Back from 6 Day Bahama Spirit Cruise

NJPrisonCop

just comes down to how a person was raised. regardless of financial/social status...rude people are still rude.

You are oh so right, too bad a fair share does unfortunately come from the tri-state area. But I have met just as many extremely affluent people who you would never know they were any different than yourself unless someone else told you. It is pure upbringing and really does tend to run in how comfortable they are in their own skin. As a teenager I worked as a cashier on Fire Island- ran into a million "I am better than you are" types and had to have others ( Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft, Dom DeLouise, Mayor Edward Koch, Liz Claiborne to name a few) pointed out to me since I didn't even know who they were and they were all just so gracious!

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone.

We are also sailing spirit on the 29th july, with our two children.

13 and 16. Our first cruise. I am sorry to hear about the rude and rowdy teens on your cruise, sometimes other people can just overwhelm an atmosphere. A good point is that the staff was probally more overwhelmed dealing with this bunch and it takes away from the service you would be receiving. We had something similar at a shore hotel last summer that we had stayed at before, but this time there was a family reunion going on, teens so raunchy that we were not comfortable even sitting outside the room, they over ran the pool and would even stand up out of the hot tub trying to see in our patio doors. looking forward to next sunday, my expectations still high.:)

Try to paste it into the signature portion on the "user cp;" I was actually shocked it worked to easily, as I usually am cursed when it comes to technology!

Sorry to hear about your experience at the shore. Sounds like there's a bunch of level-headed, concerned parents on our sailing, so we'll just have to stick together! We've got a roll call going - come check it out!

Took this cruise the previous week. I have to join in the chorus of Anti-Darin-ites. So fake and such a huckster. We simply avoided Bingo and rolled our eyes whenever he came over the loudspeaker.

Speaking of Bingo, Darin did a hard sell on some kind of device that cost something like $75 and would play hundreds of cards automatically. I had no intention of forking my money over for bingo when other people would have had that kind of odds advantage. I wish they just offered simple, low tech bingo.

The Disney day trip is NOT WORTH DOING. We spent $300 to visit the Animal Kingdom. We wound up waiting on line for 2 1/4 hours for the safari in miserably hot weather. Because of long lines, and because Fast Pass times were all too late, we were not able to enjoy any of the other good attractions there. What a waste of $$. The cruise lines ought to negotiate with Disney so that day trippers can have reservations for the rides/attractions via the Fast Pass system. Until that happens (and it may never), don't bother.

Otherwise a great cruise experience.

Took this cruise the previous week. I have to join in the chorus of Anti-Darin-ites. So fake and such a huckster. We simply avoided Bingo and rolled our eyes whenever he came over the loudspeaker.

Speaking of Bingo, Darin did a hard sell on some kind of device that cost something like $75 and would play hundreds of cards automatically. I had no intention of forking my money over for bingo when other people would have had that kind of odds advantage. I wish they just offered simple, low tech bingo.

The Disney day trip is NOT WORTH DOING. We spent $300 to visit the Animal Kingdom. We wound up waiting on line for 2 1/4 hours for the safari in miserably hot weather. Because of long lines, and because Fast Pass times were all too late, we were not able to enjoy any of the other good attractions there. What a waste of $$. The cruise lines ought to negotiate with Disney so that day trippers can have reservations for the rides/attractions via the Fast Pass system. Until that happens (and it may never), don't bother.

Otherwise a great cruise experience.

Summer is a horrible time for Disney (too hot & crowded). If you go at a less busy time of year, it would have been better. Personally I think Disney is too huge to stop by for only one day.

I thank you for your honest review of the spirit... i've been on the spirit a few years ago and found it very nice. I must ask how you were able to decide that the bites on the member of your party was "bed bugs" and not the bug bites from the island. I am not asking this sarcastically. I am concerned because I am scheduled to cruise spirit on 8/18 and I have heard in the past about bed bugs on the spirit and as much as I asked questions about it here everyone said it was not true. What cabin was the bed bugs in if you don't mind me asking? Thanks so much for your help.

