Buying a digital camera on-board or in St. Thomas, St. Martin?

We're cruising on the AOS on July 29 and I've been thinking about purchasing an underwater camera. First, any recommendations on the camera? I've been looking at the Pentax Optio W30 -- about $250-$300 stateside. Secondly, are there any deals to be had on the ship or in San Juan, St. Thomas or St. Martin/Maarten? Is it worth waiting to buy until we sail or will the prices be comparable or even better at home? Thanks in advance for your response. We're looking forward to the cruise -- it's our first in 20 years!

We're cruising on the AOS on July 29 and I've been thinking about purchasing an underwater camera. First, any recommendations on the camera? I've been looking at the Pentax Optio W30 -- about $250-$300 stateside. Secondly, are there any deals to be had on the ship or in San Juan, St. Thomas or St. Martin/Maarten? Is it worth waiting to buy until we sail or will the prices be comparable or even better at home? Thanks in advance for your response. We're looking forward to the cruise -- it's our first in 20 years!

St Martin might be cheaper than St Thomas and the ship. What is the order of your port stops?

And usually the downtown stores are cheaper than the dockside stores on St Thamas and St Martin.

Boolchands is on both islands, Royal Caribbean only on St Thomas. The stores will sometimes throw in stuff like memory cards and hard cases.

Have you considered the Olympus waterproofs as well?

The ships usually have a more limited inventory of models than the 2 big camera stores.

St. Martin is on the fourth day. St. Thomas is the day before we come home. Thanks for the tips on the two big stores. I've looked at the Olympus 770 SW as well as the Pentax. I'm going back and forth between the two of them. I like the layout of the Pentax slightly better. But it's almost a tossup. Thanks for your response.

My experience is that St Martin is slightly less than St Thomas and they are both cheapere than the ship. You can check out the pricing on the ship before either island and then on St Martin if you are not wild about Boolchand's price, mumble about buying it on St Thomas at Royal Caribbean store. As I said before, the downtown branches are usually cheaper than the dockside stores.

We have the Olympus SW waterproof. You can check out the results on my album links below for the Freedom, especially the Grand Cayman section where that is all we used (Stingray City and all that)

Great shots. I can't believe how many people were milling around on the Stingray City tour! Hope our tour on Barbados isn't that crowded...we're swimming with the turtles and visiting shipwrecks. I booked that tour outside of RCCL. I'm going to have to look hard at the Olympus. Thanks for the input.

Do loads of research before you go. I have been a shutterbug for many years and decided to go digital.

In January of 2006

I bought a Nikon Digital SLR, skipped the lens that "comes with it" and bought a better one.

In January of 2007

I bought a Canon SD700is Digital Elph

...both at Boolchand's near the dock in St Maartin, both from the same young salesman. I remain very happy with the choices. Each time, I left home knowing exactly what brand and model of camera I wanted; and exactly how much I would have had to pay for it at home.

I prefer the store in St Maartin. The store in St Thomas is too crowded, too loud, and the clerks are not as nice as those in St Maartin. One cannot blame the clerks, though, they have to deal with hoards of tourists who can be difficult to assist.

After both of my purchases, I went through the store, through the back door and took several pictures around the courtyard behind the store just to make sure things worked (while I was near the store). When you are facing the back door, look to the right and you can get a nice photograph of a ship framed in the tree branches. Maybe it will be your ship!

Shipboard choices are very limited for camera shopping.

Good luck, have a wonderful trip, and enjoy your new camera.

Ask to see the warranty card. If is says US warranty you are good. If it says International warranty, run away. It will probably not be honored in the US even though you send it to the manufacturer's service facility.

also if you know what you want check the internet for prices before you go. Most Americans can get in much cheaper on the internet. Canadians and Europeans wind up paying duty on the internet so St Thomas MAY be less expensive.

I would suggest buying it before your cruise so you have time to 'play' with it so you aren't looking for the owners manual wondering where some setting it. Cameras have tons of features in them now plus the battery will probably have to be charged for a few hours before using it anyways.

DH bought the pentax w-20 last year on board. He had seen one on board in Aug. on the Sovereign and decided to check prices at home. We looked online and at every camera store around. We ended up buying on board in Oct on the Freedom. The on board price when you took of the tax since it was duty free turned out to be cheaper(not much just a few$) they gave him 25 free prints so we were able to check it out while on board. The guy in the photo shop took a lot of time to show him all the features and whenever we would see him on the ship or in port he would ask if Dh liked the camera or was having any problems or did he need any help with it. He was wonderful! DH loves that camera and is very happy with it!

Deb

We bought our first digital camera, a Cannon SD, in St. Thomas at one of the dockside stores. They also included a nice case and a bigger memory card. Quite pleased, we went on to another store to look at their merchandise and compare. The salesman told us that the first shop had sold us last year's model and the newer one had better features for the same money. DH went back to the first store and was able to change it to the newer model. We are quite pleased with the camera and the deal, but do your homework first. We should have known what we wanted before hand. Got smoking deals on watches in St. Martin, though. Cameras and watches are much cheaper in the islands than on the ship.

St. Martin or St Thomas are pretty much the same for digital cameras. I have picked up nice digital cameras in both ports. at basically the same price. I shop around until I find the exact camera I am looking for (Brand, Megapixels,. attachments, etc). When I spot the camera, I wait until the owner frames up a picture with his babe. Politely, I ask if I can assist by taking a photo for them, and as soon as he hands it to me I tell them to back up until they walk off the pier. Then I stroll back onto the ship with my new camera. :rolleyes:

The posters who emphasized the importance of advance research, including what the same models would cost in the U.S., are spot on. Never have truer words been said. Once you are in St. Martin (my choice) or St. Thomas, things are too hectic.

