Canada And New England???????

HELLO EVERYONE I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT THIS PORTS OF CALL.

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR OPINION ABOUT WHAT IS THE BEST TO DO AND EAT IN EVERY PORTS

NEW YORK...................

HALIFAX CANADA.............

SAINT JOHN...................

BAR HARBOR MAINE...................

BOSTON.........................

NEW PORT RHODE ISLAND...........

THANK YOU ALL THIS HELP I MUCH APPRECIATED.

:cool:

HELLO EVERYONE I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT THIS PORTS OF CALL.

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR OPINION ABOUT WHAT IS THE BEST TO DO AND EAT IN EVERY PORTS

NEW YORK...................

HALIFAX CANADA.............

SAINT JOHN...................

BAR HARBOR MAINE...................

BOSTON.........................

NEW PORT RHODE ISLAND...........

THANK YOU ALL THIS HELP I MUCH APPRECIATED.

:cool:

In Saint John, New Brunswick you might enjoy lobster at Steamers which is directly across the street from the cruise port or Billy's Seafood which is located in the uphill end of the City Market, just outside the upper doors. You can also get a nice lunch at Hollys Cafe which is located just at the top of the escalator in Market Square.

For things to do check out www.cruisesaintjohn.com

In Saint John, New Brunswick you might enjoy lobster at Steamers which is directly across the street from the cruise port or Billy's Seafood which is located in the uphill end of the City Market, just outside the upper doors. You can also get a nice lunch at Hollys Cafe which is located just at the top of the escalator in Market Square.

For things to do check out www.cruisesaintjohn.com

Yummy...

That sound good thanks for the advice.:)

Boston: if you are there on a weekday like we will be in '08 I am going to do the "DUCKS" tour and then just walk the Freedom trail, go to Fanueil Hall (DH has never been to Boston)... traffic will be awful and the port is not close to downtown although when I was there on a Sunday in '03 they had shuttle from dock to some downtown location... just be careful of time as traffic will be bad and if you are not on ship tour....if you are not familiar with Boston you can get messed up

Halifax: Don't plan a thing unless you want to go to touristy Peggy's Cover (lovely but the lighthouse picture is on a gazillion websites and it looks just like that).. there is so much to do right at the port area/waterfron and Citadel is just up Spring Garden St. Maritime Museum is very interesting, lots of seafood places for a great lunch and many locals with harbor cruises which is a great way to see this huge and lovely harbor. If Bluenose II is in port you can make advance ressies.

Boston: if you are there on a weekday like we will be in '08 I am going to do the "DUCKS" tour and then just walk the Freedom trail, go to Fanueil Hall (DH has never been to Boston)... traffic will be awful and the port is not close to downtown although when I was there on a Sunday in '03 they had shuttle from dock to some downtown location... just be careful of time as traffic will be bad and if you are not on ship tour....if you are not familiar with Boston you can get messed up

Halifax: Don't plan a thing unless you want to go to touristy Peggy's Cover (lovely but the lighthouse picture is on a gazillion websites and it looks just like that).. there is so much to do right at the port area/waterfron and Citadel is just up Spring Garden St. Maritime Museum is very interesting, lots of seafood places for a great lunch and many locals with harbor cruises which is a great way to see this huge and lovely harbor. If Bluenose II is in port you can make advance ressies.

Thanks Caroline that information will be very usefull...

Also is my first time in Boston, we will be there on friday.

Thank you very much.:)

Caroline,

What is bluenose II?

The Bluenose is the sailing schooner that is featured on the back of the Canadian dime. It was a famous wooden schooner that was built in Lunnenburg, Nova Scotia in the early twenties and at the time was the fastest in the world. It won many races and couldn't be beaten. The Bluenose ll is a replica of her famous predecessor and is used for charters, weddings and to promote tourism in Nova Scotia. It is quite a sight under full sail.

Ouch!!! It's called Newfoundland and Labrador. It's like saying

Massa Chusetts :o

Hey guys. Don't be so quick to criticize. Joseph is from Mexico. How would you be doing in Spanish?

We met on our cruise roll call.

