Waiters wearing shorts or jeans.

islahopper

I was in a fine dining resterant yesterday and it was dress down day for a local charity. The employees make a donation to the charity and are allowed to wear shorts or jeans for the day. The service was fast and friendly and the meal was great. At no time did the employees dress affect my enjoyment of my meal. How many of you would have your cruise ruined if CCL did this onboard? It would not bother me at all, and no the resterant was not Burger King. Anyway, just food for thought. Have a great day.

I would feel disappointed if I was taking my girl or wife out for a "special evening". It's not Hooters.

Cotton. I don't think I've asked this before, but did you know Willie Colhn who was a chef in NO about thirty years ago? His wife's name was Gerta and they had a cute little restaurant in Gretna on the west bank. Fantastic food.

Cotton. Any idea what happened to them and where they are? I remember his favorite day off was on a boat fishing and chowing down on Popeye's fried chicken. LOL They used to join us after closing and drinking Jaegermeister. Of course that was a long, long time ago.

I was in a fine dining resterant yesterday and it was dress down day for a local charity. The employees make a donation to the charity and are allowed to wear shorts or jeans for the day. The service was fast and friendly and the meal was great. At no time did the employees dress affect my enjoyment of my meal. How many of you would have your cruise ruined if CCL did this onboard? It would not bother me at all, and no the resterant was not Burger King. Anyway, just food for thought. Have a great day.

A very nice idea and for a worthy cause I'm sure. However, on a cruise ship it isn't the norm. On deck, the drink waiters are in shorts and that doesn't bother me, BUT when they advertise the "fancy" dining room I expect the waiters to be dressed for the surroundings.

A few months ago DH & I went to try the "newest, chicest, supposedly most delicious and wonderful" restaurant in town. While I won't review the whole experience (very bad) I can't help but always remember that one of the weirdest things I saw there that night was that although most of the patrons were appropriately dressed (cocktail dresses on ladies, jacket and tie for guys), the waiters were wearing raggedy looking golf shirts, jeans, and white sneakers. It really made an impression on me and not one that was good. I mean, at a place that two people can EASILY drop upwards of $100 just on food, I expect my waiter to look like a waiter, not a gas station attendant.

Although this could have just as easily been added to the unscientific "Poll" thread, I'll go with it anyway.

Islahopper, if it hadn't been for charity and you went into that "fine dining restaurant" and the wait staff was in shorts/jeans would you have had the same reaction?

We had a "Crew Uniform Swop" party onboard the original Island Princess to raise money for a orphanage in Puerto Rica

The crew had to make a donation to attend & wear the uniform of someone from a different department & the opposite sex

Seeing the officers dressed up as salon girls & waiters as cabin stewardess was hilarious. It was the best crew party I every attended. Even the Captain made a very brief appearance dressed as the Social Hostess :eek:

Disclaimer - No passengers were harmed during the course of the party & no ones cruise was ruined as a result ;) ;)

For ALL to know....

My buddy just got back on Saturday off the Elation... the capers read as follows:

The suggested attire for this evening is "Casual" Please no shorts or beach wear to be worn to dinner.

At no where on the capers does it say ANYTHING about jeans... just shorts and beach wear.

And for Formal night this is how it reads:

Proper attire requested. No shorts or beach wear PLEASE!

Congrats to the OP who has decided to revive an old subject once again. Stick your knife in and have a twist. This discussion isn't going to end the argument. It's just more bytes wasted. How about a real and constructive discussion instead of beating an old horse just for the sake of it?

Let's rank this on a scale of 0 (unimportant, ie the colour of the gum on the bottom of my shoe) to 5 (important, ie troops being killed in Afghanistan), I'm going to rank this discussion a 0.

Archived