I also agree with those who recommend buying the camera in the U.S. That way you should not have any warranty problems. And if you google thoroughly, you will realize that some prices are probably so unbeatable that they won't get any better in the islands. Just type the model number in the search engine and you will end up with plenty of internet merchandizers eager to sell the camera. If you choose wisely, you won't be even paying for shipping.

Consider also the possibility that you will realize that you could have gotten the camera cheaper in the U.S. but feel you have to buy it because you want to take some snorkeling pictures.

Good luck.

I was pricing cameras last fall when on my Caribbean cruise, and since I had done my research beforehand, I realized I could get a better deal from one of the big camera places in NYC. Came home, ordered it online, and had it within a week. Can't beat the prices of those big NYC photo stores like B&H.

We purchased a Pentax Digital, not underwater, onboard our last cruise. Just be careful because ours broke 11 months after we purchased it. Called Pentax and told them what the problem was and they said that the only way to get it fixed was to send it in to them. We just chalked it up to live and learn and purchased another digital (Panasonic) here in the states. Good luck.

Chris

How's the prices in St. Thomas & St. Maarten for memory cards?

Just realized that I forgot to pick another extra up & leaving in AM.

Memory cards are cheaper in the US because the major stores use them as loss leaders with sales, rebates, etc.

As far as pricing back home vs the islands

a) Last month we bought a new Panasonic 16x9 3ccd camcorder. The price in the US varied from $405 (B&H) to $495 (Circuit City & Best Buy). Add sales tax to that plus the cost of the high density MiniDV tapes (still the best quality over the DVD and hard drive models). The same camcorder ranged from $335 at Boolchands on SXM (with 2 DV cassettes and Boolchands case) with no sales tax to $425 at Royal Caribbean on St Thomas, also with 2 tapes and not-as-nice case.

b) In 2005 I bought a brand-new model Panasonic FZ30 superzoom at Boolchands on SXM for $575 with 2 512 cards and a hard case labeled Boolchands. When we got back I noted that the camera was selling for $650-$695 plus tax and no cards or case at the US stores and sites like B&H.

Memory cards are cheaper in the US because the major stores use them as loss leaders with sales, rebates, etc.

You are so right. I recently bought some 2 gig SD cards at Best Buy. For the specific application that I was going to use them for, I really only needed 1 gig cards. However, the 2 gig cards on sale were $10 cheaper than the 1 gigs for the same speed cards.

Go figure.

DON

You are so right. I recently bought some 2 gig SD cards at Best Buy. For the specific application that I was going to use them for, I really only needed 1 gig cards. However, the 2 gig cards on sale were $10 cheaper than the 1 gigs for the same speed cards.

Go figure.

DON

Loss Leaders. They got you into the store.

Be aware of the many different brands, quality, and prices for the same size card. Research these before you leave home, too. I paid less in St Maartin than the same card would have cost in St Thomas.

Don't forget to buy extra memory cards and spare batteries (especially if the camera requires a dedicated battery). You, always, want "one in the camera, and one ready to go into the camera."

St. Martin or St Thomas are pretty much the same for digital cameras. I have picked up nice digital cameras in both ports. at basically the same price. I shop around until I find the exact camera I am looking for (Brand, Megapixels,. attachments, etc). When I spot the camera, I wait until the owner frames up a picture with his babe. Politely, I ask if I can assist by taking a photo for them, and as soon as he hands it to me I tell them to back up until they walk off the pier. Then I stroll back onto the ship with my new camera. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the LAUGH!

I was pricing cameras last fall when on my Caribbean cruise, and since I had done my research beforehand, I realized I could get a better deal from one of the big camera places in NYC. Came home, ordered it online, and had it within a week. Can't beat the prices of those big NYC photo stores like B&H.

Excellent advice. I have been pricing cameras in St Thomas and St Marten for years and their prices are no better than the major camera stores in New York. In many cases the prices in the Caribbean were higher than in New York. Don't fall for all that duty free/tax free crap that they tell all the tourists since it is just nonsense. As mentioned, be sure the camera comes with a U.S. warranty if you reside in the U.S. If a camera comes with an international warranty and you try to get it fixed in the U.S. many manufacturers will not even touch the camera.

What everyone says about research is so true. My DH wanted a new camcorder. Found exactly what he wanted, then looked in the islands. Be very observant, one model # may be slightly different, but still look like what you think you want.

Also, we have found that electronics are not really any cheaper in the islands than they are in the states. DH ended up buying a Panasonic Digital Camcorder off the internet for much less than Best Buy or anything on the islands.

Now - jewelry is a FAR different story - shop shop shop in the islands!!!!

I recommend buying the Canon S3-IS or S5-IS. These are really nice point & shoot digital cameras with huge 12X zoom and image stabilization. The main difference between the S3 & S5 is that the S3 is last years model and takes pictures at 6 megapixels (MP) vs. the S5 @ 8MP.

Here are some reviews...

http://www.shopping.com/xPW-Canon_PowerShot_S3_IS

The S3 can now be found at clearance prices and it's a great camera (IMO). Check out the pictures I took with the S3 on my last cruise.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559062139JKHbmm

This picture and the next give you an idea of what the 12x zoom can do.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2949811840074136004HJJKqI (no zoom)

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2814952710074136004sGPrHq (full zoom)

As far as buying in the islands.... a friend we met on our last cruise bought the Canon S3 in St. Martin after his other one died midway through the cruise. He paid about the same I did back home in MD. I recommend buying from the internet or even your local Best Buy, Circuit City, Target...etc. The price will be about the same and...you'll get time to learn how to use it before the trip.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Archived