NJ to Red Hook via Staten Island.

smeyer418

http://www.zwire.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=18506834&BRD=2384&PAG=461&dept_id=551971&rfi=8

just so you know....

There has been much discussion(mostly on the Princess Boards) of the "best" way to get to the Red hook pier. This is just what is going on as the V-N Bridge for the next 3 to 5 years is undegoing reconstruction. As I said else where you take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll be in Brooklyn before 'ye even if its three miles longer.

http://www.zwire.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=18506834&BRD=2384&PAG=461&dept_id=551971&rfi=8

just so you know....

There has been much discussion(mostly on the Princess Boards) of the "best" way to get to the Red hook pier. This is just what is going on as the V-N Bridge for the next 3 to 5 years is undegoing reconstruction. As I said else where you take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll be in Brooklyn before 'ye even if its three miles longer.

Aren't they ALWAYS rebuilding/maintaining/wasting time on the bridges???? Welcome to the East Coast Union road maintenance contracts. Can we say GRAFT???

Only way the Veranzano and GW can keep RAISING the bridge tolls. I remember all the hoopla BS-"when the GW is paid for it will be free". Guess they're still trying to pay the initial cost of the bridge.

And Mayor Bloomburg wants to charge a "fee" for every vehicle that enters NYC??? Get prepared for a STEEP increase in the price of your groceries. That is one TAX the perishable haulers association is fighting tooth and nail. It already costs trucks almost $100.00 for tolls to enter and exit the 5 boroughs from NJ (meat and produce markets, not counting market entry fees). How much more can YOU afford????

Aren't they ALWAYS rebuilding/maintaining/wasting time on the bridges???? Welcome to the East Coast Union road maintenance contracts. Can we say GRAFT???

Only way the Veranzano and GW can keep RAISING the bridge tolls. I remember all the hoopla BS-"when the GW is paid for it will be free". Guess they're still trying to pay the initial cost of the bridge.

And Mayor Bloomburg wants to charge a "fee" for every vehicle that enters NYC??? Get prepared for a STEEP increase in the price of your groceries. That is one TAX the perishable haulers association is fighting tooth and nail. It already costs trucks almost $100.00 for tolls to enter and exit the 5 boroughs from NJ (meat and produce markets, not counting market entry fees). How much more can YOU afford????

aren't you supposed to get credit for the toll already paid or is that for passenger cars only? the cross Harbor freight tunnel(which would get the freight to Long Island by train and not truck) is looking better and better. The toll by the way is only for entering Manhattan(except for those staying on the highways-which excludes trucks- below 86th street, so its only in Manhattan where people pay an outrageous amount for food already....bet Fresh direct will love it.... so if you read it, it has nothing to do with the BQE, Queens the Bronx and Staten Island, just the core of Manhattan...obviously there is a lot of misinformation and anger now. but Manhattan is chocked with traffic. Would you prefer trucks making deliveries at night only? So maybe the trucks that go to the Holland tunnel to avoid the VN tolls would go back and not clog cross Manhattan in the PM-

PS I favor doing away with the one way toll on the VN Bridge(now $9 to Staten Island and making it $4.50 each way(I know its more for trucks)...but this will require a change in Federal law(thank you Senator D'amato)

aren't you supposed to get credit for the toll already paid or is that for passenger cars only? the cross Harbor freight tunnel(which would get the freight to Long Island by train and not truck) is looking better and better. The toll by the way is only for entering Manhattan(except for those staying on the highways-which excludes trucks- below 86th street, so its only in Manhattan where people pay an outrageous amount for food already....bet Fresh direct will love it.... so if you read it, it has nothing to do with the BQE, Queens the Bronx and Staten Island, just the core of Manhattan...obviously there is a lot of misinformation and anger now. but Manhattan is chocked with traffic. Would you prefer trucks making deliveries at night only? So maybe the trucks that go to the Holland tunnel to avoid the VN tolls would go back and not clog cross Manhattan in the PM-

PS I favor doing away with the one way toll on the VN Bridge(now $9 to Staten Island and making it $4.50 each way(I know its more for trucks)...but this will require a change in Federal law(thank you Senator D'amato)

My company makes a tremendous amount of pickups and deliveries in Manhattan, so Mayor Bloomberg's TAX would impact us heavily. There are still meat/produce purveyors in lots of areas of Manhattan. One of our bigger meat customers, Strassburger, is still in the market area around little West 14th St. And we deliver produce, nuts, specialty foods to lots of restaurants in Manhattan.

72% of our deliveries ARE made at night (food must be delivered late evening/early AM so it can be available to the consumers/restaurants by early morning). And the only trucks using the Holland are mostly local "straight" trucks-under 20,000#. The Holland AND the Lincoln are too small to handle over the road trucks or most any semi trailer. Holland clearance is 12'6" and Lincoln is 13'.

Mayor Bloomberg is going to force more people out of Manhattan just with the increase in grocery prices. IF you live in Manhattan and have a car, you are already paying a fortune for garage space/parking. More dollars for the privilege of driving in Manhattan will not impact many. But more dollars for food, through increased freight rates, affects ALL.

Mayor Bloomberg is going to force more people out of Manhattan just with the increase in grocery prices. IF you live in Manhattan and have a car, you are already paying a fortune for garage space/parking. More dollars for the privilege of driving in Manhattan will not impact many. But more dollars for food, through increased freight rates, affects ALL.

well what's annoying the crap out of me is that people in the NY Metro area are looking at NJ as their place to live. as a result home prices have more than doubled in the last several years. i still cannot justify how people live in manhattan...(the other boroughs, i can see the possibility...but not for long either).

i'm getting priced out of an area...and i think i make decent cash!

and to be honest...i'm not sure how strong the cruise industry can stay in our area. i think there are lots of people/tourists/visitors to support it. but when people think of the hassle and the ancillary costs to get to their ship...other ports are looking better. i only like it because i live close to the meadowlands.

just reading all the threads about where to stay in our area pre-cruise has led me to reflect on this. i just hope people enjoy their cruises so much, that they feel the extra effort it took to get here, sleep overnight, tour NYC...etc...would be worth it.

My company makes a tremendous amount of pickups and deliveries in Manhattan, so Mayor Bloomberg's TAX would impact us heavily. There are still meat/produce purveyors in lots of areas of Manhattan. One of our bigger meat customers, Strassburger, is still in the market area around little West 14th St. And we deliver produce, nuts, specialty foods to lots of restaurants in Manhattan.

72% of our deliveries ARE made at night (food must be delivered late evening/early AM so it can be available to the consumers/restaurants by early morning). And the only trucks using the Holland are mostly local "straight" trucks-under 20,000#. The Holland AND the Lincoln are too small to handle over the road trucks or most any semi trailer. Holland clearance is 12'6" and Lincoln is 13'.

By the way the current plan only gives credit for tolls paid by EZ Pass....remember this is all stuck in the NY legislature and has not come close to passing....

Archived