Correcting a place name is common on these boards and totally acceptable. Responses with corrections are welcome so we can learn from them and I'm sure the OP meant no ill wishes. I've travelled extensively in Europe, including Spain, and appreciated being guided in pronunciation.

Correcting a place name is common on these boards and totally acceptable. Responses with corrections are welcome so we can learn from them and I'm sure the OP meant no ill wishes.

I guess it was the "ouch!" that sounded critical. No problems with corrections.

We've just returned from a Holland America Maasdam Historic Coasts 7-day cruise, Boston to Boston.

In Newport, RI, we went to the bus station (a short walk from the pier) and caught the trolley to the Cliff Walk, a lovely seaside walkway where you can see the huge mansions facing the sea. You may need to ask the driver or in the office where you purchase tickets about which trolley to take and the name of the stop. From the Cliff Walk, you can walk down the Forty Steps almost to the ocean. We visited the Marble House, where we received audio headsets to listen to at our own pace while touring the mansion.

In Portland, ME, my husband took an independent whale watching tour ($40) and saw yellow finned dolphin, but no whales (in early July). We walked off the pier to Long Wharf to Mainely Tours and got on the 11:30 harbour tour for 1.5 hours. Very cold and windy on the top deck, but warmer below. Saw gorgeous lighthouses, including the Portland Head Light. Great captain/guide who explained lots of history about the harbour. Approximately $15 each or so.

In St. John (New Brunswick - there's also a Saint John, Newfoundland, but we didn't go there), we rented a car and drove to the Bay of Fundy in St. Martin's to visit the sea caves there. Huge caves carved out by the powerful tides. Also a nice little restaurant there serving chowder, but some of the ship tours go there also by bus, so watch out for crowds. Also drove up to the Fundy Trail - great picnic spots and overlooks where you can pull over for a fantastic view, or you can go hiking.

In Halifax, NS, we again rented a car. Halifax is a fairly large city, so make sure you get good directions when driving. We drove up to Peggy's Cove - picturesque, and just like a postcard; about a 45 minute drive from Halifax. Our family enjoyed walking around on the smooth rocks and watching the splashing waves against the rocks. Quaint fishing village nearby. It was rainy and chilly, so you may want to take a light jacket. We drove back into Halifax to the Fairview Cemetary to see the Titanic graves, then to the Maritime Museum which featured exhibits about area shipwrecks. Halifax can be quite hilly, almost like San Francisco.

In Bar Harbor, we tendered in and had a short uphill walk to purchase tickets to Acadia National Park and took the Island Explorer bus (courtesy of L. L. Bean's support of the natural gas-powered transportation system) and explored the park.

In Boston, we took a taxi from the cruise terminal and visited Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Not crowded at all in the morning, but at lunchtime, the area was packed and very hot. We walked from there to Paul Revere's House and beyond that to the Old North Church. Also walked through the Public Gardens. Took the subway to Fenway Park. One-way fares on the subway (Charlie Cards) are approximately $1.70 or so or you can buy other types of passes. There are ticket kiosks as you enter the stations.

Just a few ideas for you. Enjoy your trip!

In St. John (New Brunswick - there's also a Saint John, Newfoundland, but we didn't go there)

Just to mention it, because they are picky about it out there...

For Saint John, NB (New Brunswick) they never abbreviate the saint and St. John's, NL (Newfoundland and Labrador) where they also abbreviate the name. Notice that there is an apostrophe s for the one in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Glad that your enjoyed yourself.

Hi Springdale,

How far away is Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market from where the cruise docks? I was hoping that the dock was near the aqurium because from there it is only a short walk to Faneuil.

Any info would be great.

Jeanne

Just to mention it, because they are picky about it out there...

For Saint John, NB (New Brunswick) they never abbreviate the saint and St. John's, NL (Newfoundland and Labrador) where they also abbreviate the name. Notice that there is an apostrophe s for the one in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Glad that your enjoyed yourself.

