Bear Watching - another question

bluedaisy

I know a lot has been talked about bear watching and the best locations to do so. But, I'm still a bit confused. I'll be in Ketchikan on August 15 and dont know which is the best place to see bears. The cruise has a Neets Bay Bear Watch, which is about $100 (pp) less expensive than any of the individual tours which go to other places. I'm willing to spend the extra money if its truly worth it and I'm going to get a better experience. I just need some advice from those that have been there before.

Here are the options I have so far:

- Celebrity Cruises - Neets Bay Bear Watch

- Family Air Tours - Anan Observatory

- Southeast Aviation - Anan Creek

- Alaska Seaplane Tours - Prince of Wales Island

- Southeast Aviation - Fish Creek Wildlife Observation Deck

(Island wings was unavailable)

Which is the best on August 15? Are there other tours that I haven't checked out yet? Are the independent tour locations worth the extra cost? Which would you choose? Thank you! :)

First thing you might want to do is to check with the private vendors for Anan to see whether they have permits for the day you plan to be in Ketchikan. We just did that last week and found that none of them had permits available for the day we are there. So check that first. I think Traitors Cove or Neets Bay will be the two that the bear experts will recomm for 8/15, but I will let them chime in. Good luck.

First thing you might want to do is to check with the private vendors for Anan to see whether they have permits for the day you plan to be in Ketchikan. We just did that last week and found that none of them had permits available for the day we are there. So check that first. I think Traitors Cove or Neets Bay will be the two that the bear experts will recomm for 8/15, but I will let them chime in. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I've already done that and the ones I listed have availability. Island Wings was the only company that told me they didn't have flights available on that date.

We did the Neets Bay Bear Watch and it was great. You ride a float plane each way, about 20 minutes, to a salmon hatchery and watch the bears and eagles chow down on salmon for a very long time. On the path back to the plane we encountered a MAMA Bear and her cub just sitting in the woods watching us.

We did the Neets Bay Bear Watch and it was great. You ride a float plane each way, about 20 minutes, to a salmon hatchery and watch the bears and eagles chow down on salmon for a very long time. On the path back to the plane we encountered a MAMA Bear and her cub just sitting in the woods watching us.

how long is the tour including plane ride?

Archived