cruising from new york

bananerz3080

We sailed on NCL Dawn out of NYC, once in January 2003 and once on a Holiday cruise , in late December 2005. It's warm on the first full day at sea, in the 70's, when the ship is off the Carolinas. It should be plenty warm in April. Have a wonderful cruise!

I sailed out of Manhattan on the Dawn in January. Ice everywhere. No one was in the pool, but by about the 3rd morning at sea we were in Bermuda shorts. I'd do it again in a heartbeat AND...

I'd ride through central park in the horse-drawn carriage wrapped in a blanket again. That was heavenly!

April from New York should be fine for swimming the next day. As far as rough seas that is usually one of the calmer times of the year. Hurricane season doesn't start till later in the Summer so that's not a problem. I know that doesn't rule out rough seas but that's true out of any port. It's a great port to sail out of and into. I've sailed out of there a dozen times and it is now my favorite port.

Sailed March 1st out of New York on the Dawn. Lots of us were in the hot-tubs for the sailaway. There was also a small outdoor pool that was heated warm enough that many people went in. The main pool was too cold. We sailed into a storm so nobody even went outside for the first couple of sea days after that. Still had fun.

We have cruised out of NY in April. Yes it can be cool to cold. But that has not stopped us from going. This past April it was cool but warm and beautiful in the Bahamas. On the way home we heard it had snowed in NY. The weather in NY was very cold and did not warm up for quite awhile. I have cruised out of NY in February know that is cold sailing. If it is warm weather you want to sail out of, then you might want to wait til summer.

No one correct answer to the question. It will as always depends on the weather and the week. I have sialed out of NYC in Feb 4 times and hit 70s the first sea day and 50s for the high.

Your weather the afternoon of the sea first day will mirror Hatteras, North Carolina.

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KHSE&SafeCityName=Cape_Hatteras&StateCode=NC&Units=none&IATA=HSE

April 1st - record high 80 F Average high 65 F

April 30th - record high 90 F Average high 72 F

We left NYC on April 15th for the Bahamas the day a noreaster hit. Extremely high winds and rain and very rough seas 20'-30'. Once we got below South Carolina everything started calming down and we had wonderful time in FL, Nassau, and the Geat Stirup Cay. We would do it again, but hopefully without the weather.:)

Archived