You are oh so right, too bad a fair share does unfortunately come from the tri-state area. But I have met just as many extremely affluent people who you would never know they were any different than yourself unless someone else told you. It is pure upbringing and really does tend to run in how comfortable they are in their own skin. As a teenager I worked as a cashier on Fire Island- ran into a million "I am better than you are" types and had to have others ( Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft, Dom DeLouise, Mayor Edward Koch, Liz Claiborne to name a few) pointed out to me since I didn't even know who they were and they were all just so gracious!

Shout out to you! I was raised on Fire Island. Where did you work? I think if you can survive being a waitress on Fire Island, you can survive anything. I have more horror stories from that place!

Does anyone know when "most" schools go back in session? I know my kids start late (after Labor Day) but the cruise is 8/12 and I am hoping some schools start the last week of August and everyone will be at Target buying school supplies...:rolleyes:

Hi Carla,

School generally starts after Labor Day but traditionally the last week of August is a quiet week for travel with kids as they get ready for back-to-school.. I'm on the Spirit 8/18 and I expect lots of families on it.

Maryjo

My sister had an issue with what she believes to be bed bugs. Yes bed bugs. Her, my brother in law, niece and nephew all had bites on them. We did not have this issue, but it was still an issue with our party.

I was going to book a one night cruise to nowhere on the Spirit but now your bedbug story really freaks me out. Did your sister report it so they could check and spray? Can't people bring them home in their belongings?What floor was she on? Maybe I will book another floor and hope for the best? What should I do?

My sister had an issue with what she believes to be bed bugs. Yes bed bugs. Her, my brother in law, niece and nephew all had bites on them. We did not have this issue, but it was still an issue with our party.

I was going to book a one night cruise to nowhere on the Spirit but now your bedbug story really freaks me out. Did your sister report it so they could check and spray? Can't people bring them home in their belongings?What floor was she on? Maybe I will book another floor and hope for the best? What should I do?

The important words were, "she BELIEVES to be bed bugs' bites?

Did anyone see a doctor to confirm this? Did she go ashore and lay on the beach anywhere? They could have been sand fleas' bites.

Did she report the bed bug bites to someone on the ship, so they could fugimate the cabin, or did she silently allow the next passengers on the next cruise to get bitten?

This is very disturbing, there may have or may not have been bed bugs... is there anyway to know for sure? I don't feel like spending my hard earned money and have to lay in a bed at night thinking about bed bugs. I would love to hear from anybody else who was recently aboard the spirit if they encountered this problem. FYI: This is not the first time I have heard people mention Bed Bugs on the Spirit... there were some threads in the past on this but everyone seemed to dismiss them which is why I booked the Spirit for Aug 18. Now I am second guessing my decision.

Well have a nice day everyone.

Maryjo

MJ - Relax, everyone that reported "bed bugs" got them right after visiting GSC. Since you are not visiting GSC, don't worry. I am, the week before your cruise and I plan on bringing bug spray.

I was just on Spirit 2 weeks ago and no bed bug bites. We did not go to GSC in the evening due to the potential mosquito's but that is due to the reaction my son has. It is not worth it to us. We went in the morning and did not have any issues during the day.

MJ - Relax, everyone that reported "bed bugs" got them right after visiting GSC. Since you are not visiting GSC, don't worry. I am, the week before your cruise and I plan on bringing bug spray.

Almost time!!! Last time we were at GSC we didn't even notice any sand fleas. I'm bringing bug spray too, though. In case you haven't heard, the thing to do at GSC is go to the right of where the tender drops you off and keep walking on the rocks. You will get to an absolutely gorgeous beach- totally private except for a few people walking by here and there (and us!!).

• 1 month later...
Shout out to you! I was raised on Fire Island. Where did you work? I think if you can survive being a waitress on Fire Island, you can survive anything. I have more horror stories from that place!

Does anyone know when "most" schools go back in session? I know my kids start late (after Labor Day) but the cruise is 8/12 and I am hoping some schools start the last week of August and everyone will be at Target buying school supplies...:rolleyes:

I was raised there too!! We were year rounders although we went to school on the mainland since we had a house there too! Can't believe I didnt see this sooner.... I was at the Pioneer in Fair Harbor... mom and sis both have houses in Saltaire now... Where were you from!

Archived