Extending stay in LA area post cruise

cvschmitt

We have reservations at the Jamaica Bay Inn (Marina Del Ray) for a few days after disembarking in LA. (thanks CJW for your recommendations on this board)

My DH was previously stationed in Long Beach many years ago and we would like to take a look around Long Beach before heading north to hotel. In looking at the port site, I believe that Enterprise rental is there?

We would like to rent a vehicle at the port, drive over to Long Beach and spend some time sightseeing there before checking in at the hotel.

Assuming this is possible, what would be a good time and route to leave Long Beach to avoid traffic and get back to Marina Del Ray? Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Carol

Carol,

You're getting in on a Saturday? I don't think time of day will make that much of a difference...I'd say whenever you're done touring Long Beach, hop on the 405 North to the 90 West, left on Mindanao across Lincoln to Admiralty and turn right and take it around the Marina to your hotel...it's about as direct a route as you can get...and IF you hit any traffic, well, c'est la vie...It really shouldn't be all that bad...

Have fun...

Thanks for the quick reply Bruin Steve and thanks for the directions, too.

We will be getting in on a Friday morning so I was wondering how long we should stay in or when to leave Long Beach so as not to get caught up in work day traffic.

Carol

Unfortunately, on a Friday, there's bound to be some traffic no matter when you go...I'd still take that same route, just prepare for it to bog down a bit...unless you stay well nto the evening hours...

but, really, it's not worth worrying about...so what if it takes you an extra half an hour?

Okay, great. It's just that I've read so much on these boards about LA traffic that I thought I should check with someone who knows.

Really looking forward to our time in LA area. I've only been to San Diego prior to this. My DH was up and down the coast when he was stationed at Long Beach, but that was a long time ago and things have changed so much.

I want to thank you Steve, Curt, and everyone else who has taken time to post such great information about LA.

Thanks, Carol

I wouldn't go that way.

When you leave the Enterprise outlet, go north on N. Harbor Blvd. and watch for the signs that say either 47 east or Long Beach. You want to go across the Vincent Thomas Bridge toward Terminal Island (so it may say this instead). Go across Terminal Island staying on 47 as it changes names to West Ocean Blvd. and stay on that all the way into downtown Long Beach (don't get diverted onto 710-Long Beach Fwy. north). Ocean Blvd. is the main drag through downtown Long Beach. Depending when he was in the Navy, he may not see much he recognizes. The old Pike is gone and replaced by a new shopping center called the Pike, and there are many new condos and hotels along here near the convention center. If you want to see the Queen Mary take a right off Ocean on Queensway. To get to the new Aquarium, turn right off of Ocean onto Pine, then right on West Shoreline and watch for the signs for parking.

Once you are done in Long Beach, get onto the 710 (Long Beach Fwy) and take that to the 405 (San Diego Fwy) north, then take the Marina Fwy (90) west to the Marina del Rey area. Plan to be on the freeway no later than 2PM, or plan to stay in Long Beach until after 7:30PM if you don't want to fight the traffic.

Alternatively you could drive the whole way on surface streets by taking Pacific Coast Hwy (Hwy 1) north from Long Beach to Marina del Rey. It can be very crowded too, and of course there are many lights on this route, but it is sometimes better than sitting in the parking lot called the freeway on a Friday afternoon in LA....

I don't know if you want to be transporting your luggage while you're sightseeing. Long Beach has some interesting sights (my family loved the Aquarium) so that's a great idea. You can stay for dinner and then hit the freeway and hope it's quieted down by then (after 7 or 8pm).

Thanks Splinter & Cruisin' Chick. We plan on renting an SUV that can hold our luggage while we visit Long Beach.

My husband was there over 30 years ago, probably closer to 40, so I'm sure you're right about the fact that there isn't going to be much he may recognize, but it will be fun.;)

Archived