Alaska book - Princess

santamaria

We just got out our "cruise companion" and map from our 2000 Alaska trip with Princess. We used it then to follow along with our location - and to try to catch some of the lighthouses that can be seen along the way. It was fun to follow as we went along.

We will be cruising this time next week!!!

We bought ours on board ship and thoroughly enjoyed it .The map is obtainable separately . It was $20 on board the Island Princess . The Alaskan Couponsaver book was also a help and a terific bargain and worth getting as well .

You are going to want the Alaskan Cruise Companion.

The website is a little off - the new book has information on Whittier and has a different cover.

I would just call 800-Princess. Cost is $25 to have it mailed to the house or $20 on the ship.

[quote name='chrob']The web-site shows 2 books. We are travelling from Whittier to Vancouver on Star Princess next August. Which one would be best for us?[/QUOTE]

I gave the website in order that you amy not have to go via Princess[I had read on this board that Princess were out of them]

Theres not much difference in the 2 books- Whittier of course is shown on the new one because Princess has switched to Whittier from Seward this year.[not much info on Whittier as yet]

The new one is more colorful but the info is much the same as the previous editions...

However if you want the newest 2004 edition, perhaps Princess is your best bet.

Would like to see the other cruise lines adopt this book as well-IMHO -its the best book for cruisers to Alaska, out there.

Lu

Coral.

Unfortunately Princess have first call on this edition- Thery have entered into an agreement with Joe Upton and thats why their name is all over the book.

His website gives info on trips and interactive maps on the Inside Passage cruises.

Princess will let you have the book and what wil expedite it is if you can quote them your Princess #

They let me have it within 5 days... I dont know how long folks are waiting for it now as I have seen some posts that say,Princess are waiting for a new printing.

If you are sailing with them [I am not this year] they should have them on sale onboard but if like me,you enjoy planning your cruise, then call them and request a copy. $20 plus about $5 postage

Lu

Luapram - I actually have the book (several versions actually).

You indicated that you gave a website where someone could get the book (Alaska Cruise Companion) with out going through Princess and I was just indicating that the website you pointed people to for the Cruise Companion book actually points them to Princess. If I misunderstood you - I am sorry.

Coral

You are right- alaskcruise.com is the home page for Joe Upton and the 'Coastal Companion' book which preceded the one done for Princess..

However as I pointed out this webpage does offer an interactive map for the cruise.

Sorry about the confusion.

Lu

Giantfan13

They are basically same book- just been updated with color etc.. I have used them all.
In the latest one-Joe Upton has expanded it to incorporate Seattle and Whittier but tis is the book that I used to use when I was travelling on the Alaska Ferry between Bellingham and Skagway.
The map that accompanies the book is marked with 'waypoints' which correspond to the book and if used correctly can be a great assistance to the 'cruiser' or traveller who wishes to know various pointers on their trip.

For instance Joe points out the significance of Seymour Narrows to cruise ships out of Vancouver and how ships leaving and arriving at Vancouver have their time determined by the tides at Seymour Narrows.

He points out the place further up Discovery Passage where whales 'rub' against the shoreline.

As you can tell I greatly appreciate a book like this because it enriches any trip that I make,north or south.

Lu

Archived