Dining on Crown Princess

tonimari99

OK, looking for some thoughts from those of you that know about this...We are going on the Crown on July 14th and we are down for anytime dining. It sounds like this is the way to go from what everyone says. My question is basically about the seating. I know we could get a table for 2 or 4, but in my experience it has always been fun to be at a table for 6 or 8 and meet new people, and have some conversation. The dining was always a fun part of my trip because of that. Do people still opt for larger tables than their group or do most sit alone with who they are with? Any pros to traditional as opposed to anytime? I just feel like we might miss out on the social aspect if we do anytime. Is this true? Thanks in advance to all of you seasoned veterans for us newbees!

~Toni :)

You can certainly ask to be seated at a large table with others at anytime dining, in fact the maitre d' usually suggests this. We like the options of sometimes dining by ourselves, sometimes at a larger table. The other nice thing is that your table will be full, not half empty as happens a lot these days in traditional. Sometimes people hit it off and decide to dine together again -- but if you don't enjoy your tablemates, you're not stuck with them or a bad waiter for the whole week.

Agree! The dining room configuration on the Diamond (and Sapphire) does not encourage large tables for anytime dining, and as a result felt socially cheated on our Mexican Riviera cruise this past February. The Crown is back to the larger dining rooms and is better as a result. Go for it! Some of our best evenings centered around extended time in the dining room meeting new people.

I know we could get a table for 2 or 4, but in my experience it has always been fun to be at a table for 6 or 8 and meet new people, and have some conversation. The dining was always a fun part of my trip because of that.

I couldn't agree more, Toni. We were on the Crown recently and had anytime dining for the first time and loved it! We really looked forward to meeting new people for dinner every night and making conversation with them. If you hit it off, you can make arrangements to get together again or even attend the after dinner show together; if not, you only have to put up with them for one dinner. :D

Although, I do have to say that one woman we sat with really annoyed us; she was loud, abrasive and whiny. Of course, she was also the only person we got seated with TWICE for dinner! :eek:

Do people still opt for larger tables than their group or do most sit alone with who they are with?

We never had any problems being seated at a large table. The restaurant staff is quite appreciative of passengers that are willing to share a table and they make an effort to have everyone at the table seated at the same time so that they are in the same stage of the meal.

I just feel like we might miss out on the social aspect if we do anytime. Is this true?

If you are looking to make some long term friendships, you may not have as much time to do that but if you are just looking to meet new people and have a chance to talk to as many passengers as possible, Anytime dining is definitely the way to go.

So I am assuming that my group of six can also be seated at a table for six?

I think we will definitely be doing both...

Yes. if a table for six is open when you appear, you'll be seated immediately. If not, you'll be given a buzzer and asked to wait. Wait times occur when you request a table for two, or to seat a group together. That seems pretty obvious, but I though I'd mention it anyway.:p

We were on the Crown that came back on June 8th and also had anytime dining. We were a group of four. If you got there right when the restaurants were opening, they often would put you at a table of four, but if you wait a little longer, they will ask you if it's ok to sit with others. Many we found would say "no" and then they would get a beeper. We always said "yes" and never had a wait. So when we learned the system, we found that if you felt like being at a bigger table, just tell them upfront that you'd like to be seated wih others and often it makes it easier for them.

It's pretty much the same as lunchtime in the dining room since even those with assigned seating for dinner, they still have open seating for breakfast and lunch and then you generally are always put with others unless you are an early bird. I also found at tea time, they tended to put people with groups too, so you really do have a lot of opportunity to mingle if you choose. But if at any time, you don't feel "social", you can always ask for a table for your number in the party.

Just keep in mind that if you go to the early show first and then plan to go to dinner, that is when the longest lines we ever saw would be. Everyone rushing from the show to dinner. So if you can go before that rush, you won't have the wait either. Enjoy your cruise.

Cathy

Archived