion problems, otherwise they came out clear and nice. the best ones were the ones with fog, everyone gets sunny pictures...the fog was unusual.

i do recommend people take the train at least once, as part of a combo trip or the roundtrip. it is interesting history and great photo ops. the train's views are different then the highway.

it's amazing how hard those miners had to work to even get to the gold area.....you learn something new everyday.

next time flightseeing.

marlee73: californa, 1981 left phoenix to amarillo to north fort myers (fl) to sanford (nc) to walls to olive branch. nice area, we like it here.

no, not military....salesman.

• 2 weeks later...
Like you, I could not picture myself on a train that long. We opted for the 3½ hour round trip with Chilkoot Charters - that is half on the train (and you CAN move around on the train) and return by van, with lots of stops on the way. Just another idea for you. ;)

I think we have decided on this one. Does it matter if you choose rail up and bus back? Is one way better than the other?

Archived