things in mexico to buy

majosa

Okay while on my cruise in september i have a couple of friends who want me to pick up a couple bottles of tequila. the kind with the worm in it at the bottom. How much do these cost?

Also what you suggest to buy that is fairly cheap but nice? I have so many co workers and friends who would like souvneirs from there. Thank you!

If you have a stop in Progress, wait until you get there for some of the souveniers. A friend wanted a sombrero for her son, they wanted 30 for the felt ones & 18 for the wicker ones in Cozumel. Found them in Progress of 18 for the felt ones, 7 for the wicker ones.

I bought a bank for my daughter in Cozumel for 12. Found the exact same one in Progresso for 8.

Not sure on the alcohol because we bought ours on the ship. RCI guarentees the lowest price on alcohol If you find it lower, you bring back a card with the price & they will give you back the difference.

Cheap gifts. I picked up nice quality t-shirts in Pogresso that were 6 for $20.

H bought back some cute ink pens for coworkers that were 1.00 each.

The colorful MX blankets are very inexpensive. Windchimes, dream catchers, a zillion other small items that are pretty, unique, and very affordable. Just about anything they can't get at home would be appreciated, I'm sure. I always come back with a couple of nightshirts for myself - big scooped neckline...thin and comfy, all cotton. Usually find them for something like 2/$10-12.

Something I always bring back to friends is from the ship, not the ports. They have a tall box of either 4-5 rum cakes. Each cake is in it's own small box in the big box. Soooo good, and everybody seems to like them. That way, you have individual rum cakes to give as gifts.:)

Vanilla .....

John

Right, John! I can't believe I forgot to mention vanilla. It's SO much better and stronger than anything in the states. I use about half as much in recipes. The "Danncy" brand is the best, and doesn't have that weird ingredient in it that could be harmful.

Okay while on my cruise in september i have a couple of friends who want me to pick up a couple bottles of tequila. the kind with the worm in it at the bottom. How much do these cost?

Also what you suggest to buy that is fairly cheap but nice? I have so many co workers and friends who would like souvneirs from there. Thank you!

The one with the worm in the bottle is not tequila but mezcal. Mezcal can be fairly inexpensive. If they are only interested in a display bottle, go to a liquor store near you and look for mezcal. Gusano Rojo is an inexpensive brand that has a cute picture of a red worm on the lable. I personally wouldn't use my duty free liquor ration on Mezcal.

All Tequila is Mezcal but not all Mezcal can be Tequila. Tequila must come from Jalisco or parts of surrounding states by Mexican Law. Tequila is made from 100% Agave while mezcal can have nearly half "other sugars" added to the process. Tequila must be bottled at the distillery.

If they are interested in true tequila there will be a huge variety to choose from with prices starting around $15 and up (way up). Porfidio makes a great tequila and some of the bottles have a hand blown cactus in the bottom of the bottle.

Click Here for a link to one of many web sites about Tequila.

Charlie

Cotton. I use almost the same amount of the Mexican vanilla. Just makes the french toast even richer. The aroma is heavenly.

:D I agree about the aroma, but....sometimes a good thing is too much of a good thing. I really messed up my favorite brown sugar pound cake by using the same amount.

I agree with everyone about the vanilla. It so good and so reasonable as compared to home. The vanilla bottles are small enough to buy quite a few without bulking up your suitcase. I have also bought silver for people. Just take a good look at it before you buy and make sure it's marked 925. The silver pieces are heavier there and typically cheaper than here.

Right, John! I can't believe I forgot to mention vanilla. It's SO much better and stronger than anything in the states. I use about half as much in recipes. The "Danncy" brand is the best, and doesn't have that weird ingredient in it that could be harmful.

That ingredient is COUMARIN.

That ingredient is COUMARIN. I think it is a blood thinner. . .

oh lawdy noooooo. Don't buy them that! All it's good for is sitting on a shelf and collecting dust. That said, the bottles come in varying sizes and you get get them fairly inexpensively. $8-12. It's Mezcal Gusano Rojo, and usually has a little serape wrapped around the bottle. Nasty Nasty Nasty tasting stuff ... and be warned, those bottles usually leak!

vanilla is an excellent choice if they bake. (My preference is Azteca brand). But if it's tequila they want, try Aha Toro (about $24) comes in reposado and anejo (good sipping tequila). For something unique I usually bring back Agavero for gifts, the bottle is shaped like an agave plant. (tequila liqueur). The Turin 1800 tequila candies aren't bad either. :o

The windchimes are a good gift to bring back in quantity because there are a few different shapes (sea horses, moon & stars, etc). Also, they are completely flat when packaged up. Usually you can deal a 3 for $ price. I have one hanging inside my kitchen window ... I love listening to the gentle tinkle when the window is open. Available at jsut about any little souvenir shop.

My daughter went to Mexico on a missions trip last year and is going again the end of this month. Several of her group bought the Mexican blankets and that's what I want this time. The vanilla was the same I can buy at Food Lion and didn't seem different to me. I'll have her look for the brand mentioned here. She also bought some nice jewelry. She didn't have time to shop too much, maybe 1 hour or so on the way to the airport at the end of her trip. Hope she can get me that blanket!

Can you get the vanilla in Costa Maya?

Yep.

And as far as the coumarin goes in Mexican vanilla, just because the label doesn't state it contains the product doesn't mean it's not in the vanilla. Mexican labeling laws are a bit different than here in the states.

And to be truthful, I think you would have to drink like a quart of so of vanilla cut with coumarin to do any damage to your bood. Coumarin is sometimes added to the cheaper brands of vanilla as it has a similar taste and coloring of vanilla extract and cuts down on the cost of production.

Dianne

Can you get the vanilla in Costa Maya?

Vanilla is available in Costa Maya at several shops. I found this port to be more expensive than Cozumel. My favorite vanilla is from Los Cinco Soles in Cozumel. :)

for myself, and EVERYONE else..As I started to world travel, and cruise umpteen years ago..I thought it was THE thing to do..and as those lucky recip folk of my gifts traveled, they seemd to forget "MY" souv-ies..'cuz they were always at the beach, visiting museums, or busy drinking. I spent a good deal of my time shopping for just the right thing for every single person I worked with..10 to 12 per. plus family..I realized I'd spent all MY time doing for them, and spending more $$ than I did spend on myself. ie: a 2 week tour in europe..$200;;wk cruise $100, when the dollar was strong, and I was single! I never got a single thing in return, even for house or pet sitting. Even those that asked for whatever and they would "pay" me...I was at the beach, museums, or busy drinking..,]So..I learned my lesson.. And have $$ to spend on crusies, trips, and have nice jewelry to show for my shopping. Yep, it's allll about me now..and I don't shop for anyone else nor do I feel guilty about they're having to stay home to drink, bowl, golf, fish, gamble, and not have vacation $$$. Sorry folks..just how I feel..And we stayed friends anyway..go figure.

Archived