Coral Cuts - cleaning tip

diveoz

It happens to even the most experienced divers. You get back on the boat or shore after an awsome time and you find a scrape on your arm, leg, or wherever.

Normal thought is to ignore it, because that's what you would do with a normal cut.

But a coral cut is not normal. With them come passengers in the form of coral polyps, the animals who build and live in corals.

Being that they are now in the cut the risk of a very nasty infection is very high.

The best time to clean them is immediately before they scab over. To do this you will need a toothbrush and betadyne. Scrub it well and you'll be good to go.

If you don't spot it till after it is scabbed it will still need to be scrubbed. Soak it in hot water to soften the scab. Then scrub off the scab and continue to scrub the wound again with betadyne.

If you can' soak it use the brush with betadyne and scrub the scab completely off and continue scrubbing the affected area.

Parents check your kids when they get out of the water. They won't like the after scab remedies.

None of the above are fun, but coral infections are horrible to treat.

No, talk to your pharmacist about OTC alternatives. Some sort of antimicrobal should be in the first aid kit of anybody swimming around corals.

BTW... Toothbrush should be firm... not soft!

One word of advice, while the Betadine scrub is good... I just used on an old spot that kept opening. Be very careful... I was clumsy enough to spill it.... And it's not pretty when spilled on Carpet:eek: lol.... I still have spots I can't get out..... :mad:

One word of advice, while the Betadine scrub is good... I just used on an old spot that kept opening. Be very careful... I was clumsy enough to spill it.... And it's not pretty when spilled on Carpet:eek: lol.... I still have spots I can't get out..... :mad:

Kinda like spilling red wine as well... Opps!!!

And also.... try not to pee on it.. that only works for a few types of stings... I remember when I scraped my calf... wife says "Do you want me to pee on it?" and I about died just thinking about her doing that... sure made the sting stop while I laughed.

My brother was scratch/cut by coral while snorkeling years ago. When he got him it was getting worse and words. His father-in-law/doctor told him to do the usual first aid methods and not to worry unless a red stripe went up his arm. Next day - red stripe and off to the ER. They called in all the med students to see this unusual infection. Put him in a plaster cast.

Yes, be careful. Plus, if you touch the coral, you damage it.

Archived