The reason we are so picky is because the mixups are common and can be quite costly----as in flying to the wrong city, renting your car in St. John's Nfld when you are really docking in Saint John, NB-------little things like that. That is one of the reasons we are so quick to correct the confusion with regard to the two cities on this board.-----Not to make you feel bad, but to save someone from making a costly mistake.

The reason we are so picky is because the mixups are common and can be quite costly----as in flying to the wrong city, renting your car in St. John's Nfld when you are really docking in Saint John, NB-------little things like that. That is one of the reasons we are so quick to correct the confusion with regard to the two cities on this board.-----Not to make you feel bad, but to save someone from making a costly mistake.

I used to occassionly fly for work from Washington DC to Melbourne, FL, almost always with a connection in Atlanta. Looked one day and saw my connection was in Los Angeles:confused: - on the way to Melbourne, Vic, Australia:). Like a dummy I spoke up - in hind sight I should have just played dumb and had an Australian vacation!

• 2 weeks later...
In Saint John, New Brunswick you might enjoy ...

Hi, My husband and I will be in your lovely city on Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 for the day and will celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. My brother-in-law and his wife will be with us. He is a deacon, and at 5 pm, the same time we were married years ago, I've asked him to bless our marriage vows. He was best man back then. My husband does not know about this. ;) I have researched a little and found The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on Waterloo Street. Can you tell me if the church is open at that time of evening on a Tuesday as it would be lovely to be in church for the occasion. As we honeymooned in Ireland the first time with my Irish family, we thought we would hit O'leary's on Princess Street afterwards for a drink or two to celebrate and hear some tunes. :p Is it overly crowded with the tours? Is music there on a Tuesday? Any information is appreciated. Looking forward to our trip.

In Saint John, New Brunswick you might enjoy ...

Hi, My husband and I will be in your lovely city on Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 for the day and will celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. My brother-in-law and his wife will be with us. He is a deacon, and at 5 pm, the same time we were married years ago, I've asked him to bless our marriage vows. He was best man back then. My husband does not know about this. ;) I have researched a little and found The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on Waterloo Street. Can you tell me if the church is open at that time of evening on a Tuesday as it would be lovely to be in church for the occasion. As we honeymooned in Ireland the first time with my Irish family, we thought we would hit O'leary's on Princess Street afterwards for a drink or two to celebrate and hear some tunes. :p Is it overly crowded with the tours? Is music there on a Tuesday? Any information is appreciated. Looking forward to our trip.

What a wonderful surprise for your husband!!! I have been to the Cathedral a few times for christenings and funerals and it a beautiful church---redecorated a few years ago in lovely, soft pastel colours. I have a phone number for the church office for you---506-653-6820. You may be able to arrange some special touches with them.

The phone number for O'Leary's Pub is 506-634-7135. I have never been in but I know it is quite a popular pub in the area. Please remember when you are calling that we are on Atlantic Time which is one hour later than Eastern Time. Have a wonderful trip!!!!

Same thing seems to happen with the Caribbean islands of St. John, USVI and St. John's, Antigua.

What a wonderful surprise for your husband!!! I have been to the Cathedral a few times for christenings and funerals and it a beautiful church---redecorated a few years ago in lovely, soft pastel colours. I have a phone number for the church office for you---506-653-6820. You may be able to arrange some special touches with them.

The phone number for O'Leary's Pub is 506-634-7135. I have never been in but I know it is quite a popular pub in the area. Please remember when you are calling that we are on Atlantic Time which is one hour later than Eastern Time. Have a wonderful trip!!!!

Thanks for the information, I will certainly be calling them. The church sounds lovely. Timewise, if it's 9 am Eastern, you are at 10 am Atlantic?

I'm glad you told me, I thought it was the other way round.

Thanks again, can't wait to see your beautiful city! :)

Thanks for the information, I will certainly be calling them. The church sounds lovely. Timewise, if it's 9 am Eastern, you are at 10 am Atlantic?

I'm glad you told me, I thought it was the other way round.

Thanks again, can't wait to see your beautiful city! :)

That is correct. 9AM Eastern is 10AM here and--in a bit of an oddity--10:30 in Newfoundland!!

Again--I hope you enjoy your trip,

Archived