Help w/NYC Hotel

jdkey

We are going out of Cape Liberty in April. Planning a couple of days early arrival and sightseeing in NYC. Tour leaving from Times Sq. 2nd day.

my questions are:

1. How much for taxi from Newark Airport to Midtown Manhattan then to Cape Liberty on Cruise day.

2. New Howard Johnson's in Midtown w.36th st is it ok hotel s\clean is main priority not fancy.

3. Is it within walking distance to Times sq.?

I have read and reread many threads on this so I am sorry if these questions have been answered. I looked at hotels out in Jersey City but wow the cost!

might a well be in close to where we are going to spend the 2 days.

Thanks for any help on this I know I can count on CC folks.

Deb

We are going out of Cape Liberty in April. Planning a couple of days early arrival and sightseeing in NYC. Tour leaving from Times Sq. 2nd day.

my questions are:

1. How much for taxi from Newark Airport to Midtown Manhattan then to Cape Liberty on Cruise day.

2. New Howard Johnson's in Midtown w.36th st is it ok hotel s\clean is main priority not fancy.

I have read and reread many threads on this so I am sorry if these questions have been answered. I looked at hotels out in Jersey City but wow the cost!

Deb

1) see threads on NYC

2) i have found that "clean" is dependant on every individual

3) HoJo on 36th is 6 blocks south or Times Sq, which is at 42nd, but you are located on the west side by the lincoln tunnel. it's definitely walkable.

I stayed at the Affinia Dumont on my recent stay to NYC. It was very clean, walking distance to Empire State and Macys. But, if you want something in or near times square, try the Sheraton. I walked it the Sheraton times square when I was there and it was beautiful. Clean, great amenities, and good location. I would stay there next time I visit NYC.

depending on the hotel it will costyou about $60.00 for a cab from EWR to NYC. Try any NY based car service they will do it for the same or slight less.

The cab to Cape Liberty is a problem. NY cabs are NOT required to take you there and if they do you and they agree what the amount is and they tend to overcharge. Try any NY based car service which should charge $50.00 or less. (try Arecibo and see what they say)....good luck have directions to the Port with you.

Smeyer - do you use Arecibo from Manhattan, or just Brooklyn? Maybe I should try them out next since people seem to be having so much trouble with Carmel lately. I should call them and see how much they would charge from Manhattan to Newark.

I got the Hotel Edison for $210 per night for a twin. I loved the Art Deco interior of the hotel. There is also Super 8 right at Times Square that is supposed to be reasonable.

Transportation to Cape Liberty was a definite problem. I checked about 6 cab companies and was quoted anywhere from $250 to 450, as they all wanted to do a tour, not just simple transport, and they look at the meter and double it, even though you aren't in the cab for the return. They aren't allowed to pick up fares in New Jersey. I checked limo companies but with a 29", a 22" and a carry-on each, (for a 2 week cruise with formal wear, etc.) my friend and I were afraid our luggage wouldn't fit in a sedan. I found New York Transportation that quoted me $98 from Manhattan to Cape Liberty in a van, then on debarkation day it was $110 from Cape Liberty to JFK. That was Oct '06

Good luck!

my questions are:

Deb

Deb,

A taxi from Newark Airport to Manhattan is going to cost between $60 and $70.

And, give Priceline.com a try, you'll more than likely get a nicer hotel for less money.

I haven't stayed in the HoJo but, you're right near the Lincoln Tunnel enterance and exit and it's going to be very heavy traffic in that area. And while you are in walking distance to Times Square, I'm going to restate to check out priceline.com and see if you can't find a better deal.

I'll leave it at that

I would check out priceline. ****Star Hotel Winning bids are currently going for;

Intercontinental Barley's $120 and $110

Hilton $130

Grand Hyatt $130

The link below (BiddingForTravel.com) shows the winning bids people have gotten in just about every city, and country. I use it for bidding priceline all the time. Just got the Hyatt in Disneyland for $48 a night.

Keep in mind the winning bids for New York will probably go down in Sept/Oct.

http://p070.ezboard.com/New-York-Sta...ersey? page=1

Archived